Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have GERD Post Op Bypass?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have GERD Post Op Bypass?

• Yes I did Pre-Op and I still do the SAME amount Post Op
    • Yes I did Pre-Op and I have been CURED of GERD Post Op
    • Yes I did Pre-Op and I do now but RARELY Pos Op
    • Yes I did Pre-Op and I still do and WORSE Post Op
    • No I never had GERD Pre Op and now I still DON'T have it Post Op
    • No I never had GERD Pre Op and now I RARELY have it Post Op
    • No I never had GERD Pre Op and now I OFTEN have it Post Op

I was always in love with the thought of getting the gastric sleeve. On the pre-ops I have found out I have GERD. I felt the acid in the throat before but never thought I have reflux... So my doctor said he would not want to do the sleeve since it will make my GERD even worst. I had to trust his knowledge and expertise so I went with the bypass and I could not be happier. No more acid!

When is your revision LittleMissDiva? Good luck hun!

@@green*eyed*girl yes please trust he knows! Ha! :)

I don't have an exact date yet, I am on a little weight loss regimen pre op and need to lose 10 Lbs before surgery. I am down 7 already and have 3 more to go. My follow up is on May 8th so wish me luck on those last 3 Lbs in one week's time! If I come short I'm hoping he will be a little kind to me for I did really try hard. I haven't eaten any sugar in 18 days now.

Wishing you well on your surgery!

@@LilMissDiva Irene , you are doing great with the weight loss, only 3 pounds to go, you got this, but I am sure your doctor will be kind when he sees you have tried your best - in case you wont lose the last pound! :) I hope he will be able to give you a date so you will have something to look forward to. I can only imagine your discomfort now with the GERD. Even with my big tummy my GERD was bothering me, I was not going to risk having it even worst.

Things will work out soon for you just be strong now and keep your eyes on the prize! I know it must be very hard to go under the knife again especially because you have been very successful with the sleeve...unfortunately it looks like that surgery was not the best choice for you.

Before you got the sleeve, did your doctor informed you about the risk of GERD, and did you have GERD before surgery? My surgeon was pushing super hard for the bypass and I just kept talking about the sleeve, and he was really pissed off with me :D He said he does not want to give me a surgery that will make my life a living hell. He actively advocated the bypass for me...I am glad I accepted his opinion and trusted him.

@@green*eyed*girl no unfortunately back when I had my sleeve it was not as well know as it is now that people with pre Op GERD could become worse. It's okay I'm a fighter and I will just roll with the punches.

Good news I woke up to another pound lost today so only 2 more to go and 6 more days!!

We need to keep in touch!

I had a sleeve in December of 2012 and since have had esophageal spasms that are crippling and cause the worst reflux imaginable. I can eat only pudding and ice cream and other very soft foods because the spasms and reflux are so so painful. After dilating my esophagus multiple times, 5 hospital stays for malnutrition and dehydration, and Nexium 40mg twice daily we are finally resorting to a bypass. It'll be either late next week or early the week after, I'm scheduling on Monday and am just hoping and praying for relief. I'm so tired and eating is so painful. We are hoping that by eliminating the reflux, the spasms will stop as well. One can only pray, this last year has been hell. I'm going to keep up with my original post of my sleeve journey when I get the bypass.

Hi Becky I am so glad that you found this thread! We will definitely keep in touch. I'm wishing you the very best on your surgery in a couple weeks and please check in to let us know how you're doing. I pray that having the revision to bypass will get you on the road to recovery and having use of your tool like you're supposed to.

<p><span style="font-size:18px;">I am looking for some data regarding GERD and the Rny Gastric Bypass for Post Op's. You can be a virgin stomach or a revision patient, if you are a revision, please reply in the comments as well. I am revising from Sleeve to Bypass because my Surgeon feels it will be best bet to cure my GERD. I have it extremely bad and even if it helped to make it better it would be a relief for me.</span></p> <p> </p> <p><span style="font-size:18px;">Thanks in advance!</span></p>

Irene... I had my RNY on Nov 18th mostly based on GERD so severe that the acidic juices were aspirating in to my lungs and causing them damage! Nothing helped this for over 12 years. The decision was made to bypass the portion of my stomach that produces the acidic secretions. The physicians referred to it as silent GERD since meds kept me mildly heartburn free but I had a terrible cough from it.

I now have lost the 70 pounds that I needed too but of even more importance is that the GERD resolved! My surgeon here in Toledo, Ohio area proved to me that the RNY was the only gastric procedure that WILL do this. Hope this helps and that you find relief also. Best regards, Dyan

@@Birthsjourney Thank you for responding!! I am experienced your symptoms of GERD almost exactly. I have a horrible cough too from gastric acid aspirating into my lungs. It is really horrible :(

All of you are giving me hope thank you!!

I've had that same thing with "silent" GERD. I seldom feel heartburn unless I eat late at night, but I too have that cough and sore throat. I even ended up in the ER one time feeling like I was having an asthma attack or something (don't have asthma) because I couldn't catch my breath and kept coughing. I had aspirated acid into my lungs.

Looking forward to the surgery helping with my reflux.

Anyone how had surgery revision for GERD , please update !!

I am now 11 weeks post op and have recorded my official vote!

Yes I did Pre-Op and I have been CURED of GERD Post Op (7 votes [46.67%])

That's wonderful! I'm 2 days post op! Feeling bloated but great otherwise! Really happy!

I am 11 weeks out RNY and not a sign of GERD. Before surgery, I dealt with it daily.

It's amazing the relief .... I'm so grateful for the surgery . I'm 20 months out and I'm so glad I did it

I agree that the bypass completely gets rid of GERD and if you understand the anatomy you would know that in theory there would be no way to have acid after the RNY so everyone who has the surgery should have zero reflux. I had the surgery to also get rid of my esophageal spasms and it didn't work for that but I have had no trouble at all with reflux since I had surgery 8/1.