Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys

Wanted some advice I had vsg on 10th march on 17th march had a light period but nothing this month. Iv got pcos and never had a natural period since my first ever bleed when I was 14 so a period after my op was a miracle.. Has anyone else been in a similar sito

Hi there... I will share my experience. I'm 41 diagnosed with pcos in my teens. First period also at 14 and didn't have any without provera or bcp most of my adult life until having a child...then they came 4 to 9 months apart.

I made a lot of lifestyle changes years before my vsg that made a difference with pcos. I exercised regularly, ate very low/low glycemic index carb, eventually going paleo (grain free) and through those changes and losing about 35 pounds on my own (honestly, I didn't start losing until I started metformin and I changed nothing... but I physically started recovering from my workouts after starting the meds, my periods started coming about 6 to 9 weeks apart. I felt like that was a HUGE deal.

I am only 10 weeks out from being sleeved, but I've had 2 periods and I can tell I've ovulated and will bet money I have another in about a week. So.... I definitely experienced an improvement. I am optimistic that my body is really starting to act "normal" and hopeful it will help with some of the unwanted pcos symptoms too.

I will say though, I've had some extreme PMS (like almost suicidal) that was VERY unlike me. I suspect it is all the released hormones in an already fragile hormone environment caused by the rapid weight loss.

Hoping this next one is a little easier on me!

Good luck to you!

The most amazing gift VSG has given me is the ability to communicate with my body. I'm 9 months out from VSG. I started this process at 288 and started ovulating at 260. I get my period every 5 weeks since then. They are bad but really predictable and I have nothing to compare them to. I still pluck daily and have to watch carbs but my cystic acne has cleared up, my moods are relatively stable, less ovary discomfort, blood sugar is regulated and otherwise symptom free.

I hate to hi-jack this thread but it caught my eye because my 15 (just turned 15) year old daughter was just diagnosed with this. Do you think this condition led to your initial weight gains? Any words of wisdom for a mom of a teen with this....for now and/or in the future.

Thanks for any information you might share. Her doctor really kind of scared me with all the "high risk" problems associated with this!

I was sleeved on 3/27 and have PCOS too. Ever since I started the pre-op diet, I've had just a little bit of bleeding every single day - but not a full on period. My doctor said that the estrogen is flowing like CRAZY after the surgery and your body is just bazerk - and it will stabilize.

I've not ever had normal periods - even as a teenager. However, I was able to get pregnant wthout any problems.

I've lost 35 pounds so far and I think I felt myself ovulate yesterday. I had a painful cramp down where my right ovary is and doc said that's probably what it was (it's now gone away and my gallbladder is already gone). It's amazing how my body will talk to me!

Good luck - hope this helped some.

Hi Steph-O...

I suspect that pcos has had a great deal to do with my weight struggles. I've always been athletic and have spent 80% of my post puberty life dieting and obsessively exercising in some form. I've rarely ever been in a normal bmi... Once on phen phen while eating maybe an apple and string cheese a day... I pretty much starved myself. I was a low bmi for the sleeve (32) but I' know exercise and sports are the only reason I wasn't way heavier . My sister also has pcos and many of the same complaints I do... She had gastric bypass 6 years ago.

I feel for your daughter, I hope so badly my own daughter escapes this hormonal mess!

That being said, I would recommend a good endocrinologist and /or at the least an on that is very knowledgeable in pcos for your daughter. There is so much more knowledge now about this, and better treatment options. Meteor min made a big difference for me...it seemed to help level the playing field with weight loss efforts.

Everyone experiences pcos different. I hate the facial hair more than anything! It's so masculine and I've always been so self conscious of it. Most people have no idea because I obsessively pluck and shave. My sister doesn't have that problem, but she has balding (very thinning scalp) from excess testosterone. We both had acne, horrible pms, very irregular absent periods , and extremely bad cramps. We both though childbirth was like bad cramps ( with exception of delivery but the contraction pain). Both of us were pretty immobilized from the pain of our periods when we did get them. It all improved with age and we both felt things were significantly improved after having children.

I do think pcos had a lot to do with my struggle with weight. I'm 5'8" and was 203 the day of surgery. I can't work out like a used to, I worry about injuries as I'm aging, I needed help and I am optimistic I can stop the metformin with the metabolic changes brought on with the sleeve.

Time will tell... I wish your daughter the best and the best advice I have is to make sure she has a knowledgeable dr. She listens to her body, and I highly recommend she cut out sugar and simple carbohydrates as much as possible. A major problem associates with pcos is insulin resistance. Even when test values are normal many pcos women still aren't able to utilize insulin correctly. It is why pcos runs such a high risk for diabetes and other problems later in life.

