Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have multiple chronic illnesses but the one that actually worries me when considering surgery is my Migraines. I have seen the research that says that migraines improve for most patients. But, one of my triggers seems to be not eating. I have discovered that eating more Protein means I get to eat less often (and let's face it, I must be eating more than enough to be in this boat!). But I really do have issues if I don't eat something at least 3 times daily and right now (because I'm more sensitive to triggers because I've been getting more migraines for other reasons), I am eating 4-6 small meals per day.

Has anyone had their migraines get worse after surgery. I'm not talking about that temporary worse from the post surgery diet change--I can handle that. I mean worse say 4-6 months post surgery.

Georgia

I have been a long time sufferer of Migraines, since childhood. It was hard at first when I weaned myself off of caffeine, but really I have only had one maybe two mild migraines since my surgery. I am 6 months post op. I think being caffeine free and eating better (less processed foods) has helped me. I hope the surgery helps you with your migraines. I know how debilitating they can be. good luck to you!!

I have Migraines and have had them off and on my entire life. I honestly get them about the same as I did before, just not as intense. Some of my headaches were caused by tension in my neck and back, since losing weight that is a little better.

Edited by jamilyne 102668

Georgia...I have had Migraines in the past as well...haven't had one in over 3 months...not sure if that is due to the surgery or not (although I had the band-not gastric sleeve), but rest assured that I personally feel it is because I am only eating 3 meals a day and eating healthier. have found a lot has changed since I have had my surgery. I start exercising in a couple days (cleared from doctor-health issues) as well and hoping that's gonna help me even more. and since you said you have to eat 3 times a day you are gonna do wonderful...faith dearheart!!! I am hoping this actually helps you out since I know how terribly they feel...they used to kick my butt...hang in there and I hope you start feeling better soon. take care Georgia (by the way love your name...LOL)

I too can get Migraines from not eating. I have not seen a change really in my migraines since my rny. However I make sure to snack on something in between meals to make sure my stomach never gets too empty. I tend to get a little nauseous if I wait too long to eat.

Once you are beyond the post-op liquids phase, you are eating every 3-4 hours. I always have a snack available before true hunger sets in. Even during the liquids phase you are drinking your calories multiple times daily. Hopefully this will help you!

Thank you guys! I hope I'll be in the "it doesn't help or hurt" group (I would love to be in the fewer Migraines group but my daughter weights 100 lbs sopping wet and she gets worse migraines than I do). It helps that no one has said surgery made it worse. And, while I think it's important to look at things from all perspectives, I wonder if part of my worry on this issue is just over worry. Realistically, I have had migraines when I changed my eating before but they've never persisted as long as I ate at least 3-4 times per day.

Georgia

My Migraines intensified in severity and frequency post-op. From two a month to three a week. When one gave me total numbness down one arm and in my throat (very scary) I went to the doctor and got a prescription, which has helped somewhat. As low blood sugar is a trigger there's not a whole lot else I can do.

Sympathy to all fellow sufferers.

I'm going to be trying the Cefaly (new form of TENS for Migraine sufferers). I hope to bring my headaches down prior to surgery. I know that having headaches seems to trigger more headaches (I get more sensitive to my low end triggers plus they mess with my sleep which makes them worse).

Georgia

At one point in my life I used to have a headache every single day and Migraines once or twice a month, sometimes more frequently. Not eating has always been a trigger for me, and I was worried about that too. Honestly it didn't bother me after the first few days. I took Tylenol the first week I was on my preop liquid diet and that helped.

I've had 3 surgeries in an effort to end my frequent headache and migraines. Two rounds of Lasik/PRK to fix my screwed up vision and now my RNY. I'm at 2 months now and I've only had one Migraine and almost no regular headaches.

I to have had horrible Migraines. I suffered since about the age of 8-9 years old. I am so happy to report that since my surgery on 12/26/13, I have not had 1. Amazing.. Better then I could of hooped for to be honest. I was Having 2-3 a month pre -op & had a horrible one during my 3 days of Clear Liquids just before my surgery. It was more then I could stand & luckily my surgeon allowed me to take some meds to control the pain in that very critical time. That was the last one I had. Such a wonderful break from them. I know it is very likely that I will have them time to time but this has made me feel very hopeful that they will much less in frequency. Another reason I love & am grateful for my sleeve!

I Hope it gets better for you as well!

@@Georgia Pritchett I hadn't heard of a TENS unit for Migraine or headaches. I have been a victim since I was 13. I see my Neurologist on Jun 2d. Definitely going to bring it up.

For me, some of them have been worse, but two of those causes have been due to dehydration and I was eating too much deli meat.< /p>

We're supposed to drink A LOT of Water. Well when you're also supposed to wait 30 mins to an hour after eating and not drink with your meals it's very easy for us to become dehydrated, watch out for that.

The second trigger for me, was that to try to eat more Protein on the go / quick easy lunches I started doing a lot of deli meat. I think the nitrates in that triggered my next round of Migraines. They are starting to get better. I still get tension migraines but that's not due to the band. Good luck.

As a sufferer of Migraines, I am relieved to report that I have only had one since surgery and I can assign dehydration as the cause.

Pre surgery, I had migraines often. Topamax was prescribed but the side affects were horrible so I found myself living on Excederin Migraine formula which actually worked wonders.

My concern was that I was coming off caffeine and would not be allowed anything other than tylenol. I have found that 3 small meals, 2 healthy Snacks and plenty of Water helps keep headaches in check. They are so infrequent that this topic actually reminded me of the old days of suffering.

I wish you well and hope your results are as positive as mine.