Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band removed -- Back and feeling good

OMG!!

I haven't been here in ages, and THIS is what I find?!?!

I am so grateful your surgery went well, and that rebanding is covered, and all seems to be well in hand.

I miss you!!

xxoo

Donali

Alex- Did they have to remove your band, or did they remove it because you wanted to change band types? Also, Did they remove the port as well? If so, can you feel a hole from where it was? Just tell me if that's too nosy! I am just curious, since I had a slip too, but they were able to repair it. I am fearful of doing it again!

Hey Alex,

I'm so glad to hear that your recovering well and feeling like ur old self again. :clap2:

I can relate to your thought process in regards to replacing the band. Before going into my surgery (my slipped band was replaced with a larger band 11 days ago) i was worried about living life without the band even though i am at my goal weight. When i woke up with the band replaced there was definatly a sense of relief knowing that it was there if i needed it.

I to felt that hunger after surgery, but it passed after about a week. I think it was more to do with not being able to eat anything but liquid and mushies for so long before the surgery, that i felt the need to eat anything solid. Now that i've gotten a decent meal down, i'm able to use a little more self control. But knowing that the band's there, if my self control should totally leave me, is definatley a good thing for me.

Alex- Did they have to remove your band, or did they remove it because you wanted to change band types? Also, Did they remove the port as well? If so, can you feel a hole from where it was? Just tell me if that's too nosy! I am just curious, since I had a slip too, but they were able to repair it. I am fearful of doing it again!

My doctors said removing the band was necessary because of the significance of the slip. But I'm choosing to see it as a good thing, because this will enable me to get the larger band, which I hope will stick with me long term. They did remove the port as well, but so far I haven't been able to feel a difference. I'm still bandaged and there's still some localized swelling.

I don't think there will be a "hole," since the port lay between muscle and skin rather than being actually dug into anything. I just think I'll be smoother than I was before.

Holy Moly, here's what I get for not checking in more often. I'll have to dig around to get the whole story, but I'm glad you are recovering well, Alexandra.

You know what freaks me out? "I'm already hungry" Dang. :rolleyes:

Found it, I'm caught up. I'm sorry about your slip. Your positive attitude is such an encouragement! Thanks for sharing it. :eek:

Alexandra, I'm So Glad To Hear All Is Well. What Were Your Symptoms? I Have To See Dr. Abkin Monday Because I Think I May Have Slippage Also But He Said I Would Vomit All Day.

Hi Kathy! Nice to see you! I'm doing great four days out. I am leery of making any predictions, but so far the hunger is not bad. I get hungry like a normal person, I eat a little, and I'm OK.

Le2sha, I really didn't "vomit all day" but I was having a very hard time eating. For the last three weeks I really couldn't eat anything beyond things like yogurt and soup; anything firmer would just stick in my esophagus until it came back up. And the worst symptom was not being able to lie down to sleep; as soon as I would fall asleep my esophagus would relax and material would come up into my throat and sinuses. Nasty!

Good luck with your exam, I really hope everything is OK.

Alexandra, that sounds really horrible. I'm glad everything is getting better dor you. I'll keep you posted on what Dr. Abkin says tomorrow.

Alexandra, glad things went well for you. This is pretty interesting to me, that you want a bigger band. For about a month now, with all the PB problems I've had, I've been thinking that my doctor used a small band on me, and probably should have used a VG. I think the next time I see him, I'm going to ask him, but I doubt he'd tell me the truth anyway, worrying about a law suit.

Alexandra,

Have you thought about a sleeve gastrectomy? I think it's a good option for bandsters who had complication requiring removal.

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

Got a question? Ask the doctor at www.TheBandDoctor.com

877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: If am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Hi LBT family! I'm back from surgery and the news is that the band was removed. All in all, everything went VERY smoothly, and all my fears were alleviated.

Yesterday and this morning I'd worked myself up in to quite a state with all the what-ifs and could-go-wrongs, so it was such a relief to hear the doctors tell me that everything is just fine with me internally. The removal went smoothly, and I'll be back at work on Wednesday or Thursday.

In three or four weeks I'm going to follow up with the doctors, and at that time I'll start thinking about replacing it with the VG band. But one step at a time. For now I'm healing and drinking and being grateful for good friends (shout out to Alexra!!) and great doctors, and this support group which keeps me going.

Just another stop on the band journey. :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Alexandra,

Have you thought about a sleeve gastrectomy? I think it's a good option for bandsters who had complication requiring removal.

Hi Dr C!

I have thought about it, but not very seriously because at this point--with a BMI of 30--my common sense tells me that I should be able to manage this on my own. Emotionally and realistically I want a band back inside me as insurance against future gain, but I really don't have any designs on losing more weight. Presumably a sleeve gastrectomy would cause more weight loss, right?

Also, I can't do anything my insurer won't pay for. So my options are limited. But I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts about SG for patients who are no longer in active weight-loss mode. Do you think it makes sense as a choice for post-bandsters who are satisfied with their weight loss?

Alexandra, glad things went well for you. This is pretty interesting to me, that you want a bigger band. For about a month now, with all the PB problems I've had, I've been thinking that my doctor used a small band on me, and probably should have used a VG. I think the next time I see him, I'm going to ask him, but I doubt he'd tell me the truth anyway, worrying about a law suit.

You should indeed ask him what kind he used, if for no other reason than you should be informed about your health. I've heard my doctor say that the difference is slight, but clearly there are people for whom the VG band makes more sense.

I think you would probably lose more weight with a sleeve. Your insurance won't cover it, nor would they cover a band with your BMI at 30 though.

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

Got a question? Ask the doctor at www.TheBandDoctor.com

877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: If am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Hi Dr C!

I have thought about it, but not very seriously because at this point--with a BMI of 30--my common sense tells me that I should be able to manage this on my own. Emotionally and realistically I want a band back inside me as insurance against future gain, but I really don't have any designs on losing more weight. Presumably a sleeve gastrectomy would cause more weight loss, right?

Also, I can't do anything my insurer won't pay for. So my options are limited. But I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts about SG for patients who are no longer in active weight-loss mode. Do you think it makes sense as a choice for post-bandsters who are satisfied with their weight loss?