Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band removal while pregnant???

Does anyone know the risks of having band removal surgery while pregnant? Or if it's even possible?

I'm 11 wks pregnant, and want my band removed ASAP.

I was banded in Apr 06, and have had a port infection that has developed into pseudomonas (a deadly infection). My doctor put me in the hospital for a week on IV antibiotics in Nov, and last month had to do a minor procedure where she had to go in and turn my port over (it was upside down). The newest development is that the tubing on the band is coming through my incision. My dr attempted to fix it, but that didn't work. Needless to say, it's been a real pain!

When I informed her of my pregnancy, she told me to stop taking my antibiotics, and that we would have to put off any more treatment until after the baby is here.

I trust her, but the thought of the infection building and swirling around in my body while I'm carrying a baby is terrifying. I can deal w/ the pain and the draining...but if it were to harm the baby somehow, I couldn't live w/ myself. I'm not sure if the infection can even spread to the baby or not ...?

I know this is a rare and complicated situation, but if anyone has any insight, I would greatly appreciate your responses!

Hi there Natalie'sMummy (love the name lol)

I'm 11 days out of a band replacement and i'm 30 weeks pregnant. So it is possible to operate while pregnant. I do have to say that the risks going into the surgery where very high and i had to weigh everything out with both my band Dr and my OBGYN before we went ahead.

My band slipped early on in my pregnancy, but i had to deal with the pain, vomiting etc until i was much further into my pregnancy where it becomes a little safer to operate.

One of the highest risks involved with surgery during pregnancy is going into early labour, so we wanted to make sure the baby was at a point where if this happened it would survive. Also if i remember correctly, the chances of abnormalities decrease later in pregnancy as most of the development has been completed.

I would say that if your only 11 weeks, it would be way to risky to perform surgery now, although they should be able to put u on antibiotics, (i was on and off them for most of the early stages of my pregnancy, malnutrition lead to so many sicknesses).

Try to get a second opinion so u can fully weigh the facts for yourself.

I do understand how your feeling, i went through 6 mths of total torture, on one hand i was in the worst possible pain, getting no nutrients in for myself let alone the baby, and on the other hand all i wanted was to make sure the baby would be safe. It's a hard position to be in and if you ever need to talk please pm me. I know i felt like i was totally on my own as surgery during pregnancy is such a unique thing.

There are certain times during pregnancy when it's ok to undergo surgery and certain times it's not advisable. I would talk to your OB/GYN about it.

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

Got a question? Ask the doctor at www.TheBandDoctor.com

877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: If am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Thank you both for your advice!! I really learned alot!

MzAngel, I'm relieved someone can actually relate to my situation. Sounds like you've been through alot yourself! Everything you said makes sense. However, I had no clue that when slippage occurs it's so painful. You poor thing. I'm glad you got the surgery you needed!

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. Good luck w/ your new band and new BABY! :rolleyes:

Let me explain that a little further LOL, it wasn't the slippage itself that was painful, it was the raw sore throat, the constant cramping of the stomach ........ it was all the side effects of the slippage that were painful and having to deal with them for so long.

Please keep up updated on what happens. I wish you all the best and hope it all works out for you. I'm glad i'm now on the other side and can finally enjoy this pregnancy and look forward to my new baby with joy. :rolleyes:

I was pregnant with a slipped band. The doctors didn't want to touch me unless it was life or death...of course that can be difference in opinion. At first all I could eat was broth and mash potatoes and the doctors said eat what you can and sent me home! Finally it got to the point where I wasn't eating or drinking ANYTHING...finally after losing 11 pds in a week they put me in the hospital. I ended up on a feeding tube thru my main vein. I forget what you call that..well anyway I stayed that way until I had my son. I threw up 6-10 times a night and that doesn't include how sick I was during the day. I was a walking zombie. I just wanted my son to be OK so I suffered thru it! He turned out OK and I had my band removed a week later.

Its up to you...there are lots of risks. Find out more about the infection and how that could effect the baby. If the risks are lower than surgury itself that is something to consider. You will have to push to get what you want. Good luck and best wishes.

There are certain times during pregnancy when it's ok to undergo surgery and certain times it's not advisable. I would talk to your OB/GYN about it.

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

Got a question? Ask the doctor at www.TheBandDoctor.com

877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: If am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Dr. C...

Is it possible to remove the band and tubing under a local? Could this potentially prevent general anesthesia?

Anybody know if being pregnant increases your risk on the band slipping? I'm planning on having another child in the next few years, and will hopefully be banded in early June. I never even thought that the band might slip during pregnancy.

Anybody know if being pregnant increases your risk on the band slipping? I'm planning on having another child in the next few years, and will hopefully be banded in early June. I never even thought that the band might slip during pregnancy.

I'm not sure, but on another thread, someone said they had to get thier band unfilled so that the morning sickness didn't cause the band to slip.

I wouldn't say the pregnancy itself would cause a slip, but if u had sever enough morning sickness that might do it. You may feel more restriction though as the baby grows and hormones change.

I've been banded since 2002 (had a slippage in 2005 and then rebanded in 2006) during all this time I made it clear that I was planning on having children in the future and I was told there would be no reason the band should slip during pregnancy unless you have heavy "morning" sickness that is putting a lot of pressure on the band. They recommend removing the Fluid from your band during pregnancy just to reduce the chance of vomitting enough to cause it to slip and to also make sure you are getting all the nutrients you need while pregnant. I'm going to officially start trying to get pregnant this June and don't plan to do anything about my band unless I have heavy "morning" sickness.

Yeap sounds right. There are lots of banded people that have had no problems with the band while being pregnant. Just if there are problems its risky to do anything while pregnant. I just waited it out and prayed for the best. I was so sick I was on a feeding tube....but most likely should be no problems. good luck

Thank you so much. I think y'all have just helped cement my plans for June. I am relieved. I CAN do this now!