Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have chewed food and spit it out. I am 5 days post op. Has anyone else done this? I want to chew and taste food so bad.

I have chewed food and spit it out.

@@amumes

i have seen/heard some others here have done that :wacko:

YEACH :o :angry:

i know why people do it, to get that taste of food :blink:

but i don't think its a good habit to get into :wacko:

welllll, you made it through your first 5 days,lived to talk about it LOL

holding glass up (of Water of course LOL)

here's to your improved health and happiness :)

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Some folks on here have done it. It's not recommended. IMHO you should try and avoid it. Best of luck to you.

I understand how tough our food addictions are. I have to still work on this myself. I realize the act of chewing releases tension and then the sense of the act feeds the feeling of eating. I think you have to really go through the steps which includes not eating and getting away from sugar. It does serve a real purpose to help you break the cycles of food addiction. You are experiencing withdrawal to a certain degree. I went through it too. I just think you have to try and stick with it. I know it's tough, good luck and wish you all the best as you work through this step.

Would Jello help you with the chewing issue? I don't think that's a good habit to get into but we all have our food issues or we wouldn't be here.

I follow a woman on YouTube who is over a year out and still chews and spits bread.

There were actually some big arguments on the boards in the past about this....http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/292939-how-to-guide-for-chewing-and-spitting/

The argument was so bad people left the boards it seems. In my opinion, it is kinda dangerous in that it could lead to doing it compulsively, aka a sort of eating disorder. I believe physiologically it is not good either in that it makes your body/metabolism think it is getting the food that you dont end up giving it. Can throw the system out of whack so to speak.

I dontbthink it is a good practice...lBut this is iust my opinion....maybe ask your NUT

I did it for 5 days out as well just rinse with Water good to go my surgeon said as long as not swallowing it's fine

Have you tried chewing sugar free gum?

I must say I've been tempted because I had an empty stomach and was so hungry for just about anything. It helps to have your shake in your hand while you're around household foods. Don't linger in the kitchen when you know temptation is there. I cook dinner every day and remember the delicious taste of every ingredient and every bite; I talk and remind myself that this liquid diet is not forever. I will eat again one day soon, these same foods in smaller quantities. Be patient, remember your weight loss goal, and stay on track.

I have done this only 2 or 3 times. It was with tough meat I knew I couldnt digest. But it was more of a i didnt know the meat wasnt tender enough so i spit it out. But Again i know how nice it is to chew your foods. what helped me in the beginning was Soups with super soft veggies in it and it made me think i was "eating" instead of drinking. But like everyone else said it isnt a good habit to get into.... it is an eating disorder if it becomes a daily thing. But I def chewed gum in the beginning like someone else mentioned. It REALLY helped me.... it was like my teeth ached to get used LOL

Ok. I don't think I am creating a habit. Haven't done it the last couple of days. Thanks to everyone who responded.