Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone started pulling out their own hair? !! I guess it's an actual addiction and I don't know why I have suddenly started doing it... I am hoping someone else can relate here...

did you start pulling after your sugery, its called trich something. I had that problem with cutting my hair I couldnt stop cutting it I had to finally shave my head and get rid of all my scissors and now I have it under control. So I hope my surgery on June 2nd doesnt cause me to fall back into that addiction.

This is often brought on by stress and anxiety which I can assume are things we will all deal with after a procedure like this! Drastic changes occurring. You may want to talk with your doctor and/ or-therapist about this to get some guidance.

I had surgery at the end of january and I started noticing this weird hair pulling thing about a month ago. I am gonna talk to my doctor about it as soon as I can for sure. Thanks for your replys. I feel like such a wierdo :/

Well if food was a way to deal with stress/anxiety and you don't have that to cope with then you could easily pick up a different way to cope. Maybe see a counselor and learn some new coping skills that are healthier.

Omg, I thought I was a freak. I did this for years starting as a teenager. I had bald Patches on each backside of my head. I ended up shaving the back of my head leaving the top part down. I got it under control years back and don't pull it anymore. Now I am a little nervous, Yikes!!!

It's getting better because I'm aware of it, but I still catch myself doing it sometimes while I'm driving..

Hope I dont go back to doing it. Ididnt pull though i cut with a scissors finay had to shave myhead and it helped. It was all because I had a broken heart

I find I'm touching my hair all the time now since I'm starting to shed. I'm not pulling hair but it's like I'm obsessed with assessing the Hair loss. I have a ton of hair, but it's shedding big time.

It's called trichotillomania and I am not in the position to diagnose people but my guess would be that before surgery you would have been living with an underlying anxiety or stress issue. Maybe your mode of coping mechanism was eating, cooking or planning meals previous to surgery? Now that you are unable to use that coping mechanism, you are pulling hair... That's OK and well done to you for picking up on it.

People develop very sophisticated means of directing their attention energy into tasks, chores, hobbies etc and can quite successfully 'cope' through this. Meaning that they can continue to live quite happily.... but if the coping mechanisms are noticeable to others or you are prioritizing carrying out the behavior without the ability to anticipate negative impacts on yourself, others or your lifestyle; drugs, alcohol, obsessive behavior like shopping, eating, gambling or even self harm etc ... Then the means of coping has become toxic to you, not helpful at all.

We all carry 'baggage' and most people aren't aware... Just look into some cognitive brain therapy, counselling or whatever form of help you feel most comfortable with.

Above all, remember that you are human and humans are strange, complex and amazing animals . . . we all need a bit of help figuring out what is really up with us. Xx

I've had TTM since I was a small child. It got worse as I was in college and then law school. Reading has been a trigger for me. It's a coping mechanism that can easily turn into an obsession and then an addiction. My fear of having WSL is that my TTM will worsen as cross addictions can be exasperated. Hope you can stay away from it and nip it while you still can.