Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

post op from April 29th

Question?? I fixed me some ice Water in a cup instead of drinking it out of the bottle habit I put a straw in it. I didn't realized until about half way thru the cup. I was like oh goodness I did that out of habit. I took it out and now just drinking from the cup. I am 8 days post op. Now worried if I have hurt myself or damaged anything??? I feel fine as of right now. Any input would be very much appreciated!!!

You should be fine. Using straws isn't recommended because you will intake air on every sip causing more gas. For some wls folks the opposite seems true.

You should be fine. Using straws isn't recommended because you will intake air on every sip causing more gas. For some wls folks the opposite seems true.

. Thank u! It has been over an hour and I still feel fine. I am doing whatever my surgeon has instructed so when that happen out of habit I freaked. Thanks!

Question?? I fixed me some ice Water in a cup instead of drinking it out of the bottle habit I put a straw in it. I didn't realized until about half way thru the cup. I was like oh goodness I did that out of habit. I took it out and now just drinking from the cup. I am 8 days post op. Now worried if I have hurt myself or damaged anything??? I feel fine as of right now. Any input would be very much appreciated!!!

I think it's more of an issue as you get to the bottom of the liquid...That's when you'll be sucking and swallowing air. I drank about 25 oz of iced tea yesterday from a straw. When my tea got low I stopped using the straw. I had no issues whatsoever. I think if you feel ok now you won't have any problems. :)

By the way, some surgeons don't have a problem with using straws. It depends on your doc. I usually do what my doc tells me, but I also use my common sense.

Hi, I was reading this thread trying to see if anyone had posted about something that I am worried about... No luck :( I had my surgery on 4/29/14 and I am still on a full liquid diet. I was having a hard time getting all my Fluid in and Protein. Now I am doing much better but tonight I had some turkey gravy for dinner and had 1 and 1/4 cup!! I didn't think I was supposed to be able to have that much... I didn't even feel full. I am just worried that I had too much and didn't even feel full. I guess I'm just feeling like the surgery was a failure and I won't lose the weight...

Maybe the gravy was very thin?? Not sure. All Gravies are on my do not eat so I have not tried them. 13 lbs is awesome I am sure everything is fine just keep on thinking positive. If in doubt always call your surgeons office. Good Luck! :)

Hi, I was reading this thread trying to see if anyone had posted about something that I am worried about... No luck :( I had my surgery on 4/29/14 and I am still on a full liquid diet. I was having a hard time getting all my Fluid in and Protein. Now I am doing much better but tonight I had some turkey gravy for dinner and had 1 and 1/4 cup!! I didn't think I was supposed to be able to have that much... I didn't even feel full. I am just worried that I had too much and didn't even feel full. I guess I'm just feeling like the surgery was a failure and I won't lose the weight...

I can drink almost a whole 11 oz Protein Shake at a time. I think because it's a liquid it goes through easier. Wish I could drink my Water like that! Maybe I will try a straw. I assumed they didn't want you to use a straw because of extra air swallowed or maybe because you would drink too much at a time.

I'm sure your surgery wasn't a failure. As long as you're still on liquids your sleeve isn't going to stay full very long. My surgeon says that at this point my sleeve acts more like a funnel than a holding pouch. liquids pretty much pass right through.

When we are on solids it will be a different story. We will have to chew, chew, chew and eat slowly so we don't over-stuff the sleeve.

Right now I measure everything out. My doc says 1/3 cup is my portion size right now, so I measure out 1/3 cup of Soup and heat that up. Usually within minutes of finishing (I always eat it too fast) I feel that tightness in my sleeve that tells me I'm full. I only stay full for 2 or 3 hours, but them I'll eat again. I'm told when I'm on solids I will stay full longer.

Measure out your food... And try not to worry! Soon all our new "rules" will become second nature and we'll be sitting pretty on the loser's bench! :)

congrats on the sleeved side!! i had mine the 25th

Jcollins

You will be fine. Remember to read and refer often to your bariatric manual and follow your physicians specific instructions. We have to study now while we can eat very little so we will have it all down pat when we can eat. We need to eat slowly over 30 min. Then we will feel the compression of the sleeve. Sip sip sip all day to get your fluids and Protein in. They will help you feel good by keeping you hydrated, helping you heal, and prevent you from having a large though temporary Hair loss.

Wow! Reading all your posts makes me feel blessed. I feel bad for all of you going through so many difficulties. My surgery was at 5pm in the evening. My only issue was i didnt want to wake up after they were done and when I would fall asleep my oxygen levels would drop cuz I wasnt taking breaths. I held liquid just fine the next morning and was up walking a couple hours after i got back to my room. I also had a hernia repair and didnt feel a thing. I went home the next day about 2pm. Was barely there 24 hours. I healed quite quickly as I was taking in 80-100g of Liquid Protein and getting in most of my Water. By 3 weeks I was back at the gym doing light exercises. I am not 41/2 months post and down 91lbs. I wish you all tye best and everything you are going through now will be worth it when you really start seeing the results. Good luck to you all

If it helps, liquids feel different than actual eating. Plus if its not high in Protein then your body wont feel full. Was it normal gravy or something specific that ur doctor gave you thats protein packed. For the first 2 weeks all I could have were Protein Drinks and Water. It works trust me!

Wow! Reading all your posts makes me feel blessed. I feel bad for all of you going through so many difficulties. My surgery was at 5pm in the evening. My only issue was i didnt want to wake up after they were done and when I would fall asleep my oxygen levels would drop cuz I wasnt taking breaths. I held liquid just fine the next morning and was up walking a couple hours after i got back to my room. I also had a hernia repair and didnt feel a thing. I went home the next day about 2pm. Was barely there 24 hours. I healed quite quickly as I was taking in 80-100g of liquid Protein and getting in most of my Water. By 3 weeks I was back at the gym doing light exercises. I am not 41/2 months post and down 91lbs. I wish you all tye best and everything you are going through now will be worth it when you really start seeing the results. Good luck to you all

91lb in 4.5 months. ... WOW! Congratulations!!!!!!!!