Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months post op, how much can you eat?

At 3.5 months out a typical day for me is one 8 oz glass of skim milk with powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury for Breakfast, 1/2 cup of fage yogurt mixed with strawberries for lunch, and 1 egg scrambled with 1/3 cup WW shredded cheese for dinner. A snack might be the other half of the yogurt.

I don't know how that compares with others but I can eat all that easily.

B.

At four months I was eating about 1/4 to 1/3 cup chunky foods, or about 6 ounces of things like yogurt and thick liquids or purees. At 5 months out, I can reasonably eat about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of chunkies and about 8 ounces of purees, but I always keep my portions to 1/2 cup, except for greek yogurt which my NUT told me to eat the full 8 ounces of.

In terms of what I eat...well, the only things I don't eat are rice and Pasta because they fill me up too fast. I tend to try to stay away from breads and starchy veggies because they are sliders for me. I do occasionally have a treat, like Cookies, chips, etc, but I keep it to one single measured serving or less per week. I tend to lose at a steady rate even when I eat these things, but I know many people who can't; I consider myself lucky. I get in a single serving of veg per day, and try to get in a couple servings of fruit per week (apples mostly).

I will usually cook up a big pot of something on the weekend and eat it three meals a day for almost a week. Last week was turkey chilli with beans; this week its Thai green curry with chicken and veggies. Next week I'm thinking low-fat beef stew or low carb spare ribs.

The only other thing I eat daily without fail is the 1/2 cup of 2% milk I put in my Cappuccino in the morning. :)

I am 3 months out and a typical day would be an egg and veggie sausage patty for Breakfast (or 1/2 cup of kashi Cereal high Protein with 1/2 c 1% milk)

For lunch it is usually 3 ounces of meat, either grilled chicken breast, fish, or steak (yep, my sleeve likes beef) along with either a 1/4 c of cooked veggies (asparagus, spinach, broccolini), or I will cut up the meat and toss it with romaine and grape tomatoes and Walden Farms no cal dressing.

dinner is usually similar to lunch-meat either by itself or with 1/4 c cooked veggies.

Sleeve not impressed with pork-it is about the only thing I can't tolerate-and I pretty much avoid Pasta, bread, white potatoes, or rice. I will occassionally have roasted sweet potato with my meal because it is chock full of good nutrition.

Snacks are either a 5.3 ounce greek yogurt, baby bel wheel of cheese, beef jerkey, or 1/2 an apple with PB2 on it.

All in all, I tolerate most things but I weigh and measure EVERYTHING. I have a scale that does grams and ounces and I will even measure my 1/2 and 1/2 for my morning coffee (not decaf). I log it into MFP every day and I average 850 calories/day.

I will also indulge in a Chike coffee shake now and again but for the most part, I avoid Protein drinks and bars because they just flat out nauseate me. I have had steady weight loss every week, no stalls thus far. I have a feeling when I start weight training, I may stall as fluids shift, but I try and stay very honest about my intake and calorie deficit. I will adjust my BMR calorie requirement about every 20 pounds down knowing that as I lose more weight, my BMR changes as well.

At 9 weeks post-op, I had all the ingredients (Protein, starch, vegetables) necessary to make chili. I would make up a pot of chili and eat it for my meals. The chili was a high Protein variant with about twice the protein as store bought chili. At 4 months, I was eating 1/2 cup per meal. I am at the one year anniversary of the surgery and still eating chili but I have added a variety of high-protein homemade Soups to the list.

i will be 5 months on the 11th of May, I am not eating enough per my NUT... i am only getting in 550-600 cals a day... so my goal is to get up to 800-850. Every day I have one egg white scrambled, am snack would be 1/2 apple (only 3-4 times a week) with a slice of low fat cheese, the other days i have 5oz of my Protein shake. lunch & dinner normally are the same and would be left overs. this would be about 2oz of Shrimp, Fish, chicken or steak (i can not do anything from a PIG - my body doesn't like it anymore) and it will have either a table spoon of veggies or brown rice (cant do both) pm stack would be 5oz of Protein Shake or some greek yogurt. I can get in about 3 oz of foods per meal, i can do about 5-6 oz of Protein shakes...

