Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question, please tell me if this has happened to you!

Yesterday was an exceptionally hard day for me to get anything down. I managed about 18 ounces of Protein Drink, 8 ounces of tea and maybe 3 ounces of Soup. The soup was the last thing that I had at around 7p. I went to bed and woke up at 4am coughing and choking on bile. I went to the bathroom and threw up bile for about ten minutes. Has this happened to anyone else?

-MM

I definitely haven't had the experience of bile coming up yet, but I have had days where I have a dry hacking like I want to throw up but nothing comes out. It sounds like really bad heartburn issues, Post op I had really bad GERD (heartburn issues) and if I ate and went to bed too soon I would wake up the next day coughing and throwing up bile , bile comes up because your stomach is basically empty so that is all that can come up, I know it sucks! Did your surgeon place you on PPI's because they really worked for me.. Hope you get better soon.. :rolleyes:

I'm currently taking 40mg of omeprazole (Prilosec) nightly. Presurgery, I didn't have any problems with acid. Could taking the pills be causing the problem?

-MM

I doubt its the pills but you never know, you should definitely let the surgeon know. Instead of the once daily I had to be placed on two daily and I found that to be very helpful. That may work, but make sure to talk to your surgeon first before trying the two a day.

I have my 2 week post op on Thursday but I think I'll email them today so I can hear back on Monday as to whether I should be on the pills or not.

Having never had any issues like this before I've been reading about it ever since I posted this morning... This article was interesting:

http://chriskresser.com/the-hidden-causes-of-heartburn-and-gerd

As a rule I prefer no medication and all natural approaches when possible. But of course not to the point I my own detriment.

Since my surgery I have had so much gas. I burp like crazy after almost ever bite of anything or sip of anything that enters my body. It gives me chest pains and stomach pains. It's awful. I can't even get close to 64 ounces.

Last night was scary and awful. I've never ha anything like that happen to me before and is be happy to never ever have it happen again.

-MM

You and I definitely have the same approach when it comes to medication and taking the natural route, I cant agree with you more because I am the same way. Nonetheless it really sounds alarming what you are going through, I would definitely run it by the doctor to see what his recommendation would be. I did read that gas, belching, stomach pain, chest pain and even shoulder pain can come from eating too fast or too much which causes gas. I find that when I eat a smidge over I start belching which is a sign that I ate a bit much or that I ate too fast. So what I make sure I do now is chew really slowly (chew 22) and then wait 30 seconds before the next bite and repeat and it has helped more with the side effects. Definitely talk to your surgeon, hope everything works out for the best. This is a really big decision we made and our journey is going to have some rough Patches but I feel that I definitely made the best decision for my health, life and for my kids. Best of luck..

Thanks for all the advice. I'm on liquids only right now but I'll remember the chewing bit when I finally get to have solids again :-)

I made myself a Protein Shake this morning and I'm working on getting that down right now. Hopefully I can since I've hardly had any calories in the last week and a half.

-MM

My omeprazole says specifically to take in the morning an hour before Breakfast. Maybe that might help? Hope it gets better! That kind of reflux can cause some major damage!!

I've always had better luck with Nexium...it actually helps heal your reflux versus just helping with symptoms. It's expensive though so not all insurance covers it. You may just have to tweak your medicine until the acid lets up. We are much more likely to experience acid reflux because of our sleeves. Also, if you are into natural health you've probably been to Whole Foods. They have Tummy Drops in ginger and peppermint, the ginger helps majorly with reflux and is very natural. Also things like Mylanta and Tums can be helpful in the moment when the acid flares up which is always worse at night.

Try propping up your pillows too, good luck!

Sleeveless in Seattle: OMG! I think that might be it!! I was taking my pill in the morning but mornings are rough for me as far as getting anything down so I switched it to nights, before bed. I will switch it back in the morning. Worth a shot.

-MM

I had this happen to me. It was reflux. I had it before surgery pretty bad.

But after surgery, I wad told not to eat 2 hours before bed, or else this will happen. It did happen to me. Definitely not fun.

Edited to add this...my nurse said the time of day doesn't matter for the prilosec. Just pick a time and stick with it. She said the middle of the night choking on the ish is reflux because of eating too closely to bedtime. Try timing food and bedtime at least 2 hours apart and see if that resolves your issue. I did it and it hasn't happened since.

Edited by gomekast

Sleeveless in Seattle: OMG! I think that might be it!! I was taking my pill in the morning but mornings are rough for me as far as getting anything down so I switched it to nights, before bed. I will switch it back in the morning. Worth a shot. -MM

However if you take any thyroid meds that and the Prilosec need to be taken an hour apart from each other. I take my Prilosec at night.

It sounds to me that your band is too full. I have had the same situation happen to me, but it was due to major stress in my life. With stress you retain Water, that water retention will put pressure on the outer side of the band and treat it like you would have just gotten a fill, but an over fill. I have unfortunately also had a Dr. (Don't Dr. shop, this may happen to you) over fill me once as well and it is the same as I call it "Jimmy Hendrixing" effects. There is nothing like being woken up in the middle of a deep sleep choking on your own vomit while trying to breathe at the same time. It's horrible and not good for your body and band. My Dr. is located in CA and I was unable to make the trip down there for 3 months. (With the Dr. that overfilled me that one time I am really Leary about going to any other Dr.) My Dr. felt my port and stomach, said my band was really tight, removed 1cc and I have been perfect ever since. This may not be the issue, but it's worth looking into it. Good Luck!!

It sounds to me that your band is too full. I have had the same situation happen to me, but it was due to major stress in my life. With stress you retain Water, that water retention will put pressure on the outer side of the band and treat it like you would have just gotten a fill, but an over fill. I have unfortunately also had a Dr. (Don't Dr. shop, this may happen to you) over fill me once as well and it is the same as I call it "Jimmy Hendrixing" effects. There is nothing like being woken up in the middle of a deep sleep choking on your own vomit while trying to breathe at the same time. It's horrible and not good for your body and band. My Dr. is located in CA and I was unable to make the trip down there for 3 months. (With the Dr. that overfilled me that one time I am really Leary about going to any other Dr.) My Dr. felt my port and stomach, said my band was really tight, removed 1cc and I have been perfect ever since. This may not be the issue, but it's worth looking into it. Good Luck!!

I'm not banded :-) I have the sleeve.

-MM