Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello

This is my first post in here. So glad to see people from Melbourne have the done the surgery and found it successful. I really need support on how and which insurance company to go with. Which surgeon you recommend?

If you are planning on doing the gastric sleeve surgery, please pm, I need some motivation because I am currently afraid of thinking about the surgery.

Hello

This is my first post in here. So glad to see people from Melbourne have the done the surgery and found it successful. I really need support on how and which insurance company to go with. Which surgeon you recommend?
If you are planning on doing the gastric sleeve surgery, please pm, I need some motivation because I am currently afraid of thinking about the surgery.

Hi I am not from Melbourne but nz and I was a self pay so I have no idea about insurance sorry
However I had sleeve surgery march 29th last year I was 115kgs I'm now 70kgs and I've never been healthier or happier sleeve surgery was the best thing I have ever done.

2 hours ago, Shell ???? said:

Hi I am not from Melbourne but nz and I was a self pay so I have no idea about insurance sorry
However I had sleeve surgery march 29th last year I was 115kgs I'm now 70kgs and I've never been healthier or happier sleeve surgery was the best thing I have ever done.

That's really amazing. Thank you for sharing your wonderful progress.

I have decided to do the surgery without going with the insurance company, because I am planning to do it in early/late Dec this year and don't want to do it in March 2018.

I've checked overseas for bariatric surgeons, alot of people recommend one in kuwait and it costs around 15K AUD for everything (including return tickets). Which I am planning to save till I go there. Plus I have close relative over there which they will look after me and stay with them.

My current weight is 115 and I am 162cm. Goal weight around 60-55kgs (hopefully).

In 2012 I started dieting and till 2014 I went from 108 to 70kg and I looked amazing! But unfortunately with the difficult circumstances that I went through I put all the weight back, which kind of frustrating:(

That's really amazing. Thank you for sharing your wonderful progress.
I have decided to do the surgery without going with the insurance company, because I am planning to do it in early/late Dec this year and don't want to do it in March 2018.
I've checked overseas for bariatric surgeons, alot of people recommend one in kuwait and it costs around 15K AUD for everything (including return tickets). Which I am planning to save till I go there. Plus I have close relative over there which they will look after me and stay with them.
My current weight is 115 and I am 162cm. Goal weight around 60-55kgs (hopefully).
In 2012 I started dieting and till 2014 I went from 108 to 70kg and I looked amazing! But unfortunately with the difficult circumstances that I went through I put all the weight back, which kind of frustrating:(

Are you based in Melbourne ?
is there not an Australian surgeon you could go to
I think for ongoing support from them and not having to travel
the surgery in nz was $22,000
I think it's pretty similar cost most places except Mexico that seems to be pretty cheap but again overseas
My advice is get the surgery as soon as possible dont delay your new life is just around the corner and by December you could be at goal it took me 9 months to get to my goal of 70kgs from 115 I'm tall so 70 is good for me
in Australia you can finance the procedure and also draw from your superannuation I believe as I know several people who have.

Are you based in Melbourne ?
is there not an Australian surgeon you could go to
I think for ongoing support from them and not having to travel
the surgery in nz was $22,000
I think it's pretty similar cost most places except Mexico that seems to be pretty cheap but again overseas
My advice is get the surgery as soon as possible dont delay your new life is just around the corner and by December you could be at goal it took me 9 months to get to my goal of 70kgs from 115 I'm tall so 70 is good for me
in Australia you can finance the procedure and also draw from your superannuation I believe as I know several people who have.

My surgery cost around $26000 in Perth.... very expensive but I wouldn't travel to another country to get it done that would be way outta my comfort zone..
I didn't use my super or insurance either

My surgery cost around $26000 in Perth.... very expensive but I wouldn't travel to another country to get it done that would be way outta my comfort zone..
I didn't use my super or insurance either

I wouldn't travel for this particular surgery either
I have for plastics In the past to Thailand but with the gastric surgery I personally wouldn't but lots of people do. I was self pay to its a lot of money but worth every single penny I believe.

Yes I am in Melbourne, I have called several clinics even interstates ones and they said they want me to have health insurance otherwise its going to be much expensive 20k+. In reality I hope I can do it here next to my kids but I decided to have it a go and make it in Kuwait.

The reasons behind choosing Dec over any date is because I am committed to my uni studies and just in case if I want to have a recovery time before beginning the new semester.

Many of my friends recommended that surgeon because he have a good reputation. The surgery and the hospital costs around 13k and 2k for my tickets. Should be manageable, plus kuwait is very advanced and not considered 3rd world country. I've also searched the web regarding that doctor and found alot of patients done theirs since 2009 and they all have positive comments.

I understand a lot of people dont feel comfortable traveling overseas and do the surgery. But I saw a lot of people from america travels to Mexico to undergo the surgery. Everyone prefer something. I thought about Mexico too but the problem is that I don't have anyone there and plus I don't speak the language.

I had my surgery done in Melbourne by Adam Skidmore. He's brilliant. Can't you just pay the health insurance in advance ? Much cheaper that way? Surgery cost just over 5k, hospital $500, anesthetist $1500 all done. I struggled with a 3 hour drive back to my house, don't know how I'd cope in a plane for that long even if it was a week after

1 minute ago, demonchick said:

I had my surgery done in Melbourne by Adam Skidmore. He's brilliant. Can't you just pay the health insurance in advance ? Much cheaper that way? Surgery cost just over 5k, hospital $500, anesthetist $1500 all done. I struggled with a 3 hour drive back to my house, don't know how I'd cope in a plane for that long even if it was a week after

If thats the case I dont have problem paying them in advance for 2 years not just one. I have called numerous times to different insurance companies but they have just refused, they said that I have to serve the required period which is 12 month. I don't have problem paying 15K but I don't have ability more than that number. More than one month passed since my doctor referred me to Alfred hospital (public) bariatric clinic and I haven't heard from them!

If you started paying private health now, 12 months flies pretty quick. To see Adam you need to see him as a private patient not a public one. You can make an appointment for a consultation even if you don't have private health yet.

1 minute ago, demonchick said:

If you started paying private health now, 12 months flies pretty quick. To see Adam you need to see him as a private patient not a public one. You can make an appointment for a consultation even if you don't have private health yet.

I understand time flies, but I dont want to do the operation in the middle of my study period. I am doing double degree and I haven't finished yet. If I wanted to do it, I must wait till I finish my semester exam which is in November and arrange the surgery afterwards ASAP so I can have a enough time to recover.

Looks like your going overseas then! Good luck

3 minutes ago, demonchick said:

Looks like your going overseas then! Good luck

Thank you demonchick :) 8 more months !