Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is it a fart... nope, it's poop, adult diapers, really?

I'm having gastric bypass in June- I don't have my date yet, but finishing up the doctor's requirements, and insurance is already approved... I have a friend that had the sleeve done in November and she was telling me today that she has to wear adult diapers because she can't differentiate between farting and actually having to go to the bathroom. She's 5 months out and said it's been this way since her surgery. Granted, she did have some colon issues, but this scares me. Could this issue be a result of the gastric surgery? Has any one had issues with thinking they were passing gas, only to have an accident? And if so... how long does this last? This would certainly be a concern for me...

I have heard of this happening but mostly during the liquid eating phases. Even heard of people pooping the bed...personally I am a month out and neither have happened to me. I have had relatively normal BM's and my farts are the same lol. I wonder if she is eating something that simply isn't agreeing with her or if it is related to said colon problem. 5 months seems like a long time, I'd be going to the doctor.

Shortly after my surgery I had a problem with diarrhea and passing gas. I figured out that it was due to becoming lactose intolerant. I cut out all milk and this problem disappeared. A couple months later, I discovered that I was no longer lactose intolerant. I am 11 months post-op and I believe I pass a lot more gas post surgery than pre surgery. But that is the extent of it and I think being forced to transition to adult diapers is an uncommon occurance.

I had chronic diarrhea after surgery but I had that problem before surgery too.

I had accidents a couple of times but I guess that I knew what was happening and got to the bathroom in time to go.

I now only have it sometimes now but basically I'm fine.

I do keep Imodium with me just in case while out. I also memorize where bathrooms are when out and about so if I need to go suddenly I can.

The thing with your friend is rare and I think she should see her doctor about it right away.

Take care and good luck with your surgery.

I had diarrhea issues for about the first year. Only had 3 instances where I did not make it in time to a bathroom and 2 of those I was asleep. I went to a GI doc and he said everything was normal and have me some meds to help control things when I have issues. I take that med maybe 3-4 times a month. It just slows everything down for me.

As for gas - well I have had lots of gas since surgery. I have discovered a wonderful pill called Devrom that helps with the smell. I don't know that I would still be married if it was not for this wonderful little pill.

I had gastric bypass 9 months ago and has never had that problem. However I have had diarrhea before , but no accidents . Follow your diet you will do just fine.

I was concerned about this myself so I asked my surgeon prior to the surgery. He said that things will pretty much be the same after surgery as they are before. The one exception is that if you don't get your fluids in as you should you may have problems with Constipation. Your friends may be have an allergic reaction to lactose. She should try to avoid it and see if that helps.

@@Chelly -- had to laugh about memorizing the bathrooms... I have to pee frequently and my daughter had an urgency issue that makes her not feel the sensation until it's almost too late. So, i know where the bathrooms are in all the chain restaurants and most stores and I tend to have a "second sense" about where the bathrooms are when I walk into some place new.

I have the surgery seven years ago And live in an adult diaper now. I will most likely need them for the rest of my life. There were complications with my surgery. Not only do I have to live in a doll diaper I’ve lost the majority of my hair And ended up in the hospital 11 times for Malnutrition. However my brother had the surgery and it worked great for him and he doesn’t require a diaper. Good luck everyone

Never heard of this personally. No issues here.

Not at pooping bed or diaper stage thankfully, but I have been chronically constipated my entire life. I am in week 3 post-op and suddenly I have to RUN to the bathroom. I’m a bit raw (I know... TMI) maybe it’s the milk I’m adding to my shakes? ?