Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Giving Up your favorite foods

I haven;t given up anything. I just need a lot less than I used to and I make a point of eating "bad" foods only when I really want them. so I don't have them lying around the house where I can just reach out and take them and I don't order out. I figure if I want something enough to get out and buy it then it won't hurt if I have a couple of bites. My weak spot has always been sweets so I just make my own light sugar free versions. I substitute fresh fruits and stevia for sugar and mashed bannanas for butter and they still taste great.

Don't worry you'll find a way around your weaknesses. None of us were good at sticking to diets in the past or we wouldn't have needed to get sleeved.

I have to say since I've had surgery my family has been super thrilled with the meals I'm making. I've gotten very creative making yummy healthy meals that are delicious and satisfying. Instead of the same old recycled comfort foods I've been trying tons on recipes I find online mostly pinterest. Since surgery I've found new favorite foods that I absolutely enjoy and would have enjoyed pre op too. Once I reach goal I may allow some other foods back in my diet, but right now I'm focused on weight loss so it's just temporary. When someone says can you eat that? My standard answer is I can eat anything I want, I just choose to not have it right now. Ultimately I have the control.

Menjaz, I know the fear. Right now, 6 weeks out, eating large is a major impossibility, but I fear that aspect in the long-term. I've been a boredom eater, and any size chip bag could be a single serve for me. Not to mention, at a gathering of friends or family, the food is great and plentiful. I will have to remember to control my servings in advance and consciously eat and focus on enjoying my company.

I'm only four months out, but I understand where you're coming from. You know that it's not that you can't have a lot of your favorite things, you'll just have to have them in moderation, HOWEVER even though we know that, it's still scary and it sucks.

What has helped me is that I have been cooking more at home and experimenting with different recipes that are exciting to my taste buds, but lower in calories than my staples (McDonalds, Chipotle, Red Lobster, Applebee's, chinese carryout, Papa John's, etc).

My homecooked chicken terriyaki over quinoa is amazing and gives me the sensation and taste of Chinese food without the "I'm hungry 30 minutes later) sensation or headache from the MSG/salt overload. pizza doesn't appeal to me as much because bread swells inside me, so I have to either eat it very slowly and only a little, so it isn't worth it.

Also not eating as much junk food makes me feel and look better. Two years ago (when my weight was at it's highest of b/t 245 - 250lbs) I suddenly developed severe, adult acne. I would have 8 - 10 pimples erupting each week on my face and they'd be really sore to the touch and when they finally burst they'd leave dark scars. Then I started having irregular periods (sometimes I'd go 2 - 3 months without one. I'd have all the PMS symptoms, but not bleed.)

I also was always sick. I've taught 1st grade for almost seven years, and every month I'd have at least 1 - 2 colds. Once I had a cold that lasted two months. (I think it was really just as soon as I got over one cold, another took it's place). My hair also never grew much longer than to my chin.

Now, my face is completely clear and I get maybe 1 pimple close to my period. My periods are monthly and I've only caught 1 cold in the last 4 months. (last week I felt my throat starting to get a little sore, so I went to bed early 2 nights in a row and was completely fine. I never developed a stuffy nose, cough, sneezing, fever, etc)

Feeling stronger and looking better are stronger urges in me than to gobble the Utz White Cheddar popcorn, grande lattes, an entire tray of lemon bars, half a pizza, an entire burritio bowl at chipotle, two double cheeseburgers w/bacon and mac sauce, a full sized Crab Alfredo from Reb Lobster and 5 - 8 cheddar biscuits, etc.

It wasn't until I was on this side (post opt) that I am able to understand it. My husband (who hasn't had WLS) is still trying to wrap his head around it.

It's a common misconception that there is a long list of things you'll never be able to eat again following bariatric surgery. That simply is not true. With a short list of exceptions, I eat anything I want to eat. Once you graduate to a regular diet, it's not about what you "can't" eat, it's about what you "choose" to eat. Or not eat. That's where the all important lifestyle changes come into play. It's all about control, not denial. The miracle of weight loss surgery is that it puts you in control.

You're gonna love the new you!!

OMG!!! Thank you so much everyone, I am amazed at this site and how many responses I received. This is a Godsend for me.

I can't thank you enough!

My biggest fear is that I am going to stretch out my stomach. I don't want to go back to my old way of eating. I don't miss any specific food. I miss eating big meals.

yup, that what miss... not so much pad thai, but eating a huge amount of rice noodles. or the yummy subs at the end of the block... i miss stuffing myself on them. its not a "my hearts gonna break" kinda missing... its a "damn that would be nice, but oh well" kinda thing. not very intense. like someone said, no food ever tasted as good as how i feel having lost 80 pounds. so i miss the huge amounts of food, but not all that much. and i should say, now that i eat mindfully, i really ENJOY what i am eating. i savor every bite slowly and thoughtfully. being able to linger slowly over a tiny slice of cheesecake is way way better than shoveling it in a gulping it down half chewed. today on the way home from yoga and shopping i ate a handful of almonds and a small square of super dark chocolate. i tasted every salty, crunchy nut and let the chocolate slowly melt in my mouth. it was yummy and i really enjoyed it more than wolfing down a super sweet candy bar.

