Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do u ever wonder how people here eat such a perfect diet - all the time?

For the record, I wasn't attempting to be judgemental about how anyone eats. I was truly just pointing out that not everyone can eat perfectly, or even want to. I see posts every single day to people who "cheat" and they're given a sermon about how to eat "right"

I apologize if I offended anyone. That was not my goal. My goal was to share that u don't have to be "perfect" and be successful.

Now I'm hanging my head in shame for offending anyone...

Marci

No worries, I completely understand how things can come across as unintended on these forums:) I also understand how you were probably feeling when you posted this. Trust me, nobody's perfect!

For the record, I wasn't attempting to be judgemental about how anyone eats. I was truly just pointing out that not everyone can eat perfectly, or even want to. I see posts every single day to people who "cheat" and they're given a sermon about how to eat "right" I apologize if I offended anyone. That was not my goal. My goal was to share that u don't have to be "perfect" and be successful. Now I'm hanging my head in shame for offending anyone... Marci[

Edited by sylvia45

I love this discussion - just finished every post. I think I'm somewhere in the middle, but all I can really know is where I am, right? Because this truly is about knowing myself. I know where I've come from, I know how I feel when I eat certain foods, I know how I tend to eat on most days and I see the success my choices have resulted in. I know how exercise makes me feel, and how much easier it is to lift up my disabled son when I stay close to the gym. I know when I chase my head hunger with real food I can never get full. I know my partner from work and her best girlfriend eat everything they want with their sleeves but work out like crazy and are forever working not to go underweight. I know getting back on track is much harder for me than staying on track. I know all the bariatric "rules" are based on scientific studies, which publish data based on how the majority of patient behaved and responded. I know that sometimes I am in in the majority but that very few people can be in the majority 100% of the time. Yes, there are generalizations & rules that have to be made for the sake of effective communication, but I can choose to follow all, most, many or few depending on how my mind & body react.

So, take the information you gain here, and from your own experiences, and learn from it. Learn about yourself, and you will succeed.

Awwww no shame don't hold your head. It just kinda sound like you were upset because folks were judging you but I did get the gist of your post and it's good to know that everyone falls short. This was a great topic, thanks for posting it.

For the record, I wasn't attempting to be judgemental about how anyone eats. I was truly just pointing out that not everyone can eat perfectly, or even want to. I see posts every single day to people who "cheat" and they're given a sermon about how to eat "right"

I apologize if I offended anyone. That was not my goal. My goal was to share that u don't have to be "perfect" and be successful.

Marci

Nah don't feel that way. Express yourself but... just like you want to be excepted for how u choose to work your sleeve, it's best to accept that in others even if it opposes your beliefs.

Hey I agree that one day I wanna let loose and feel free to do so, I just plan on maintaining for a while before I make small indulgences. But kudos to you, you've done a great job so far!!

I challenge your basic premise. I have been hanging around awhile and perfection is not a trait I see often among the long term maintainers. Consistently living a healthy lifestyle is the key.

I challenge your basic premise. I have been hanging around awhile and perfection is not a trait I see often among the long term maintainers. Consistently living a healthy lifestyle is the key.

i have been telling people for years... its not what you eat every single meal or even every single day... its the overall composition of your diet and lifestyle. if 80% of your diet is whole foods, with an emphasis on quality Protein, whole veggies, fruit and grains, you are doing great. even 100 pounds overweight, my cholesterol was 2 points away from perfect. i must have been doing at least something right!

that being said, there are plenty of people here who feel that junk food, processed carbs and sugar are trigger foods for them and they need to avoid them totally. i believe that crappy eating begets crappy eating. engineered food products are created with the specific purpose of making you want more of them, not to nourish you. if you are willing to go through this surgery to get healthy, feeling your body nourishing foods is a must. avoiding trigger foods is a must. not to be perfect, but to be successful.

While I am not perfect in what I eat, I always strive to be. At 46 years old I finally came to the conclusion I was not going to be able to get to a healthy weight on my own. So I put myself through a traumatic, life altering surgery to be able to do it. So in turn I was not going to waste the pain I put myself through and go at it half ass.

So yes I weight everything, choose the best food options and avoid the foods that put me in the position I was in. In my opinion if you are not prepared to go all the way, you should really rethink the decision to have this kind of surgery.

And I know I will probably get alot of flak about this, but from alot of what I read on this forum, there are many people that probably should be getting some counseling for eating disorders before going through with WLS. Because it is a waste of time if you cannot keep the bon bons out of your refrigerator.

