Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2014 RNY/Bypass Post Op Support Group

Hello everyone, just sending an update! I saw the surgeon and team yesterday. Incisions are looking good. The glue is slowly coming off. I can finally drive but no swimming for four more weeks. Still having the cramping feeling when I drink. Last week I had a such a problem with pureed that I was barely getting any liquid or food down. So they agreed to let me start soft foods early. Best thing because my stomach agreed with it. The issue was still with liquids even Water, cold and room temperature. I've tried other liquids with the same issue. Not drinking from any straws or anything. So now they want me to go ahead with drinking and eating at the same time. Normally they recommend to wait 30 minutes before and after meals to drink. The surgeon states things inside of me were very irritated and may take longer to heal. The biggest surprise to him was pancreas being so scared. Hence why the surgery took over 5 hours. He thinks the liquids are emptying out of my stomach faster and may be causing the "cramping". Tried this yesterday and felt full longer but was able to get more to eat and drink doing it this way than I was.

I've been a little more active lately. This only makes me thirstier. Doctor states just keep the liquids going while walking too that way I don't have to play catch up to the thirst.

Good news now, I'm down to 36 lbs since the start and since surgery I've lost 18 lbs. It's a start and I'll take it.

MommieD I'm glad that your doing well, take one day still a time your body is adjusting, congrats on your weight lost.

Hi. I had my RNY bypass on May 27th. I was only kept in the hospital one night. I wish they had kept me longer b/c I was in extreme pain. Post-op I have been having a lot of nausea and pain. I haven't thrown up yet and seem to be constipated no matter how much Water I drink.

I have discovered the post-bariatric shakes & drinks from BariatricChoice.com. They have been integral for me as they are about the only thinks I can stand to ingest right now. My favorite is the chocolate Protein shake/pudding that is also aspartame free. They have a sampler pack where you can taste all the flavors.

Pre-op, I also got their sampler pack of Protein Bars so that I could see which ones I like best.

The nausea has been really bad. I take Zofran every 4 hours and that seems to help. I tried phenegren, but it didn't do anything for me. So it's back to Zofran for me. I eat the sugar-free Popsicles and that seems to help some. Any other suggestions?

As far as the pain goes, I've tried everything and only thing that helps is the narcotic stuff. Which leads to Constipation. Vicious cycle. I'm 9 days out from surgery and wondering when the pain & nausea will end. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Have they tried the scopolamine patch behind the ear for you? I had pretty severe pain as well plus the Constipation to the extreme. I walked a lot, used heating pad and doctor said why don't we try a muscle relaxer. So we did and I believe it helped. But I was pretty hunched over for about 2 weeks. It will get better...;)

@BigGirl2014: I'm sorry you have been having some issues. I know exactly how you feel because I was in a ton of pain (meds did not help) and have been nauseous for no apparent reason ever since.

I would suggest Emetrol (over-the-counter at any drugstore). I got really dehydrated over the last couple of days and had to go in and get IV fluids for 10 hours (ugh) because I was so nauseous. Doc won't give me meds for some reason, so I'm left to my own vices. The Emetrol really helped. I would definitely suggest taking a tablespoon of it and see how you feel in about 15-20 minutes. Take half of it, wait a minute then the other half. It hurt my stomach at first, then I felt relief. I have been fine since yesterday when I got it. Drink LOTS of Water too!

The only other thing is the popsicles are sort of helpful, but that's all I've got for now. Best of luck to you, keep us updated.

My body hates me. That is all. :(

Yes I'm still on Clear Liquids I'm hoping my nurse calls me today to give me the ok on Protein Shakes. I'm getting nauseous drinking the broth and Jello so I'm only drinking Water and crystal light and popsicles. The thought of broth makes me sick. I don't feel hungry at all. Do you?

Yes I'm still on clear liquids I'm hoping my nurse calls me today to give me the ok on Protein Shakes. I'm getting nauseous drinking the broth and Jello so I'm only drinking Water and crystal light and popsicles. The thought of broth makes me sick. I don't feel hungry at all. Do you?

Ok I just noticed I copied but net had anything to say. Lol. I think it was the hydro that I'm on. Lol. I had my surgery yesterday. So sorry about that

Is anyone having any issues with restless legs? If so, do you have any suggestions?

I've been getting really sick of Protein Shakes and seem to get sick of food more easily. Is anyone else having that? Any suggestions?

I'm getting tired of my Protein shakes but if I can get one down (50g of protein) first thing in the morning I don't feel so much pressure to have nothing but protein for the remainder of the day. For me, food just doesn't taste the same now. I'm a month out from surgery and allowed to eat anything I can tolerate. Some days nothing tastes right, some days everything, including Water, upsets my stomach. I've been able to have a few of my formerly favorite foods but they've been disappointing. I don't think this will be permanent, but even if it is, I'm ok with food playing a different role in my life.

Had a bad set back, had allergic reaction, now have pancreatitis, urinary track infection and dehydration. I'm in hospital again and probably be here for a few days. I'll keep you all updated!