Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does the 'bad feeling' of water ever go away?

I'm 3 weeks post op and like many, I can't tolerate Water. I love water and it saddens me that I can't drink it anymore. I don't like putting the infusers in water. I want a nice cold glass of water. Does it ever get better?

have you tried it without the ice? sometimes, when you are new, the ice upsets your system... I was a big Water drinker (along with mega doses of diet coke), but it doesn't hold the same for me after... now I drink Decaf tea, crystal light, etc... but a plain glass of Water doesn't interest me anymore... tastes change...

but, try without ice and see if you tolerate it better...at least for now ;)

I FINALLY get to be the veteran (by comparison) and offer some insight. My biggest complaint bar none was Water nausea and issues with trying to drink Water. It could take me hourse to drink 8oz of plain water, but for some reason I could tolerate tea or G2, or crystal light better (I have never drank any of that before... well except hot tea). I don't like sweetened drinks and really didn't want to drink artificially flavored anythings for the indefinite future.

I also posted probably around week 3 out of depression because I couldn't tolerate plain water.

I am now about 10 weeks out and have just this week realized to my delight, water isn't bothering me any more! I can even take like 3 careful gulps and get that satisfied "chug" feeling ... carefully :)

But I think this bridge has made me feel so "normal" like my old pre surgery self. My Dr. told me it would go away around 12 weeks typically, but it is different for everyone. I am soooooooooooooooo glad and loving my water again.

Do what you have to do to get your fluids in, but realize, it's a temporary thing and once your stomach really heals, you should find that water doesn't feel any different than anything else. Hang in there, the time will fly by and you'll be where I am before you know it!

I add lemon to my Water and it seems to help it in my stomach better

oh, and I agree, cold made everything harder for me to drink. I still don't enjoy cold Water, doesn't make me sick, but I can drink more, more comfortably in a short period of time if is is room temp.

yes, it generally gets better over time. I can drink Water fairly normally now. I still drink a lot of herbal tea, but a cold water bottle is something good now, and it wasn't for a long time after surgery.