Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone!

I had a consult with a surgeon who told me I'm better off with the sleeve due to its success, I'm so confused I have a BMI of 36 but have severe sleep apnea and I'm boarderline for blood pressure. I have changed doctors due it staff and insurance issues and I have another consult this month and meeting with another nutritionist. I'm reading the post here and see that there are a lot of success stories..... Interesting......

My BMI wasn't super high and I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes . My Primary Care PHysician recommended the Lapband. The sleeve was never a consideration for me. I would explore all options.

My BMI was around 37 so I went with the band. I just wasn't ready for someone to remove 85% of my stomach. But, I do envy the weight loss success sleevers achieve. And to be honest, there are more issues with the band than the sleeve so far.

I think it's a personal decision and you have to be more disciplined with the band because the other WLS will restrict how much you eat where the band, for most of us, only dims our appetites and we have to exercise more will power.

tmf

I was banded. My doctor told me the sleeve is good for anyone with over 100 pounds to loose.

I wanted the band because it was safer. Less complications, and not permanent.

I never considered anything else but the band -- other surgeries way too drastic for me. But that doesn't make it right for everyone. The band requires a lot of followup, which I like as it keeps me accountable. In this first year I see my surgeon 8-11 times. Not all surgeons desire that much patient interaction. I had to get up to 250 to qualify. Hoping to get down to 148 but I have no idea what the right weight for me now will be as it's been a long time. Good luck to you! Whatever you decide, you are doing the most amazing thing in choosing yourself and your healthy future.

I didn't want such an invasive surgery so I went with the band. I had to lose at least 100 lbs. and my PCP tried to convince me to go with gastric bypass or sleeve because she said all her patients with the band only lost around 40 lbs. and I needed to lose alot more that that. How did I do? Well...I now weigh less than she does. ;)

any WLS will and does have complications

and any WLS can have no issues what so ever

and any WLS will have good and bad

and any WLS will have results that vary for whatever reason

(dr issues, patient issues, WLS issues or a combo of both)

but to lose weight, with any WLS, one must eat less calories than they take in (exercise/burn off)….and no WLS is better than the other..

get the surgery your doctor and yourself feels that works for you and your lifestyle….but remember, unless you change from diet thinking/mentality, no WLS will work….it is not an easy fix and when its not coming off (as fast as they thought), its a failure and off to the races of spouting anti WLS comments.

best of luck to you…

WLS is a very personal decision and only you and your Doctor can come to a consensus on which option maybe a fit for you. Success with all WLS is depends on the commitment of the patient. I will tell you from my experience that the band requires a lot of attention and follow up care but I thrived on that and I continue to thrive on it.

I chose the band for the following reasons:

• I did not want my anatomy altered in a way that it could not be reversed if an emergency came up
  • I was very much afraid of not waking up given the fact that I was 450lbs
  • Figured my best shot at recovery was the least invasive procedure.
  • I did not want to worry about Nutritional deficiencies

I did not want to trade in one problem for the possible risk of several others. THAT being said, I am far more educated now about all procedures then I was when I chose the band. My Weight Center was not even offering the Sleeve when I was getting banded two years ago.

Also, want to point out that some people have said "Oh with that much weight to lose you should get bypass or sleeve". That is all rubbish!! I started with a BMI of 79. It's all about discipline and commitment and a good support team behind you.

Good luck and research every single option

<p>WLS is a very personal decision and only you and your Doctor can come to a consensus on which option maybe a fit for you. Success with all WLS is depends on the commitment of the patient. I will tell you from my experience that the band requires a lot of attention and follow up care but I thrived on that and I continue to thrive on it. </p> <p> </p> <p>I chose the band for the following reasons:</p> <ul><li>I did not want my anatomy altered in a way that it could not be reversed if an emergency came up</li> <li>I was very much afraid of not waking up given the fact that I was 450lbs </li> <li>Figured my best shot at recovery was the least invasive procedure.</li> <li>I did not want to worry about Nutritional deficiencies</li> </ul><p>I did not want to trade in one problem for the possible risk of several others. THAT being said, I am far more educated now about all procedures then I was when I chose the band. My Weight Center was not even offering the Sleeve when I was getting banded two years ago.</p> <p> </p> <p>Also, want to point out that some people have said "Oh with that much weight to lose you should get bypass or sleeve". That is all rubbish!! I started with a BMI of 79. It's all about discipline and commitment and a good support team behind you.</p> <p> </p> <p>Good luck and research every single option</p>

Thank you to all of you, I feel the same way as far as this whole process and change of life, for me I know it's all mental with dieting and I know no matter which surgery I choose it's a TOOL! I was leaning towards the band for all the reasons you mentioned. I'm meeting with the nutritionist on Tuesday and the surgeon next week, already had some drama and stress since I had to switch surgeons due to an insurance issue that came out of the blue and that's a long story so since I have already started some of the process it carries over to the next surgeon, planning on August 25th, and going to see if this doctor discourages me for Lap Band! She practices in Columbia Presbyterian in the CIty and at Valley. Thanks again :)