Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Late Leaks? Freaking out!

So, I read an article that the potential for leaks never actually goes away! 16 months post-op having a leak???? I figured just like most healing that there is eventually a period where you are out of woods as far as having a leak?? I was so confident in this decision (haven't been sleeved yet but my hubby are supposed to be this June) and now I am panicking!

Hmmmm, it is so rare, why would you focus on this?

My dr told me that 98% of leaks happen the first week. After that, ur pretty clear to relax. The first week, I was terrified of having a leak. In fact, at day 5, my back started hurting really badly. My fingers started contracting and my face contorted. I called my nurse. She told me to take my temp. If it wasn't hi, it wasn't a leak. It was like 99. But I kept getting worse so hubby took me to the ER. On the way there, I was convinced I was having a stroke As soon as I was wheeled into the ER and told the dr I was 5 days post op, he asked me if I was taking Reglan. Is aid yes. It was an allergic reaction, called a Dystonic Reaction. As soon as I got a shot of benadryl in my IV, I was normal again. PTL! I guess Reglan is notorious for causing this reaction. It was scary.

Anyway, I was so convinced I had a leak. Every little pain (and I had a rough recovery), every little rise in my bp, every little everything I thought I had a leak. They're so rare. U have a better chance of getting in a car accident on ur way to the hospital for ur surgery.

Good luck and relax. It'll just make ur recovery harder to worry about every little ache and pain...

Edited by marfar7

im so afraid too. i have read some stories too where people get a leak after months out. i mentioned these stories to my doctor and he seems surprised, said its not common. he says its like the 1st 10 days to 2 weeks that its most common. i was also told that regular people can have a leak too not just WLS patients. im so scared too. can anyone help ease these fears for us?

My biggest fear pre op was not getting the surgery and having to have a hip replacement in a few years because of the toll obesity had taken on my body. I didn't want to be bedridden because I was too fat to move that I couldn't enjoy my grandkids. You know what I did yesterday? Spent the day chasing my 17 month old grandson around the park. My weight loss and energy post op has far outweighed the fear of a leak.

My dr told me a leak can happen any time, even years down the road. But it is highly unlikely.

wow...so we are never safe from a leak? thats so scary!

My dr told me a leak can happen any time, even years down the road. But it is highly unlikely.

My doc told me that two weeks is the usual for checking for leaks... he said four weeks is usually total heal for no leaks. In his 17 years of surgery, he said he only has seen two leaks after two weeks times, and, both were in smokers.

I was afraid of a leak since the first night, I was vomitting from the anesthia. So, if that did not cause a leak, which it did not, must be pretty hard to get a leak.... I wreched all night long

did they give you anything at the hospital to stop that heaving? you poor thing.

My doc told me that two weeks is the usual for checking for leaks... he said four weeks is usually total heal for no leaks. In his 17 years of surgery, he said he only has seen two leaks after two weeks times, and, both were in smokers.

I was afraid of a leak since the first night, I was vomitting from the anesthia. So, if that did not cause a leak, which it did not, must be pretty hard to get a leak.... I wreched all night long

I had made peace with the idea that there are a lot of "rare" complications in the beginning. I figured that was typical of all surgeries and that at some point I would be "home free" so to speak. Never did I expect to find out that leaks can happen years later. It just shakes things up a bit. Yes it is rare but it doesn't mean it is any less concerning. One reason I passed on lap-bad was the the lifetime of issues...I thought the sleeve would be different. If you made it through the first 6months + unscathed you were pretty much free to live your new life...not constantly worry about potential deadly complications for the rest of it.

have you talked to the surgeon about this? what do they say about leaks?

I had made peace with the idea that there are a lot of "rare" complications in the beginning. I figured that was typical of all surgeries and that at some point I would be "home free" so to speak. Never did I expect to find out that leaks can happen years later. It just shakes things up a bit. Yes it is rare but it doesn't mean it is any less concerning. One reason I passed on lap-bad was the the lifetime of issues...I thought the sleeve would be different. If you made it through the first 6months + unscathed you were pretty much free to live your new life...not constantly worry about potential deadly complications for the rest of it.

however, illness and death caused by obesity is not rare. its pretty common in fact. its all about what risks you are willing to incur.