I personally never tolerated birth control pills... That was what most dr.s tried to treat me with, but for some reason theyade me extremely emotional, even suicidal...and I know it was the pills every single time when I stopped within weeks it went away. The Nuba ring has been the only thing that gave me regular periods without crazy emotional side effects.

Incidentally, I also have hyperprolactinemia, and lichen sclerosis ( I'm convinced both are somehow related to pcos and my lifetime of irregular and imbalanced hormones, but that's just my opinion)

I was not overweight as a teenager, but I was always counting calories , dieting, and still struggled with weight though I looked normal/athletic.

Hi Steph-O... I suspect that pcos has had a great deal to do with my weight struggles. I've always been athletic and have spent 80% of my post puberty life dieting and obsessively exercising in some form. I've rarely ever been in a normal bmi... Once on phen phen while eating maybe an apple and string cheese a day... I pretty much starved myself. I was a low bmi for the sleeve (32) but I' know exercise and sports are the only reason I wasn't way heavier . My sister also has pcos and many of the same complaints I do... She had gastric bypass 6 years ago. I feel for your daughter, I hope so badly my own daughter escapes this hormonal mess! That being said, I would recommend a good endocrinologist and /or at the least an on that is very knowledgeable in pcos for your daughter. There is so much more knowledge now about this, and better treatment options. Meteor min made a big difference for me...it seemed to help level the playing field with weight loss efforts. Everyone experiences pcos different. I hate the facial hair more than anything! It's so masculine and I've always been so self conscious of it. Most people have no idea because I obsessively pluck and shave. My sister doesn't have that problem, but she has balding (very thinning scalp) from excess testosterone. We both had acne, horrible pms, very irregular absent periods , and extremely bad cramps. We both though childbirth was like bad cramps ( with exception of delivery but the contraction pain). Both of us were pretty immobilized from the pain of our periods when we did get them. It all improved with age and we both felt things were significantly improved after having children. I do think pcos had a lot to do with my struggle with weight. I'm 5'8" and was 203 the day of surgery. I can't work out like a used to, I worry about injuries as I'm aging, I needed help and I am optimistic I can stop the metformin with the metabolic changes brought on with the sleeve. Time will tell... I wish your daughter the best and the best advice I have is to make sure she has a knowledgeable dr. She listens to her body, and I highly recommend she cut out sugar and simple carbohydrates as much as possible. A major problem associates with pcos is insulin resistance. Even when test values are normal many pcos women still aren't able to utilize insulin correctly. It is why pcos runs such a high risk for diabetes and other problems later in life. I personally never tolerated birth control pills... That was what most dr.s tried to treat me with, but for some reason theyade me extremely emotional, even suicidal...and I know it was the pills every single time when I stopped within weeks it went away. The Nuba ring has been the only thing that gave me regular periods without crazy emotional side effects. Incidentally, I also have hyperprolactinemia, and lichen sclerosis ( I'm convinced both are somehow related to pcos and my lifetime of irregular and imbalanced hormones, but that's just my opinion) I was not overweight as a teenager, but I was always counting calories , dieting, and still struggled with weight though I looked normal/athletic.

Thank you so much for your detailed response! I'm so sorry that you've had to go through so much but appreciate you sharing your experiences! I've taken notes and am going to follow your advice-never realized that she might see an endocrinologist. I'm going to look into that. The only thing she's on now is birth control pills but they are looking at starting her on the metformin in July. I'm just trying to educate myself on all of this now so I can help lead her down the right path. Again, thank you so much for your information!!!

I hate to hi-jack this thread but it caught my eye because my 15 (just turned 15) year old daughter was just diagnosed with this. Do you think this condition led to your initial weight gains? Any words of wisdom for a mom of a teen with this....for now and/or in the future.

Thanks for any information you might share. Her doctor really kind of scared me with all the "high risk" problems associated with this!

Its tough for me to say. I got pubic hair in third grade and went from underweight to overweight over summer break. Got pregnant as a teen and after that my weight went crazy. Started the depo shot and my period never came back. I had an endocrinologist tell me if I lose weight I won't have PCOS anymore but my sister has it also and she averaged 115 pounds. Hell if I know. Its different for all. The hair is so tedious. Its an obsession and it really messes with your self esteem.

Thanku all for your responses iv suffered silently with pcos because many are oblivious to it, It's a horrible silent killer that can really mess you up. Iv has my vsg and can see many changes in my weight but am feeling worried I won't still get my period n fall pregnant... Maybe I'm used to all that worrying n becoming impatient.

Weight loss for pcos is so important so of advise your daughter to stay active lose as much weight as possible while she's still young. Pcos never goes away but can be controlled.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions for my daughter. I appreciate your time and wish you all the best of luck. Dealing with the weight issue is tough enough-I'm sure adding this issue makes things even more challenging!!