Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Article about weight loss surgery/cosmetic surgery

This article says that those who have cosmetic surgery after massive weight loss tend to keep the weight off longer/better.

The study said those who lost the weight but did not have body contouring surgery gained back an average of 50 pounds. Those who DID have body contouring surgery only gained back an average of 13 pounds.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/after-huge-weight-loss-sagging-skin-remains-n44481

I have been contemplating plastics and this goes down in the pro's column for me.

I've been contemplating as well. Thank you for this info. One more added to my pros list too!!

I felt like plastics was similar to getting rid of the 3X sweatpants...you know, dont need that extra skin anymore, not useful. It motivates me because I feel so confident in my body...really...best body since I was about 22. I am only 6 months from the reconstruction but it was a game changer for me.

I've seen a couple of things like this lately. I wonder what the reason for lower regain is? Could be that more motivated people seek plastics, or could be that having had the plastics increases your motivation to keep the improvement, or maybe something else all together? I think this would be a great research project. Either way, very interesting, and thanks for posting. I haven't decided yet, but I imagine I'm heading for some plastics at some point. I have noticed a mild improvement in my skin the past month or so, but I know it's never going away totally.

When I had excess skin, I still felt kinda fat. i knew in my head it was skin, but it looked like fat to me. I worked on alot of self acceptance, and I was "okay" with it preplastics, but ... i still felt like I had a good layer of fat.

Yesterday a friend of mine said "you are now officially a skinny girl" - meaning I no longer need Shapewear, cleverly disguised clothing. It is hard to explain, but post reconstructive plastic surgery I feel like I truly am at goal now.

I suspect that the feeling of really looking more like a normal person is motivational for many - but only time will tell. I am 2.5 years out from my sleeve, still plenty of time to regain. :)

I was told that one major reason for less regain after plastics is that they remove skin and with that, what used to be fat cells. Many people have Lipo at the same time for stubborn problem areas as well which removes even.

My primary care doc explained it like this - we have shrunk the fat cells through the weight loss, but they never actually disappear unless they are surgically removed. That is why those of us who have been overweight or obese always tend to gain weight more easily - the fat cells are lying in wait just looking forward to plumping up again. With plastics, you remove cells and then have less chance of regain as a result.

Plus, I think agree that the visual change is pretty motivating. In my before photos I looked as if I was carrying quite a bit of excess weight - after they removed 4.5 lbs of skin from my extended Tummy Tuck and thigh lift and it was a world of difference.

Very interesting article. I am planning for surgery in a year. I always wondered if those who had surgery kept the weight off better. It just seems logical that you would.

Sometimes I hold my tummy up or pull my arms back and think about how they would look without the extra skin, but I don't have enough to want surgery. I don't require shapeware and skin doesn't hang enough to overlap anywhere.

Part of that is my age. If I were in my 40s or younger I would feel differently I think. I don't want the pain and expense. If anything, I could use a facelift and necklift, but I may enter my 60s a little wrinkly and saggy. It's only two years away for me.

However, I too find that research fascinating. I'm guessing it's a combination of things already mentioned: more motivated people have the surgery, fat cells are removed, and seeing a great shape is a great motivator.

Lynda

Lynda, I am 57 and was wondering what others close to my age felt about this. I am positive I want the face and neck work.. I am pretty sure I want to do the arms next. I may do the tummy but do not think I will do the thighs or breasts.. I am single will probably stay that way at this point in my life and dont see the necessity of new boobs.. Main concern are the things that are impossible or difficult to hide.

I am just over a year out from a BL and TT - I'll be 4 years post sleeve in July. My reasons for getting rid of the excess skin and overall droppiness of the mid section was that it didn't look like my face! I had the body of an 80 year old and a face of a 40 year old... it was so discouraging, I didn't really feel the benefit of losing all my weight.

Now it has gone, especially the tummy area., I am a lot more mobile and can (when energy levels permit) do high cardio work outs; I don't have the overhang flapping around and pulling my back. Back pain and a recurrent groin injury have both gone since... I feel like my body is properly aligned, if that makes sense?

I think because I paid for all my surgeries, I am more inclined to 'fight' to keep the weight off and to continue to lose (not at surgeon's goal, still, but not giving up either). I don't take any of this for granted... it is hard work, but that's ok...

So yea, there are plenty of different reasons why people maintain and regain... it is a mix up really!

I am 64 and will be getting my Tummy Tuck June 5, while I hope it will help with regain I would really like my clothes to fit better.

I would maybe like to have my arms done at some point but want to see how the tummy goes first. I seem to have to get my clothes a size bigger than I really need to go over the extra skin. I will try to post some pictures afterwards.