Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Nutrition Counseling Session

So today was the first of six sessions of nutrition I have to attend in order for my insurance company to even consider paying for my surgery. This is just one of the many requirements as part of my pre-op hoops to jump through. I wasn't sure what to expect, but i thought I would be walking out with a menu plan already done. I wanted to go to the grocery store, buy it and be on my way to immediate weight loss. (Lol-whose dreaming?). Instead I walked out with a better understanding of how food fuels my body, and why I have struggled to lose weight and keep it off. I am thankful for this requirement because without the knowledge I don't know if WLS would have worked long-term. That is my experience thus far. What are the experiences of you?

Lucretia

Truth be told, I was only half engaged during my nutritionist sessions pre-op. Now, however, I have a million questions for her. Try to take notes and don't be afraid to phone them.

I know how you feel. I'm anxious to start losing but I don't see the nut until next week and don't think she will put me on a weight loss plan yet. The doc wants me to start slow and incorporate good habits so I will be able to keep the weight off after I lose it. I'm supposed to practice chewing until the food is applesauce consistency. I find that difficult to do. I usually just inhale food or swallow it whole. I have lost 60 - 80 pounds several times and gained it back plus more. Even with the sleeve the weight will come back if we revert to old habits. Good luck to you.

Hi Lala Taylor,

Sounds like you have a good nutritionist! Mine basically handed me some paper work with minor information on it, that told me to pick a good shake cause I would be drinking a lot of them and that was basically it. She did recommend Costco's Premier Protein shakes which appears to be a favorite on here, so I can at least be grateful for that.

I've finished an interview with the psychiatrist and he approved me to go forward and now I'm in the 3 month medically supervised diet phase. I have my 2nd weigh in next week.

I am hoping for an August surgery date..or earlier if possible. Do you have a surgery date yet?

I wish you the best of success in all you do. You have made a wonderful decision for yourself and once we are each on the "other side" of surgery I know life will be healthier!

So...To your health! :-)

I have my appointment with the nutritionist Mid- May Pretty excited. As to I didnt even think I could start seeing the drs since Im 6 months pregnant but they said that is fine. After reading some comments I would imagine that my difficult part would be the slow chewing.. Like if Im hungry .. Im hungry and in that rush for it to be in my belly !! But Hearing that if you dont chew well you will be sick and possibly throw up, Ive done enough throwing up with this pregnancy to last me a lifetime. lol But Congrats to all for taking that 1st step and Hope I can report back next month with some more good news and appointment dates.

I am due for my third visit. This month I slid back into old habits. My Nut basically wants me to learn to be better at habits and behaviors that will aide me in my journey to lose and keep off the weight. I was great the first month, wearing my BodyMedia Fit Link armband, using MyFitnessPal app to log all my foods and calories. Then a week before my May appointment I quit doing my logging, and then also haven't started up again until this week. I had a f/u visit with my psych doc who did the eval and placed me on some medication. I expected to discuss my issues with her that day but she just asked some simple questions and doubled my dosage and sent me out the door, it happened so fast I didn't think to ask about therapy actually occurring. I need to make sure she has me in for a session not just med management for this next appointment. I got my chest xray done and my abdominal ultrasound done. I need my upper GI test done, some labs, finish the nut supervised 6 months diet and then I can submit. I hope to submit for approval in late September/early October. I am not losing weight yet. I need to seek out support groups. That is pretty lacking. I also think I need to attend some Overeaters Anonymous groups. My husband has been out of state all month and he is such a good support to me for exercising and getting out to do things. And watching my diet. I didn't realize what a big help he is for that until he was gone. I feel really down about going right back to old habits, I feel like I am failing myself and if I can't do this 20-30 pound weight loss prior to surgery how can I expect myself to be successful post surgery??? sighs... I am trying to get back on the wagon of logging calories and exercising. Anyone want to help me and be a support buddy hit me up! :rolleyes:

Hey girl,

I will be your buddy. Everyone needs someone to talk to about this overwhelming process. I haven't been perfect pre-op. But I am not beating myself up about it. If I try to make every change overnight I will be right back where I started. This is a lifestyle change. I am focusing on Portion Control. I can't spend to much time focusing on what I can't have. That will drive me crazy. If someone has chips and I have a taste, I eat it. But I stop at one. Get the feeling out. I have even had an ice cream cone. A one time decision isn't why I gained all this weight. It is eating junk every day, every meal, and not moving at all. I am learning every day. I will get better and stronger and by surgery time, I will have so much information gathered and incorporated, I will find my own success. My weight loss goals have less to do with actual pounds and more about my knees not hurting anymore. Being able to walk up and down stairs regularly. I want to fit in my clothes. I want to go out dancing. I want to feel better in my skin. I want to take less medication. Hopefully none at all. In the end, I plan to define my success. I have a picture of myself from several years ago. I wasn't small by any means, but my smile was a little brighter. When I get there, I will define that as success. When I can fit in a certain pair of jeans, that's success. When I can wear my favorite heels without pain, that will be success. We are taking a huge step in the fight for our lives. However, we get there we have to be proud of making the effort. Some people never get the courage.

L.

Love your attitude, Lala! You are right, ultimately we are the ones making the food choices. My first nutrition appointment was this week and it was really good. The weigh in didn't come until the end and showed I had dropped 2 whole pounds since my April 23rd information session and beginning appointments. Small steps. My goals for the month are to read labels before purchasing; eating on a salad plate at least one meal three times a week; getting in all of my water; and moving by walking around the block three times a week.

The weight didn't get here in a day; I can't expect it to miraculously just drop off. Though, I wouldn't mind some Adipose coming off and walking out my door. (FYI - Dr. Who reference, you'll probably see a lot of those, cause I'm geeky like that).

Don't try to run a marathon when you still don't know how to stand upright. I figure it is going to take a lot of faceplants before I get good enough at the whole good choices part to be able to walk my way over to the other side of the room. But, isn't that why we are all here? To support and encourage each other? I will wish you all the success in the world, but I KNOW you got this!

I did well in making food choices for a couple of days and then had one of my "hollow leg" days where I couldn't seem to get enough to eat. Still, only one of those this week instead of having them every day, so that is progress in and of itself. I'm sure you had them too, FaeMystique; look at you! You did log and watch your choics for two months! That is quite the accomplishment! *high five*

I just had my second nut appointment and I gained weight I'm so frustrated but it was only 2 pounds nothing major I'm gonna turn in 2 weeks of food logs to my nut and see where I can improve