Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Benefit of Weight Training (w/PICS!)

It takes your body from flab to fab! Loving my transformation! Can't "weight" to see how much further my weight training will take me. I've upped the weight, minimized rest times to 30-60 seconds between sets, 60-120 seconds when doing the "big three". Just downed my N.O.-Xplode and I'll be working my chest and back. I'll have my post workout Protein immediately afterwards. #lovingmysleeve

U look fantastic.

Very inspiring, thanks! I am considering a personal trainer at some point, gym world, etc. A bit daunting but possible. For now I'm working out at home but would be good to have a pro give me some tips on working certain areas. You look great and I'll bet you feel great, too!

How long till you started to see results? I just started a few weeks ago so I'm curious. And you look fantastic!

How long till you started to see results? I just started a few weeks ago so I'm curious. And you look fantastic!

I was going to ask the same thing! I've been doing my free weights daily and really trying to work especially hard on triceps, but I'm so self conscious about my arms and am not seeing definition yet! I've got another 40-50lbs left to lose and I can't possibly imagine my arms getting any more gross... Ugh! Give us any tips you've got!!! You look great!

U look fantastic.

Thank you! I feel great more than anything!

post-147109-0-02968000-1394411540_thumb.jpg

I can't see your pic!

So you are able to take N O xplode after surgery ?

Yes. I can't take the full recommended serving because I get too jittery, but the half dose works for me. It really gives me great energy and the boost I need when I'm lifting heavy and try to push those last reps before failure.

Very inspiring, thanks! I am considering a personal trainer at some point, gym world, etc. A bit daunting but possible. For now I'm working out at home but would be good to have a pro give me some tips on working certain areas. You look great and I'll bet you feel great, too!

Thank you! To build muscle you need to lift heavy, meaning you need to be able to lift a set where failure is anywhere between 8-10 reps. So if your doing alternating bicep curls, you need to find a weight that is light enough to curl, but heavy enough that you can't curl after 8-12 reps. That's called reaching failure. I've lost a lot of muscle strength through this process, so I'm able to do my first set of 10 reps with the 25 lb dumbbells, second set is about 8 reps until failure, and then the last set I'll go down to the 20's and get in 10-12 reps before failure. But you need to find a weight that works for you, even if it's a 10 lb weight or 60 lb weight!

Another key to building muscle is the rest time in between each set. Rests should only last about 30-60 seconds. If your lifting bench press, squat, or dead lift, you can rest anywhere between 90 and 120 seconds.

Another good tip is planning your workouts. You don't want to lift the same body part everyday. Plan it to where you workout each muscle only once a week. For example:

Day 1: chest and back

Day 2: quads, hams

Day 3: triceps and biceps

Day 4: shoulders and calves

You can change it up where you pair more muscle groups if you have less time during the week, or the opposite if you have more time. The reason you separate the muscle groups you workout and don't repeat them in the same week is so that you give your muscle time to repair. When you lift, you tear your muscle. That's why you feel sore. When that muscle heals, new muscle tissue forms, and thus you've gained muscle mass.

Another important element to that is getting your Protein in within 30 minutes post workout to aid in quicker muscle recovery. I also like to take amino acids before my workouts. I hope this helps. Good luck to you!

Edited by Curvy

I'm 10 months post-op. I started lifting about 3 months post-op, but was very inconsistent. I've really upped the weight lifting and muscle building diet this past month. Forcing myself to get more Protein in and those complex carbs has really aided in me seeing results.

And thank you for the compliment, I feel fantastic!

Edited by Curvy

@@joatsaint, I can see it now! Ha!!! I love it!

Wow....you go Curvy....that's impressive! If you're ever in NC, you'll have to meet up with me and my fellow sleever lifting partner/trainee here. Seriously, you've made great strides and I like what you mentioned about the complex carbs. They're not always a bad thing like a lot people think. People can lift like crazy and be a gym rat, but if they don't introduce some complex carbs with their Protein....especially after a workout.....they're not going to build much muscle.....if any. Keep up the great work! :)

Thank you @@aroundhky! I will have to definitely take you up on that. Your physique is definitely impressive and inspirational. And I agree with you, not all carbs are bad and they are very necessary part of your diet, especially when trying to shape your physique. Keep up the GREAT work you're doing and keep posting those pics! LOL!!!

Can I ask what your starting weight and weight loss has been? You look great !!