I think there is a lot of middle ground between weighing, measuring and recording every morsel that passes your lips and keeping bon bons in your refrigerator. If the statistics follow a normal bell curve, then most everyone fits in the middle ground, with the few perfect ones, and the ones that absolutely do not worry about what they eat, at the edges of the curve. I know I am in the middle, not perfect, but no bon bons either! Well, maybe a cookie every now and then...

Marci

Marci, I have been reading posts from you for awhile concerning your struggles. You make a post such as this:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/304629-why-am-i-still-obsessed-with-food/

and I'm guessing you interpret my post as someone who finds themselves as perfect. I am not perfect. Far from it.

Perhaps you can help us ... how can we respond to posts requesting help and give suggestions, which we find worked for us, without coming off as being perfect? A lot of folks use tough-love here and I am one of them. When I make suggestions, I am not judging. I understand the struggles. I get it.

Why do I come to the forums and post? I have better things to do than find a place where I can judge others. I post because it reminds me of my struggles and what I must do. I was self-pay as well. This isn't something I could maintain on my own. I needed this tool and I need this forum to get a daily reprieve from my abusive behavior.

If someone doesn't need this, then I don't understand why they would even be on this forum in the first place.

I will be the first person to tell you that I am not perfect at all. I do measure my food at times, I do eat veggies cause I love them, and I am trying to like fruit. Just now I ate a slice of thin crust pizza and about 2oz of cooked chicken on the side. Should I ate the pizza? Most likely I shouldn't but I am in the middle of my period and sadly I listened to my body and ate. But it all comes down to your choices. If you wanna eat whatever you want go ahead nobody is judging you (or at least they shouldn't). I track my food to know I am getting my calories. I have the constant fear that I will regain my 100 pounds, so that is what keeps me wanting to make better choices in my life. I think its AWESOME that you lost 100 pounds! You go girl! Different surgeons, doctors, and nutritionists say different things. Yes, in the long run I do believe if you do not make healthier choices in your life you will not be able to keep the weight off. I am a returning WLS patient. I had the lap band back in 2008 and regained what I lost because I didn't strive to make different choices. I will never say I am done with "perfect" people because none of us are perfect to begin with. Its like no one shoe will fit all. We are all different with the same journey to become healthier by losing weight and changing our eating habits.

Edited by KayleeC14

marci, i read the post the pdxman posted. what you listed are all symptoms of an eating disorder. every single one of them. (i noticed no one actually used those words when responding to you on the thread) maybe what you are reacting to (in this thread) is feeling bad that others have been able to let go of their pre surgery eating habits, but you havent been able to, despite losing weight. dont feel bad, get the right kind of help instead. you wouldnt feel bad if you wanted to learn russian and a spanish teacher couldnt teach you, would you? you need to find someone who actually specializes in and has a good track record treating eating disorders. plenty of therapists and psychs claim to be able to treat eating disorders, but the fact is, only someone with specialized training and experience is going to be able to really help you, they way you need to be helped right now.

many areas have eating disorder advocacy groups. they usually maintain lists of people who specialize in treating EDs. maybe start there. good luck!

I don't think marfar7 has an eating disorder, unless it is the same one that all of us have that caused us to resort to WLS. After all, she is at a 25 BMI and has lost nearly 100 pounds. She must be doing something right!

I think her post was to let us know that you don't have to be perfect at measuring everything and not ever cheating in order to succeed at weight loss.

Of course...that is my opinion, and every one of us has one.

Tell us how you really feel. :D

Edited by Blondiee

I don't think marfar7 has an eating disorder, unless it is the same one that all of us have that caused us to resort to WLS. After all, she is at a 25 BMI and has lost nearly 100 pounds. She must be doing something right!

I think her post was to let us know that you don't have to be perfect at measuring everything and not ever cheating in order to succeed at weight loss.

Of course...that is my opinion, and every one of us has one.

Yes but to keep it off is the key. If we just rely on our tummy being small and eating small amounts that will not work 3 years out in my opinion. You have to train yourself to eat healthy 90 percent of the time. Yes 10 percent might be a sweet now and then or something special. If we eat what ever we want in small quanaties the reality is it won't last.... only my opinion. I think at 10 months if I was eating slider food all the time then at 20 months this would be an issue. I am going to work at trying to be 90 percent perfect. Once again I am just giving my thoughts on how I am doing it. Not to judge anyone else. We all have our own ways but this is how I am doing it. By the way sorry about my spelling I am just the worst.