Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im having surgery on may 5th. Im driving myself crazy trying to decide on lap band or sleeve. i feel like the lap band would be safe but i may not get the results I want. Im afraid the sleeve because I don't know if I would be able to get Water down and my meds. has anyone else had a hard time deciding what to do?

I've had both and am currently sleeved. Neither gave me any difficulty with my meds or drinking liquids. This forum is full of information to help you educate yourself on the qualities of both procedures. What does you doctor recommend for you?

It's a big decision and you'll feel better about it when you have the facts and data for both.

Best of luck

I have talked to my dr. I think the sleeve would be the best for me, but there were a few woman in my support group who had a hard time getting anything including Water down for months after.

They don't regret getting their sleeve. I just don't want to have complications.

I had band surgery in March 2008 and I had to eat very light for a good year after (and more importantly ------COULD eat light!!). That's exactly how I lost so much weight! The stomach is doing a lot of healing the first couple of months --- and even the first year -- after surgery with both band and sleeve, The lighter the diet -- the better it can heal and not be stretched out. Letting it heal right in those months after surgery will make a major difference in success for years to come. It can be a little hard to eat so light after we have been used to plowing up food for years. But --- trust me--- it's GOOD if you can't get much food down the first few months after surgery. You'll LOVE your new jean size. Over the years on this board --- I have found that those people who were able to accept a new relationship with food -- were the ones who lost most weight and found new lives. It's quite a change and not everyone can do it. Those critical weeks/months after surgery feel very odd. Anyone who finds that they just can't eat much (regardless of which type of surgery they had) will also get to fully apprecaite how little food a person needs and how much they were eating before. Best wishes.

Edited by Desdemona

Hi Bonbini,

Welcome to Bariatric Pal. You and your doctor will decide the best option for you. Sometimes you are not a good candidate for a particular surgery.

I, like Laughing Cat, am a revision patient. I had a lap-band and now have the sleeve. With any weight loss it is a tool and you still have to work with it in order to have long-term success.

I have had no problems with keeping things down with the sleeve at all since my surgery. I was able to start swallowing pills a week after sleeve surgery. When I had my band, my surgeon did not allow me to start swallowing pills until 6 weeks post-op.

One thing you will find on this site, is that different doctors have different pre-op and post-op diets and lengths of time before you are allowed to do things. One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to follow the instructions your doctor and nutritionist give you especially while you are still healing and recovering from surgery.

Hi,

I have had both. I had a lapband 5 years ago but it slipped 18 months ago and embedded itself in my stomach.

The lapband caused me soooo many problems plus all the constant fills and unfills I don't think there is much comparison. I would opt for the sleeve every time!

Obviously this is due to my personal experience and I know others love the band.

Good luck with whatever option you choose.

Jess

Xxxxx

Welcome to Bariatric Pal. You and your doctor will decide the best option for you. Sometimes you are not a good candidate for a particular surgery.

This is very true. I good bariatric team will analyze you, the patient, as a whole (how you eat--snacker, volume eater, compulsions?--your overall history with obesity, your support system, your physical health and ongoing medications) before they recommend one WLS over another. The eating style of a sleever is different than the eating style of a bandster...etc etc for bypass and others. I, for one, would not be a good bypass patient because I like to have a little sugar from time to time and the Dumping Syndrome would be a horrible consequence for me. With the band, I CAN have my sweets without this side effect. The band was also appropriate for me since I was a volume eater, not a snacker.

Edited by parisshel

Lots of data all over the internet on pros/cons. But personal information from people who had it done is what you want to look for. Visit the forums here and other places to get valuable input from Both sides.

I was banded a couple years ago and lost over 100 pounds so far.

Best wishes and Keep the faith.