Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left Shoulder Pain after eating

Hey, I am 5 months post op and within the last couple of weeks I am getting pains in my left shoulder- the same pain I had after my surgery. I have read that it is cause from eating to fast or much- I am being very careful to chew very well and slow- the pain starts with just a couple of bites and I know I am not full or satisified. For example this morning I had a quarter cup of egg whites done in the microwave and a tbs of salsa on the side, by my third bite I was in pain. I didnt have this issue before and I am starting to get a little freaked out as to why it would just start happening. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This sound like a question for your surgeon? I've not seen a similar question in the last 3 years except for patients just out of surgery? At first I thought it might be the vagus nerve beig overstimulated but probably not?

I have this occasionally...sometimes while I eat, as well as after exercise. I have discussed it with my surgeon, and he says it's due to irritation to the vagus nerve. He said it's common with the lapband for the vagus nerve to be irritated (but not eveyone gets the referred shoulder pain). From what he said, there isn't much they can do for it. For me, It doesn't happen all the time, but I have found that certain foods seem to trigger it (bread, eggs and oatmeal).

I would discuss it with your surgeon so they can rule out any other problem that may be causing this discomfort for you.

Good luck!

Thanks! I had called my surgeon as he is in Mexico and he pretty much said the same thing about the nerve. I just didn't know if someone had similar with suggestions or any relief :) maybe it's the eggs as I am trying to stick to a similar meal plan each day till I get to my goal. I will try passing on the eggs and substituting with something else to see how it works out.

Thanks for your response :)

Seems like it's worth checking out other possibilities besides the band in case something is up with the gall bladder or something like that. Referred pain can be strange sometimes. I would get right into the doctor. Obviously not your surgeon if he's in Mex, but your regular doctor? Finally had my GB out years ago after almost a year of trying to figure it out myself. My pain was left shoulder, not presenting in the usual way, but a sonogram showed the GB was full of stones. Best wishes to you!

I had the same problem for the longest time and the Dr's office just kept telling me it's normal and it will pass and it's just gas. Well I couldn't stand getting that pain so often so I read more into it and listened to my body more closely and I discovered that it's your body telling you that your getting full. After my surgery I never got that full sensation ever again I'm not sure why and the dr gave me multiple reason why but it's your body that you really need to be paying attention to. I noticed that my body tells me I'm full when I get that left shoulder pain or a runny nose/ stuffy or I start sneezing. I noticed it every time I would eat and get to a point to where I should be stopping. Your body does respond to things it doesn't like. If you fill your small pouch too much your food will come back up. So my suggestion to you is to pay closer attention and really listen and look for the signs. Everyone is different so you may have different signals that are triggered when your full. I hope this helps. I wish I would have had more insight when I had my concerns. This forum really helped me figure out a lot of other things and changes throughout my journey. Good luck to you.

Lindsay

On 5/3/2014 at 11:32 AM, Bandedchick2013 said:

Hey, I am 5 months post op and within the last couple of weeks I am getting pains in my left shoulder- the same pain I had after my surgery. I have read that it is cause from eating to fast or much- I am being very careful to chew very well and slow- the pain starts with just a couple of bites and I know I am not full or satisified. For example this morning I had a quarter cup of egg whites done in the microwave and a tbs of salsa on the side, by my third bite I was in pain. I didnt have this issue before and I am starting to get a little freaked out as to why it would just start happening. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I've had a gastric bypass after sleeve surgery on the 16th of January cause my stomach from sleeve kept getting lodged in the hiatel hernia that now has been repaired 3 times. My surgeon suggested getting bypass to prevent this from occurring again. But 3 days now I've been having that same pain in left shoulder area up to side of neck on left side when eating certain foods. I tried the soft blended egg no problem but I tried other blended food even a fruit smoothie and the pain comes again. Not with everything I eat or drink just certain foods. I tried soft blended grits no problem. But I have to stop eating rare back in chair sit for awhile and not eat. Then it passes. So I googled that symptom with bypass surgery and it says a anastomotic leakage. So now I will call my doctor or hospital in morning to see what to do