Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Giving Up your favorite foods

How do I set my mind that I am never going to be able to eat pizza, and chocolate, cheetos and all my favorite foods ever again? Did anyone go into mourning not being able to have it? I am aware I can have a taste of it but does that satisfy your cravings? and if you get sick you can never even try it again.

Plus how disciplined are u in your diets? Sounds like everyone is just really really careful, and are u afraid of messing up?

Pretty scarry stuff!!!

Personally, I made the decision that I was only temporarily saying goodbye to my favorites. My goal is moderation and a normal healthy life. I love cooking and baking and wine- and I plan on enjoying those in moderation in the future.

You sound like every other newbie. The fear of the unknown is overwhelming. Can I ease your mind some? I eat a little of my favorite foods. I admit that I am disciplined but success helps you get that way.

I'll tell you right now that there isn't a food in the world that tastes as good as being normal sized feels.

If you go ahead with any of the WLS out there, you will look at this post a year from now, or two years...whatever..and wonder why you were so worried.

I live by the words of my dad who didn't even realize how profound he was when he said, 'why overeat? It's just more of the same'. Words to live by my friend. Good luck! Oh, and here's a visual for you...not this this has anything to do with looks...this change was solely to get my mobility back but I know it helps for people to see me before and after. Keep us posted.

post-142630-0-74308300-1398452443_thumb.jpg

The pre-op ideas surrounding food desires and WLS will take some time and experience to settle into realities. You may or may not actually give up certain foods depending on both your choices and if you tastes change post-op. And even if your taste does change, it may not last. With the sleeve, I have found there is nothing I cannot have. That being said, I have chosen not to have alot of foods as I simply do not miss them as much as I thought I would. :)

With the sleeve, I have found there is nothing I cannot have. That being said, I have chosen not to have alot of foods as I simply do not miss them as much as I thought I would. :)

I have a feeling (or is it a "hope"?) that this is the way I'll feel after my surgery.

I probably won't like some foods. I'm just back to trying solids, so I don't know yet. I didn't start this with the intention of not eating any certain things in the future. I intend to use my new tool, nicknamed "teeny tiny" tummy to help me control my previous overheating habits. I did have a couple of food funerals for big portion, heavy meals. Steak and taters will be different. Likewise chicken-fried Entrees may not fit into my future.

Steak and taters will be different.

Omaha tenderloin tips in a mushroom gravy sauce in one of my favorite "high protein" meals nowadays.

And surprisingly 3 ounces is very satisfying. :P

I had the same worries pre-op and now at 4.5 months out I somehow don't crave the foods I was addicted to beforehand. Everyone is different but that's been my experience.

Once you are there it is not as bad as it seems. With luck you will be like many of us with little to no hunger and very little cravings.

I am 4 months out and so far my the foods I have eaten that are not part of my usual diet have been.

pizza... sort of, I scraped the cheese and sauce off of half a slice. about 2ozs. Was very satisfying.

Bread... went to Red Lobster and along with my broiled shrimp skewer, I had a small bite of their cheese biscuit.

Hamburger... Ordered it with no bun, cut off a 3-4 oz piece and the wife ate the rest.

Beer... One a week or so the wife and I go to a craft beer pub and have a beer. Just one and it takes me well over an hour to drink it. I only take very small sips due to the carbonation. And I regularly swirl the glass to get rid of the carbonation. It usually brings my calorie intake up to 1200 for that day.

So I still have a tiny bit of my favorite foods in very small amounts and I have been progressing very well.

Steak and taters will be different.

Omaha tenderloin tips in a mushroom gravy sauce in one of my favorite "high protein" meals nowadays.

And surprisingly 3 ounces is very satisfying. :P

Ooo that sounds good! I miss steak and chops and found the only way I can tolerate those types of Protein is by crockpot :-) but I still make my hunny a killer ribeye!

I said "adios" to most of those foods and haven't looked back...but you can never say never! :blink: we all know that...

But like Bob2013 says, he found a way to make it work for him...and we all find ways that work...

I find I don't crave most of that junk anymore...or maybe my mind is set in the right place <_< not sure...but it's a good thing... my favorite snack is raw almonds!!! :huh: If someone told me that over a year ago, I'd have said they were NUTS :lol: LOL (pun intended)....

it'll be ok...you'll see :)

I also feared that all I was going to give up and poor me. but now that I am in my zone I know I can eat anything, this is where the band really does its work. you can't possibly eat a lot of your fav's. not enough to show up on the scale. when you can only eat a half of a junior burger and a couple of fries you aren't going off your diet. and in the most part food isn't what you crave anymore. it is something you need to eat so your stomach doesn't growl. it is the amount for me per serving, not what I eat. now I am careful of high calorie sliders. I only buy sugar free or low calorie sliders as Snacks and just stay away from anything my band says yes to.

The way you will not care about giving up your favorite foods is those foods have kept you in jail for most of your life. They did nothing to help you. If you truly care about yourself then let bygones be bygones and think about how much better your life will be without your favorite foods for a while. No one said you had to never eat them again but why would you want too.

I gave up a lot of my favorite foods, but I'm not a strict dieter. I didn't get my LapBand so I could be on a diet the rest of my life. I got it to help me build a new, healthy lifestyle. I eat mostly Protein, I eat the correct portion sizes, I avoid starchy carbs, I stay active, and I drink plenty of Water. Do I still eat pizza, french fries, chocolate, and other stuff like that? Yep. But I eat it in moderation and I don't make it a habit like I did before being banded.

Honestly, I don't even miss that stuff too much anymore. If you get into the healthy choices mindset right away, it becomes habit, and pretty soon it's just second nature to reach for a salad instead of the junk food. I also kicked my carb addiction during the pre-op diet and didn't allow myself to pick it back up after surgery. That helps a ton! It takes a lot of practice and hard work, but it's worth it :)

My biggest fear is that I am going to stretch out my stomach. I don't want to go back to my old way of eating. I don't miss any specific food. I miss eating big meals.