@Unhappysleever You will just know... - i actually feel like i am going to get sick right away when i put any pork type products into my mouth.. or pasta/bread etc... but always go back after some time has passed & try them again, you body & taste buds are always changing... :) (some people dont have any reaction to food)

4 1/2 months out. Examples of things I can eat in a single sitting so that I am satisfied but not full.....

1 egg with no more than 1 tbls meat or cheese added

1 Chobani flip yogurt

1" x 1" chunk of pork loin with 1 brussel sprout and 1 piece of yellow squash

1 Natures Valley Protein bar

1/4 can of tuna or crab with a bit of mayo

10-15 mixed nuts

1/2 of a 1/4 lb burger no bun

1/2 avocado

1/4 cup refried Beans

1/3 can Soup

cheese stick wrapped in a piece of thin sliced deli meat

1/3 apple with 2 tbls PB2

I drink at least 1 large (20-32oz/35-40g protein) everyday. I often blend 1/2 banana in my shake and try to nibble on some fruit and veggies at least once/day....blueberries, apples, spinach, squash, green Beans, edamame, and V8 juice are go to's. Haven't had bread, Pasta, or rice, but I have had a bite or two of chocolate cake, ice cream and tiramisu. Also had 1/2 glass wine on 2 occasions and 1/2 Bloody Mary.

Edited by Kindle

Thanks for the replies, how does one know when a certain food no longer agrees with your new tummy???

You will know, for me it's sugar. I crave it but if I give in, I feel like I'm going to be sick within minutes. Mind you, I've never thrown up, from sugar or anything else, but the feeling of sickness can make me miserable for about 30-45 minutes. It's a process, your body will communicate what it likes and what it doesn't. I'm only 5 months out and certainly no expert. I haven't mastered managing 'unfriendly' cravings yet so, like an idiot, I suffer regularly):

Sweet stuff doesn't sit real well with me, either. I've had a bite or two of deserts, but that's it. Of course they taste great but The sugar makes me very uncomfortable. Artificial sweeteners also seem to irritate my sleeve and I'm hating the taste of them. I switched to diluted organic fruit juices and have a whole cupboard full of crystal light, Mio and propel zero powders. I can't drink the Vitamin Water zero or Sobe Lifewater 0 calorie anymore. But the regular versions are fine if I dilute them. Actually after 3 1/2 months I was finally able to drink plain water again so that's what I mostly do.

Hi has any of you hit a stall? I know it's annoying but I am very stressed out, it's been like 2 weeks I have not lost 1lb and I feel guilty like as if I was doing something wrong :(

Hi has any of you hit a stall? I know it's annoying but I am very stressed out, it's been like 2 weeks I have not lost 1lb and I feel guilty like as if I was doing something wrong :(

Of course we have... we all will at one point or another. Try not to stress - 2 weeks is nothing... i know it totally sucks & feels like forever, but it wont last forever... during a stall, you have to look for the NSV - like lost inches, or fitting into something smaller, underware falling down... its those little things that will help you during the stalls... cause they are going to happen... Try to up your workout, or look at your food intake, lower your carbs, increase your Water, maybe do a few days of just Protein shakes... something to "shake" things up a bit... Good luck to you! (remember this wont last forever)

Oh yeah, I'm on my third stall and all three have been 2 weeks or more each time. Really frustrating but the previous post from skinnygirlwithin holds some very good advice. Look for body changes and how your clothes fit differently. Up the Water, Protein and workout to shock your system. I've also been told that getting a massage is a great way to get past a stall. Not only is it deserved for all the hard work you've been doing but the massage itself will help detox the body issues and flush out any junk that's in your body. I think that may just be what's in order for this girl too!

Here's a typical day's food for me. I've been eating pretty much this amount everyday since my 1 year surgerversary. :-)