Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need a little advice...I have no enjoyment when eating

I am 3 weeks post op and I don't regret my decision to have my surgery, however I find this transition continually difficult. I just don't understand my sleeve and it's cues to me! Sometimes I drink Water and I'm fine, the next time I drink water and I get some pain in my chest from unknowingly drinking too fast (I guess). Eating too fast is another problem...I don't realize I'm full like I see that other people do...I recognize hunger, but I usually get so tired of sitting there and eating so slowly that I just stop eating. I can definitely eat more than 3 bites of cottage cheese, it just becomes so frustrating to eat so slow that I really don't enjoy food at all.

I guess another thing that bothers me is that I have had to really be my own advocate and adjust my diet and medications on my own and that has been hard. My program dictates that I have only Clear liquids for 2 weeks post op and ONLY Protein Shakes and Clear Liquids for an additional 6 weeks. That was not working for me and I tried to get assistance numerous times from my program (NUT, Program Director RN, surgeon), but my frustrations fell on deaf ears. Plus, I was taken off almost all my hypertension meds immediately after surgery, then my blood pressure shot through the roof (201/123) and it was taken as seriously as it needed to be. I went back on my old medication regimen and I'm doing better now, but it's been a rocky road. I'm still tired a lot and can sleep 12 hours a day (with a nap). Other than walking a couple of blocks to and from work a few days a week, I'm not exercising yet.

I guess my question are, when do things start getting back to normal? When do I start enjoying this journey instead of enduring it? Should I start forcing myself to exercise since it has been 3 weeks since surgery?

Any advice is welcomed...I just feel like I need to hear from people who are supportive and really understand how I feel!

I literally had to force myself to eat and drink for the first 2-3 months. I would have just as soon gotten everything IV because it was such a chore to eat. Then I started feeling normal and at 4 1/2 months out I enjoy everything I eat. I learned to be kind of picky since I can only eat such a tiny amount, I want every bite to be wonderful.

Edited by Kindle

I remember that point.... at three weeks I felt as you do, and I can tell you it gets much much better! It took me 6 weeks to get the right balance between Water, Protein and calories. People talk about eating 650 calories.... there was no way I could function on so few calories. I felt light headed and crappy until I found the right mix of things. Then I felt ok but not great for another 2 months. This is a huge surgery and it takes lots of time to heal.

I'm sorry that your doctor isn't taking your issues seriously, and am glad that you are getting the blood pressure taken care of. You will get off all those meds, but just not overnight.

Here was my routine when I was allowed soft foods (2 weeks post surgery). Premier Protein shakes (bought at Costco), Greek yogurt fortified with GNC unflavored whey Protein powder, - those both have 30 grams of Protein, I alternated a shake or Greek yogurt for Breakfast every morning. My other meals were cottage cheese, pureed Soups, and creamy Peanut Butter. Plus the 60 oz of Water per day and I worked my way up to 800 calories.

8 weeks without solid food seems long to me, but your doctor knows your medical history and there is wide variability in post surgery instructions from surgeon to surgeon.

I didn't start enjoying food until 3 or 4 months post surgery. I figure that is part of the life changing aspect of this surgery. You don't want to eat, and have to force the protein and water in for the first few months. It gives you time to change your relationship with food.

Good luck to you, I'm sure you will do very well once you get past this rough initial stage!

I am glad you are asking about exercise because I will be 4 weeks out on Tuesday and I just don't have the energy. I work in my garden for 1/2 hour when I get home but that's it and even sometimes that seems like to much. When do you start forcing exercise ? My eating is OK I am missing some solid foods, and my drinking is fine. I get all my Protein in with the Premier Protein shakes - choc. but I am concerned that I am not losing but the calories are so low, I am tired, so I am with you - when do we have to force the exercise and feel a little normal.

I feel for you! It took me a good 10 weeks I'd say to really grasp the sleeve. I would eat too much and it would come right back up, or I'd try to eat too fast, or I got sick of the same 'ole same 'ole foods. By 12 weeks, I was considered "healed" by my team, and I got the opportunity to try more things. I was tired a lot, and still am, mainly because of blood pressure and diabetes med. changes, I imagine. I used to train hard in terms of exercise, now I look at all aspects of my life. Steps I take, stairs I take, laundry, housework, anything that makes me breathe hard or break a sweat.

I cannot believe your bariatric program! How do they expect people to get better on 8 weeks of liquids? That is unbelievable. Good for you for advocating for yourself.

I guess I'm back to normal now (I am almost 5 months out) but it's a new normal. There are moments I enjoy the journey, good blood glucose, good cholesterol, no sleep apnea, getting smaller, etc. But I think a lot of moments are moments of endurance and calculation. Should you force yourself to exercise? Maybe start at 10 minutes 3 times a week, and consider everything you do that can be counted as movement. As you get stronger, exercise will become easier. I remember Oprah once saying she hated every moment of getting on the treadmill every morning, and I agree with her. I always hate exercise-- until I am done. Then the endorphins kick in!

I hope things get bearable for you very soon. Best of luck!

Amy

I agree with everyone else and also wanted to say that this was an important part of the journey for me. I was on liquids for almost six weeks. After I started eating real food, it seemed like more trouble than it was worth, especially since it frequently caused pain.

At four months out, I enjoy the taste of food now, but it doesn't drive my actions. I have a strong connection in my mind now between food and providing my body with what it needs to survive and thrive - I never had that before. I don't have the cravings for food that isn't good for me (though I enjoy a bit now and then).

I thank you all for the support! Makes me feel a lot better about this struggle. I know it will all be worth it and I will follow through with suggestions.

Mokamama, it sounds to me like you are doing a great job!! Follow the Drs orders. I know my surgeon has told me to get into my regular Dr (which is on my list for tomorrow). My Surgeon said that the primary care physicians don't always like when surgeons mess with their prescriptions. If you are not getting all the help you need from your surgeon's office, your primary care physician's office may have good resources for you as well. I hope you are also involved in a support group locally. If your Dr's office didn't supply this, call hospitals in your area and ask to talk to the Bariatrics departments or nurse. This board is great, but live people going through the same experience can be very helpful.

Take care!!

This is all completely normal. Yes it gets better. Some people by three or four months, others after six months.

My surgery was April 14th. I only had to do 2 weeks of full liquids and I'm almost done with my 2 weeks of soft foods. I start full solids on Monday. I too don't enjoy eating as much because of how long it takes me, but this is just something I'll have to get used to. There are many foods I had cravings for and when I finally got to eat them, it wasn't that great. Sorry you have to be on liquids so long, that doesn't help. Good luck to you.

Mokamami-I sent you a message a while ago. Get in touch with me when you can. I am right with you with those Protein Shakes. Hard to tolerate for 4 weeks..I can only stomach one a day.Tony gave me some other options not the NUT.

I'm glad I found this posting. You're so right...this seems like more of a journey about endurance than anything else some days. I have to keep reminding myself that my journey/experience will be different than others but it isn't always easy. Good luck to you and thank you for sharing!

Mokamami-I sent you a message a while ago. Get in touch with me when you can. I am right with you with those Protein shakes. Hard to tolerate for 4 weeks..I can only stomach one a day.Tony gave me some other options not the NUT.

Can someone tell me what the NUT is for sure???? Is it nutritionist???

Yes nut is for nutrionist