Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Your Band Get Tighter A Few Days after Your Fill

My doctor has me waiting 8 weeks between fills. He is very slow. I wish it would have been every 4 weeks. The first few weeks are great and then the restriction becomes less and less but that is me everyone is different.

Not sure how long you HAVE to wait...but my doctor has me come in once a month...wish it could be sooner, especially when you know theres no restriction...:(

My Dr tells me there is no limit as to how many or how often I can get a fill. Banded Sept 30th, had my first fill Nov 1st and I've had at least 10 fills since then. Last week I had a fill and is at 10cc in my 10cc band. I'm having no restriction at all. I have in the past gotten a little restriction a week or two after I've had it. I'm so discouraged. How much more will they be able to put in my 10cc band.

I feel your pain...I haven't asked my doctor what size band I have because I know it will just stress me out. I have 6.5cc and I really thought the last fill would "be the one"....but alas it wasn't...I'm so afraid I will have 10cc and still no restriction...I just don't know what I would do...I've experienced that if it's "good" for me, then I feel some restriction, but if it's bad, seems I can eat and eat and eat;....I try my best to stay away from things I shouldn't eat for this very reason....not always successful, but I sure try...I guess I should be thankful that I CAN stay away from those "unhealthy" things now because in the past I had no will power to stay away from those things...guessing I should be thankful for the new will power :) Also, I can't wait till May 23rd to get the gel put back in my knee so I can start walking again....I'm so done with the pain and ready to get on with my life..can't help but think if I were able to walk/exercise the weight might come off quicker than it is with just dieting....

Not sure how long you HAVE to wait...but my doctor has me come in once a month...wish it could be sooner, especially when you know theres no restriction... :(

My Dr tells me there is no limit as to how many or how often I can get a fill. Banded Sept 30th, had my first fill Nov 1st and I've had at least 10 fills since then. Last week I had a fill and is at 10cc in my 10cc band. I'm having no restriction at all. I have in the past gotten a little restriction a week or two after I've had it. I'm so discouraged. How much more will they be able to put in my 10cc band.

Edited by ABLOND

I have had approximately 13 fills over the course of 16 months. I 'think' (HOPE!) I am finally in the green zone. (Noticing a real difference in this last fill...hoping it lasts). Anyway, my point is, while it can be frustrating not to get there immediately, I have to say because it took so long, I learned a lot along the way and have not had such a hard time with the rules of eating with the band. I have had over a year to adjust and I think that is a good thing. Since January of this year I was only losing a pound/pound and a half a month, But with this last fill I have dropped 3 lbs in 10 days. Be a patient. I am up to a little over 9 in a 14 cc band. Don't panic, relax and practice the rules of eating...you'll get there. And remember EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! :)

My band holds 10cc. Last fill (my third fill) he filled it 1cc totaling 7cc. It was much too tight. After vomiting all night and losing 3 pounds in one evening, I called the answering service the next day andy doc's partner called me back and told me to come in. He took out .75cc so now I have 6.25cc in. This happened about 3/12 weeks ago. At first I felt restriction and have even lost 1 more pound, but as of yesterday I don't feel restriction and I am nervous because I can tolerate liquid after eating. This has not been the case this far for me. I believe another .25cc totaling 6.5cc will be my green zone because I know for a fact I cannot go to 7cc. Should I be concerned that I can drink after meals like 20 minutes after instead of having to wait 45 minutes?

Lasal,

You should make sure your band hasn't slipped, after vomiting that much it could be possible. I am surprised your dr. didn't check that. I have a 14cc band and am filled 9cc's, I had to have some removed at 9 1/2 cc's because I got things stuck a lot and it was not pretty. As you can imagine very uncomfortable.. I had the vomiting like you. He did check me to see if I damaged the band or it slipped and it was fine. But I am glad he checks. As for restrictions, well its not just the band that restricts, you have to restrict yourself at some point too. My weight has not moved in months, I am frustrated, but happy at the weight I am at, would love to lose 10 more, but I am healthier now then ever. Good luck with it.

My last two fractions of a fill gave me perfect restriction, and then sort of "wore off" (for lack of a better description) after about three weeks. I do think everyone reacts a little differently after a fill. I swore I would not get another small fill, for fear that I would be too tight, but as of today, I am reconsidering and asking for another fraction of a fill the next visit I have in mid-June. My NP said that I'm now at the stage of having the band FINE TUNED!

After fills I feel it right away, and usually after three weeks it's what it's going to be. I've had four fills I'm at 9cc's in a 14cc band. I'm super tight in the morning and as the day goes on I feel perfect. BTW...my Dr will only give me a fill once a month. I go in even if I don't need a fill. Love the accountability and that's the scale I go by.

Just a caveat... While it's fun to talk about and it's interesting to see what other bandsters are doing, etc...please don't compare your band size, fill amount, number of fills or weight loss to anyone. I did that at first and it will mess with your head and your game plan. We all are different and have to find our own way. Find what works for YOU! Stepping off my soap box! Sorry!!

Best wishes!

I am a little over a year out from surgery and I think I've hit the green zone with my fill from 3 weeks ago. My last three fills have all felt green zone-ish, but my Dr didn't think so. I felt like I was eating so much less (which I was), but truly I wasn't eating a small bandster prortion. The weeks ago, I got filled (probably my 8th fill in the last 13 months). I have been fine drinking Water, but got nervous because even Protein shakes were very hard to swallow. I was thinking I have to be too tight.

I pulled out all my band info from a year ago and went over it with a fine tooth comb. It made me realize that I am in the green zone. I need to drink warm beverages every morning. I do a Protein shake mid morning. I do a small, mid-afternoon lunch, about 1/2 cup, with bites the size of my fingernail. dinner is small bites as well, usually about 3/4 cup total. I have to be done eating a couple of hours before bed in order to let everything go down and not feel uncomfortable. I physically CANNOT drink with my meals. Even a sip is uncomfortable.

I see the importance of making my food as nutritious as possible, because I'm eating much less. I was nervous after this last fill, thinking I must be too tight. Now, 3 weeks later, I realize the importance of strictly following the rules. I only feel too tight when I'm taking too big of a bite, eating too fast, or eating the wrong food.

Hang in there everyone. Follow the rules. Don't try to eat around your band with sliders and non-band food. It's not always fun, but losing weight is the goal. We can do this. Like someone else said, don't get caught up in the # of cc's in your band. It doesn't matter. The green zone may have been at 5 cc's for me, and it might take you 10. We will all get there if we follow the rules and see our Dr regularly. :)

I had a friend who did the band about two years before me--but she and i both have the same experience. Right after the band, it is quite tight for 24-48 hours--then for about two weeks it is pretty loose--like no change. Then, after 2-3 weeks, it really kicks in.

PA reminds me that the stomach is a living organ and will change over time.

Ok tell me when you say you cant drink with your meal is it because it is physically impossible or because you are not suppose to? I thought we were just suppose to wait to take a drink so that your body can get the nutrients from the Protein and things you are eating and you dont want to wash them down too soon. I am thinking that I am feeling tighter and maybe in the green zone but I can drink with my meal that is not a problem so am I wrong? I know we are all different but just interested.

I went for my second fill on 6/4 and as of 6/9 I lost 2.8 lbs, and this time the same day I have notice it wad little tighter than last time