Edited by moonlitestarbrite

When I really think about it, it would be pretty depressing not to binge or eat huge amounts of food. I guess I am so used to it that I am afraid I will still want to do it and won't be able to. It is like grieving over eating large amounts. Crazy that is what got me here in the first place you would think I would want to quit doing it.

One of the things my nutritionist said at the very first consultation was that I would only eat a cup of food at every meal for the rest of my life. I thought she was CRAZY! I though that there was no way possible that would happen. I thought of my fajita burrito at my fave mexican restaurant that is easily 8x the amount of deliciousness. Or my homemade spaghetti dinners with garlic bread. Or even just a normal Lean Cuisine. Could I stuff that in a cup? No it's probably two. My shock was not what I wouldn't be able to eat, but the fact I was supposed to be happy with so little of it!

But, now it seems so funny that it was my main concern. I am really happy with my small portions. I cut everything into tiny bites and chew, so I actually am timed right with the others at the table who are inhaling their food. I have to laugh at restaurant portion sizes that look so insane to me. I have tried pizza. It went down fine, but didn't make me energized. I physically don't like it anymore. It's just not important so I don't crave it.

It's funny how the WLS changes your perspective.

When I really think about it, it would be pretty depressing not to binge or eat huge amounts of food. I guess I am so used to it that I am afraid I will still want to do it and won't be able to. It is like grieving over eating large amounts. Crazy that is what got me here in the first place you would think I would want to quit doing it.

thus is the depth of our dependance on food to cope with everyday life. and so that is why you must start thinking of ways to soothe yourself without food before surgery. have you given this any thought? its good to journal about, talk with a trusted friend, google for ideas. you cant be too prepared.

bread and Beans is what I thought was goin to be hard but after eating 2-3 bites of Popeyes red beans/rice and getting horrific gas and stomach ache easy to say Goodbye!!!

Tater tot, if this is any help, I have a little bit of chocolate every day, pizza maybe once a month , if that ( 1 small slice ), on very rare occasions a bite or 2 of chips, steak once a week. You will find that most people have trouble with certain TEXTURES, not the food itself, so you just find a substitute or brand with a different texture. As for the things I cant get down in any form ,, like raw broccoli, I just substitute celery and move on . You will too. The 5 % negative of being banded is NOTHING compared to the 95% positive of being banded. I'll take skinny jeans over pizza any day of the week ! How bout you ?

For me, another big factor is how much my tastes have changed post op. Stuff I was worried I couldn't have (Like Starbucks Frappiccinos) I've tried and they taste gross now. I DON'T want them. EXCEPT for Puffy Cheetos. Those go down WAY too easily and they are delicious. So I know I kind of need to avoid Cheetos and eat them rarely and portion out what I eat. I can't eat a lot of rice or bread. But 2 bites becomes satisfying. You chew and savour. You should be able to describe the taste, texture, etc in detail after a meal. Chew and eat slowly or you suffer later with discomfort. It's a pretty reliable system, in my opinion.

I think for me being on liquids for four weeks reset my brain. Just not eating anything was beyond difficult, but now I appreciate every little thing I can eat. I'm only a month out so maybe that will change.

But today I went to a party. Normally I would have tried all the dip, had a hamburger, maybe two, then had more dip, then had dessert. Today all I had was a few ounces of fruit. And it was really good. I didn't feel deprived. I just was so happy that I had control over food instead of it having control over me.

When you can only eat a little at a time you just make damn sure what you do eat is really healthy and tastes good.

Hopefully I can keep that up. I thought I would miss having big meals but I just don't. I feel like I have a super power now.

How do I set my mind that I am never going to be able to eat pizza, and chocolate, cheetos and all my favorite foods ever again? Did anyone go into mourning not being able to have it? I am aware I can have a taste of it but does that satisfy your cravings? and if you get sick you can never even try it again.

Plus how disciplined are u in your diets? Sounds like everyone is just really really careful, and are u afraid of messing up?

Pretty scarry stuff!!!

I haven't given up anything. For the 1st 8 weeks, yes. I was on full liquids for 4 weeks and soft foods for 4 weeks. I eat everything, just a few bites of it. And yes, a few bites DOES help my craving. It's weird. If I eat 4 Cheetos, I'm good. A small bag of CHeetos in my house goes stale before I eat them all.

Good luck to u!