Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone. First post

Hello everyone. My name is Michelle and this is my first post on here. I am really excited to get to meet some other people to share my thoughts as I go through this life long journey. If everything goes as planned I will be having gastric bypass surgery in October. It seems like such a long time away but I know it will be here before I know it. My surgeon is Robert Richard of Gainesville GA. I am currently going on my 3rd nutritional visit out of 6, for my insurance company. I have already seen the psychologist and he cleared me. He said I was pleasant and that I had a clear grasp of everything that was expected before and after the surgery.

I am looking for a friend to talk to, someone who is maybe going through pre-op or someone who has gone through surgery who could give me some insight on what to expect.

Bye for now, I can't wait to meet some wonderful people on here. biggrin.png

Michellew1, hi! I'm Nancy and I am hoping to have my by pass surgery or sleeve in August. I've been cleared by the psychiatrist, visited the nutritionist, and will have my 2nd weigh in next week. My insurance company requires 3 months supervised diet.

I am excited to be on this journey and look forward to being healthy again. I go from excitement to nervousness, but that seems to be par for the course. I just want to have my surgery and move on to the next phase of my life..one that is FULL OF LIFE and not sitting on the sidelines!

I wish you much success and am willing to share thoughts and feelings with you if you wish. This is a rather up and down roller coaster ride it seems, but we will all come through the other side in much better health!

Take care, and bye for now. :-)

Hi Nancy. It is good to talk to someone who is going through the same feelings as you. I am nervous at times and excited at other times. But mostly excited and anxious to get it done so I can start getting healthy.

Message me anytime :)

Welcome Michelle,

This is a great place to come to talk and ask questions.

Let me tell you a little about me. I am seven months out and I feel great. I had no major complications from the surgery. I eat at restaurants when I go out socially. I eat a variety of foods. I find by trail and error that I can eat certain fishes over others. I can eat turkey and chicken only in certain forms. I can eat beef if it's slow cooked and soft. I prefer Egg Beaters over eggs but can eat regular eggs too. I eat reduced fat cheese and some times with crackers. I eat greek yogurt with Splenda and sometimes fruit because regular yogurts have to much sugar. I eat a Quest Protein Bar every day and a Protein shake every day to make sure I get in enough Protein in. I drink plenty of Water. Probably enough to fill an ocean. LOL. I eat fruit and vegetables.

The most important thing you can do is listen to your surgeon and nutritionist and follow the guidelines they give you.

Always eat first of all your protein and drink all your Water every day.

Your feelings are normal about this surgery and you will be glad you did it.

I wish you success on your journey into this new chapter of your life.

Edited by Chelly

Good luck michelle and nancy! This is a long journey, but its a good time to prepare and make sure you are as ready as you can be for ur new life. Im 7 months post op and can eat anything with no problem. Im happy to answer any questions. Chelly, id love to keep in touch with u since we had surgery at about the same time. Sounds likw u r doing well!

Michelle and Nancy ~

Congrats on your decision to take control of your health and good luck to you on your surgery. I am almost 6 weeks post-op and am doing pretty well. I just want to echo everything Chelly recommended regarding getting your Protein and Water in every day. I still struggle with the Water on a daily basis because I still have slight pain in my pouch when I swallow water (or any liquid over room temp, but especially water). It gets a little better every day, though, as it continues to heal. Just follow your doctor's plan and you will have success.

You may find that your tastes change somewhat after surgery. You may not like some of the foods you used to like, or be able to tolerate them; and, you may suddenly find you like foods that you never really cared for before.

You will probably be somewhat bloated and have some gas pain right after surgery. Walking definitely helps. Walk as much as you can tolerate those first days after surgery to help alleviate some of the gas pain. You'll be pumped full of fluids during your hospital stay, so don't expect to lose much weight in the first week or so, until the fluids have had a chance to be flushed out of your body.

Again, good luck to you both. I wish you health, happiness and great success! :)

Hello everyone. My name is Michelle and this is my first post on here. I am really excited to get to meet some other people to share my thoughts as I go through this life long journey. If everything goes as planned I will be having gastric bypass surgery in October. It seems like such a long time away but I know it will be here before I know it. My surgeon is Robert Richard of Gainesville GA. I am currently going on my 3rd nutritional visit out of 6, for my insurance company. I have already seen the psychologist and he cleared me. He said I was pleasant and that I had a clear grasp of everything that was expected before and after the surgery.

I am looking for a friend to talk to, someone who is maybe going through pre-op or someone who has gone through surgery who could give me some insight on what to expect.

Bye for now, I can't wait to meet some wonderful people on here.

Hi. My name is Kim. I live in Marion Ohio. I too have been cleared and now finishing up my 30 days cpap conplaince from surgeon. My insurance requires nothing from me have been approved for may 19 the.

Welcome! I am sort of new as well. I just received my approval yesterday. Looks like ill be having surgery sometime in June :).

Welcome!! I had my rebirthday on March 5th. I had surgery in Marietta, GA and live in Peachtree City, GA. I've lost over 40 pounds so far and have had some minor complications with my pouch and stoma swelling. I am getting better each day, although I can't eat anything solid without throwing up or feeling sick. I've had to have a scope and balloon to stretch open my pouch and stoma and I go again on the 5th of May. I know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel but it's been kind of rough, but I would do it all over again.

This is a great place to ask questions, and get support. Wishing you all the best!!

Hi Michelle!

Welcome! I am pretty new myself, but people have been very kind. I am 14 months post-op, and would be happy to chat or answer any questions you may have.