Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Giving Up your favorite foods

We still live in the real world with real food. We have to learn to balance food with moderation. I have things I can no longer tolerate. Like beef, pork, bananas, ice cream..on and on..Does not bother me..I have some new favorites!

But I still eat pizza, I will have a cookie ( not a box of Cookies ) and I will not feel guilty..If we could have gotten a handle on our addictions before surgery we would have done it without it.

Turning this program into another diet ( failed )They all failed before! Now learning to live and coincide with food, now that's the ticket. Eat to live not live to eat.

Enjoy the journey and the changes you will make and the learning you will do about yourself and why you chose food as a comfort....Use your tool to fix your thinking and how you respond to food and why.Then the rest will follow! :)

There are a lot of things I miss.... That said, I do occasionally give in and have a bite of whatever (cupcake, chocolate, etc). What I have found ( and I may be in the minority here) is that having the bite or two eliminates my obsessing about a particular food. Additionally, a lot of times I take a bite and I expect it to be so fabulous and I frequently find myself thinking "eh, this wasn't as good as I remember, or I could live with out having another bite" honestly, a lot of things just don't taste the same.

I would recommend kissing fried foods and fast food goodbye. There are healthy ways to eat all of the foods you mentioned, and one way that has been mentioned is moderation. Another way is to compromise and find new favorites.I have satisfied my pizza cravings by 1 or 2 tiny pieces of pizza made with vegan cheese. My chocolate cravings are satisifed by Quest chocolate chip cookie dough Protein bars, instead of cheestos I eat Pirates Booty or a vegan version. (Although I try to eat low carb, so I avoid it at all costs.) It is really easy to slip into a pattern of "sliding" back into old habits, even by eating these new alternatives, so try to be conscious about your choices and you'll be fine. We all need to learn we are eating to live, not living to eat!

How do you set your mind on being healthy for the rest of your life? Do you want to dig your grave with a knife and fork? I was glad to trade it to enjoy life and the longer life I would have being thinner, healthier.

I'm not as worried about favorite foods as having them in moderation is fine and my tastebuds have changed, as has my relationship to food.

I think many of us worried that we would be saying goodbye to particular foods, but really it's the relationship with food that is the big change. You will see, and I know it's hard to believe that you, too, will be satisfied on so much less. I worried I'd be the person who it didn't work for, etc. But now nearly six months out it is all working fine. I have been such a restricter in my life that it's important for me to know I can have anything, just a very small amount at appropriate intervals. I am not on a diet.

@TatorTot I agree with a lot of this ,,, @Bandista totally... I haven't missed most of those "bad: foods...the only time I have a "real" carb is when we go out to eat... I have one warm small, yummy roll.... it's my treat...and I'm happy with that... we all have to find ways to make it work for us...but you will find that after the surgery, it will be much easier to make healthy choices...

Good luck and let us know of your progress!

Edited by BigGirlPanties

When I really think about it, it would be pretty depressing not to binge or eat huge amounts of food. I guess I am so used to it that I am afraid I will still want to do it and won't be able to. It is like grieving over eating large amounts. Crazy that is what got me here in the first place you would think I would want to quit doing it.

This was my thing, too. I worried about not being able to eat some foods, but I later learned what I mourned was not being able to abuse food the way I used to. That is just sick thinking, but it was my reality. I was satisfied quantity wise and the flavor was great ... but I still wanted more. Watching other people having more made me sad. But, I looked deep into what I was looking to fill and these discoveries have been a side benefit I did not expect.

I used to have the Lap Band, and was unable to eat bread. It's been years since I've enjoyed bread. I haven't tried bread post-Sleeve. I think I'm gonna try soon.

I also want to encourage everyone to not worry about what they will or will not be able to eat a year from now. Just take it one day at a time. Today, you cannot control what you put in your mouth a year from now, so don't worry about it. Just do the right thing today. Prepare for tomorrow today. When tomorrow arrives, follow your plan. Keep doing this one day at a time and you will be successful.

Edited by PdxMan

I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies, I feel far better now reading your posts.

I really love this forum you guys are great!

I have totally lost my taste for beef which I have no problem with. My taste buds have changed for the good :) I get my Protein through low fat cottage cheese, Beans, shakes, etc.

Thank you!! For the honest replies. I'm three days post-op and it's overwhelming! I'm excited to try cream of wheat, so I feel pathetic that something so simple is exciting me! I too feel like I'm mourning food... But after reading several of the responses, I am reassure that what I'm doing is a tool to help me get healthier. I'm excited for the future, but am scared too! Soo glad I'm not alone and found this app with lots of expertise.

I live by the words of my dad who didn't even realize how profound he was when he said, 'why overeat? It's just more of the same'. Words to live by my friend. Good luck!

OMGosh! How profound. This is my new motto!!!