Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do we burn carbs?

Does anyone know if while we're burning calories at the gym are we also burning carbs?

As I understand it, everything we eat that has any calories at all is either used immediately by the body for energy or is stored as glycogen for later use. And if there's enough glycogen already stored, the body stores the excess as fat.

The body burns simple carbohydrates first because they are the most easily converted for immediate use. If there aren't any of those available then the body burns stored glycogen, and once that is depleted the body burns stored fat.

So the short answer is Yes, when you're working out you are burning carbs if you have eaten any. Personally I'm keeping my carb intake as low as humanly possible so that I will burn FAT for my day-to-day energy needs.

All: If I've stated anything incorrectly please tell me. Gently.

Edited by JeanZ_RN

I agree with JeanZ_RN. While I am fervently working toward my goal weight, carbs are not my friend. I try to keep them very low in the ketosis range, 20-30 grams per day. That's not much, but potatoes, noodles, rice, pastries, and bread is what got me into this mess in the first place. Since my doctor just raised my Protein requirement from 70 to 80 grams per day, there is even less room for carbs. I am not going hungry without carbs, and I still manage to have my 1/2 of a banana nearly every day.

Fat Bastard said it best. "Carbs are the enemy". If you have fat you want gone then don't give your body carbs to use for energy, make it use the fat.

OK I never said that I'm eating carbs I simply asked how does one burn carbs. The only carbs I'm assuming is my coffee creamer daily!

OK I never said that I'm eating carbs I simply asked how does one burn carbs. The only carbs I'm assuming is my coffee creamer daily!

This concerns me. Maybe you mean simple carbs/sugars? Please say you're eating veggies and whole grains as we all need a well rounded diet though most of us concentrate on getting in a doctor-recommended amount of Protein.

This concerns me. Maybe you mean simple carbs/sugars? Please say you're eating veggies and whole grains as we all need a well rounded diet though most of us concentrate on getting in a doctor-recommended amount of Protein.< /p>

No I don't include whole grains, vegetables, and dairy in my diet with the exception of cheese because of the carbs. I eat pure protein and good amounts of it. A friend recently gave me info on the Atkins diet carb free to get me past my stall.

Edited by starr1202

Carbohydrate Basics

There’s a shroud of mystery attached to carbohydrates and how food is converted to energy. And lately, some diets have even given carbohydrates a bad name. Here are just a few facts about carbohydrates that may clear things up.

Complex carbohydrates are best: Carbohydrates are an important part of a healthy diet and provide the body with the fuel it needs for physical activity and for proper organ function. There are two types of carbohydrates—complex and simple. Complex carbohydrates come naturally from fruits, vegetables, legumes (Beans, lentils, peas) and whole grains. Simple carbohydrates come from sugars, which are typically processed and contain no significant nutrients.

Carbohydrates are the best form of energy: The energy from food comes in three forms: carbohydrates, Protein, and fat. Some of these fuels are stored in your body so that muscles and organs can use them as an immediate source of energy. Out of these three fuels, carbohydrates are the most important, yet least abundant nutrient for daily energy needs. Carbohydrates are the primary energy source for most activity and are burned more efficiently than Protein or fat. For example, research has shown that the energy from carbohydrates can be released up to three times as fast as the energy from fat.

There are other important functions and facts you should know about carbohydrates:

• Carbohydrates are the most effective fuel for a healthy brain and nervous system.
  • Low carbohydrate stores may diminish your concentration.
  • Adequate amounts of carbohydrates help spare protein reserves needed for muscle growth, maintenance and repair.
  • Carbohydrates help the body burn fat more efficiently than protein.
  • Many foods high in complex carbohydrates (such as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables) are also high in dietary Fiber for better digestion, and prevention of certain types of cancer.

Carbohydrate Stores are limited: The primary function of carbohydrates is to provide energy, but the body can only store a limited amount of carbohydrate (about half a day’s supply of energy). For this reason, it is best not to limit or eliminate all carbohydrates as some popular diets lead us to believe. Eating some complex carbohydrates throughout the day will provide you with an adequate amount of energy for day to day needs...

You can find the entire article at: https://www.medmutual.com/For-Individuals-and-Families/Healthy-Living/Nutrition-And-Dieting/Add-Healthy-Carbohydrates-to-Your-Diet.aspx

Edited by Curvy