Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

18 and getting sleeved within the next 5 months

I've decided to have the gastric sleeve done. Currently I'm still really nervous about it but I think with the proper support I will be fine.

I'm 15 and I'm getting the gastric sleeve in 3 weeks and Im really excited so start a healthier life.

I would add, not to be negative, just realistic, do you know for sure you can give up french fries, a hamburger from a fast food place, pizza, macaroni and cheese, soda, alcohol, fried chicken, biscuits, and that sort of food the rest of your lives? Please do a ton of research here because you seem to be very young and this is not an easy journey for any of us. I wish you all the best. I have dieted my entire life and everyone in my family has been overweight. I wish you good guidance and the best!

I would add, not to be negative, just realistic, do you know for sure you can give up french fries, a hamburger from a fast food place, pizza, macaroni and cheese, soda, alcohol, fried chicken, biscuits, and that sort of food the rest of your lives? Please do a ton of research here because you seem to be very young and this is not an easy journey for any of us. I wish you all the best. I have dieted my entire life and everyone in my family has been overweight. I wish you good guidance and the best!

I understand what you are saying but i would much rather live a healthier life without eating all of that greasy bad food than live a life ruining my body (which should go for everyone). Plus i don't even eat very many unhealthy foods, I've always been healthy but it had never reflected on the outside because of other problems so i have looked at this surgery as a last resort to a healthy life, we humans often forget that we eat to live not live to eat. But thank you for your concern.

I understand what you are saying but i would much rather live a healthier life without eating all of that greasy bad food than live a life ruining my body (which should go for everyone). Plus i don't even eat very many unhealthy foods, I've always been healthy but it had never reflected on the outside because of other problems so i have looked at this surgery as a last resort to a healthy life, we humans often forget that we eat to live not live to eat. But thank you for your concern.

I understand completely. My husband has lived his entire life being overweight, from a baby. He suffered so much, and was so judged by people. He did Optifast twice in his life and lost 100 lbs, then had a heart attack. I applaud your courage, and I know this can work for you like it has for us. It will take at least 4 months post sleeve for you to get your bearings with food. I wish you a lifetime of looking good and not living your life being overweight. I was 50 when I lost the battle of the weight and my health declined rapidly. Cheers to a sweeter life! Linda

I understand completely. My husband has lived his entire life being overweight, from a baby. He suffered so much, and was so judged by people. He did Optifast twice in his life and lost 100 lbs, then had a heart attack. I applaud your courage, and I know this can work for you like it has for us. It will take at least 4 months post sleeve for you to get your bearings with food. I wish you a lifetime of looking good and not living your life being overweight. I was 50 when I lost the battle of the weight and my health declined rapidly. Cheers to a sweeter life! Linda

Thank you! And i really hope that this works for me because I have been overweight sense i was 1 and I'm 15, I'm sick of dieting or even starving myself and not loosing one pound. I have always been involved in sports, pretty much any sport you can think of, I've done it, i currently play lacrosse at my school, i have to stay involved in sports year round because if i don't, i will just gain and gain. No doctor has ever told me what is wrong with me and it sucks to be looked at as the fat girl who probably eats all day when in reality i eat very little. I have no problem with the healthy food and restriction that the surgery will cause because i have eaten like that my whole life. My whole family is extremely healthy and fit including me but you just cant see it. I am hoping that this surgery works for me because if it doesn't i will be so upset with everything and probably give up. Once again thank you.

I have also been overweight my entire life, but have tried diet after diet, eat pretty healthy, and stay active. I'm 23 and about to get the surgery in June. I have PCOS and this surgery is like my last hope to succeed at being healthy on the outside. Good luck!

I have also been overweight my entire life, but have tried diet after diet, eat pretty healthy, and stay active. I'm 23 and about to get the surgery in June. I have PCOS and this surgery is like my last hope to succeed at being healthy on the outside. Good luck!

Good luck to you too!

I'm in the same boat. I can stick to a strict diet and lose so much weight the first week and then eat the exact same things the following weeks and either lose nothing or gain. I've been over weight my whole life and have had numerous test done to see why I can lose weight. All test come back with no results. I'm hoping this surgery will help. My biggest fear is that it's not going to. I have not problem with restricting my self and eating healthy because that's pretty much what I do anyway. I am 23 and I will be having the surgery in July! I'm really excited to see where this takes me.

Good luck to you ladies!!!

I've decided to have the gastric sleeve done. Currently I'm still really nervous about it but I think with the proper support I will be fine.

indeed girl you will be!! All the very best to you!! I am also 18..I had my surgery in December 2013.. Its the best thing that ever happened to me! My life has completely changed since surgery!! its been almost 6 months and I have lost a good amount weight!! I am a completely a new person with hell lot of confidence!! believe me you are taking the best decision of your life!! the compliments you will get after the surgery will be worth of every single compromise you will make before and after surgery!!

indeed there comes a time when you will not be able to resist this thing but then that will be the time when you will have to work hard!! for me it was around 4 months post op!! and it took me around 2-3 weeks to come back to normal diet!

so this is how you learn lessons for the rest of your life!!

Anyways All the very best to you!!!! And don't worry its the best thing decision you have taken!! cheers! :)

I am 18 and just got sleeved the 28th. I am hoping doing this sooner rather than later will prevent me from getting any more disease/ joint damage than I already have. So far things have been great I hope this will finally be the solution to this lifelong struggle. I am also in college. Class of 2018 add me :)