Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is all the fuss about drinking water to lose weight?

Luckily I have never had a problem getting fluids in.... If I try. I can easily get 80-100 per day. That being said, if I don't drink enough, I feel extremely light headed and dizzy. Sometimes, It feels like I'm going to pass out. I never had this prior to surgery. Do I think drinking helps my weight loss, eh, Maybe. However, I do know I don't feel good if I don't drink enough.

I am exactly the same way. In fact sometimes I wonder if I drink too much Water a day! ;)

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_water.php

Here is a link on drinking Water and weight loss. This may pertain more to your initial question! Hope it gives you some answers.

Edited by Dorian

Okay so we all know that it is just healthy to stay hydrated whether you are trying to lose weight or not but why should we feel guilty if we don't meet our minimum daily requirement? I don't know if I have ever met my MDR and so far so good. I can see that it's supposed to keep you full thus making you eat less calories. That is a nice theory but that doesn't really work in reality. At least not for me anyway...when my stomach asks for food...it won't settle for less. Wondering about this, I decided to turn to good ol' google for some advice regarding this and this is what I came up with:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040105/drinking-water-may-speed-weight-loss

hmmm... interesting...looks like it only makes a VERY VERY small impact on weight loss.

What are everyon'es thoughts?

Why would you feel guilty?

I'm sorry but Schmily came onto this thread and wanted a fight so a fight is what she got. Now I can see why so many vets decided to leave this forum, because of people like Schmily, looking for a fight and then pretending to play victim. Sorry lady but I'm not giving in to it!!

I obviously missed something, thankfully, but I will remind you again that personal attacks will not be tolerated on these forums. Please refrain from such.

If you feel as if someone is picking a fight with you, hit the report button and then walk away. Thank you so much for your assistance in keeping these boards enjoyable for all.

Here's a good article on why bariatric patients benefit from Water

http://www.bariatricchoice.com/water-bariatric-gastric-bypass-surgery-patients.aspx

This was a good article to read. It's sad that this topic seemed to get poisoned. The intent of the question is very relevant and I'm sure there are many of us who have had WLS who find it difficult to get that Water in. I know for me it's not because I can't it's because I just don't want to...I'm ashamed to say.

I don't know why it is but I seem to never be thirsty, it's only been recently that I actually have had a feeling of thirst and seek out the water which I always flavor because I just don't want to drink plain water.

Anyone else ever feel that way.?

I know that when I am drinking enough water I do feel better, and I can tell that my system is working much better. When I'm not drinking enough I do feel sluggish and a bit "bound" up more so then when I am getting the water in. I try to drink what I feel I need not so much the amount anyone tells me to drink though and it varies daily....

How about you?

Well, I just got up and grabbed one of my bottles of "juice-water" from the fridge. We have beautiful Water where we live but still it's hard for me to drink it plain. I fill up 32 oz. glass juice bottles almost to the top with Water, add in 1/2 cup of aloe vera and a big splash of unsweetened cranberry. This really works for me -- and I need the hydration for joint pain, digestive health, etc. As far as weight loss, when I'm really good about getting the liquids in (I actually try for three of these 32 oz. bottles per day and usually get in two), then I see a drop on the scale. I can drink an entire bottle after a good workout.

I too am not a good Water drinker...I try too in step a glass before 10 another before noon one every two hours never quite get it done but I just keep trying...good luck all!!!

The goverment should outlaw Water you know how many people die each year in Water relaited accidents. The world would be much safer and not need so many bathrooms. And no matter what you do, do not listen to the healthcare provider on what is good for you and what to do after surgery. in fact why do we pay them at all.

The goverment should outlaw Water you know how many people die each year in Water relaited accidents. The world would be much safer and not need so many bathrooms. And no matter what you do, do not listen to the healthcare provider on what is good for you and what to do after surgery. in fact why do we pay them at all.

LOL

Lisacaron, Water is my biggest struggle I have a hard time getting it all in. My weightloss has been about 1.7 lbs a week for the past 3 weeks. I'm making it a point to make sure I'm getting at least 8 cups in (what my dr recommended) and see if my weight loss speeds up a tad. So we'll see how my experiment works.

i find that I swell if I don't drink alot of Water. Sounds crazy, but I'm with whoever said about flushing toxins.

LOL. Never mind.

Edited by SandyM

Me too, especially in the hot summer. Water water water.....I drink about 90 - 100 oz a day :)

Water keeps my blood pressure stable by flushing salts out of my body and is great for your skin. I believe we also use water to keep our bowels moving well and is the first thing to do if you feel hungry, however, drinking water for hunger has never helped me. I have to eat something.