Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very depressed ,Need help and guidance :((((

H All ,

I had my lap band on 5th Feb 2014 and then the first fill on 5th March. Everything was going fine till 2 weeks after the fill when I started feeling hungry and less restriction. I called my doctor and He wouldn't give me a fill or see me till 5th April .Then He was gone for a conference ,when He got back I had to travel and now I am due for my 2nd fill on Wednesday 23rd April. I have gained the weight I had lost.I have no restriction and can eat everything. All advice will be greatly appreciated as I feel horribly low:((((((

God Bless !

Aasma

Hang in there. The 1st couple months are almost just dieting! Restriction, usually, comes after a couple fills. Some lucky people never need fills and have restriction right a way, that was not me! In 2009, I had surgery in November, and did not really lose much until spring.

don't get discouraged. As Kil724 pointed out its a diet until you start feeling restriction. Its spring, take advantage of it if you can and burn off some calories. Start increasing your Protein and decreasing your carbs and fats. If you don't have a fitness app, find one that suits you. Lose it is good and so is MFP. Don't give up. Remember the band is a tool and it will not do all of the work anyway, you are going to have to do some on your own. Might as well start now. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

I had my first fill on April 9th and I also don't feel much restriction. I can eat anything, I just don't. Like kll724 said, it's basically just dieting right now. My next fill appointment isn't until May as my doctor will only do them every 6 weeks.

It's hard work and it's easy to get discouraged, but you just have to keep working hard. It can take several fills before you feel anything and maybe even more until you get just the right amount of restriction. Don't give up! Keep track of what you eat, stay hydrated, and get moving, even if it's only walking. Find a hobby even! Staying busy helps take your mind off the food.

You can do this :)

Pink, I'm sorry to inform you that you have contracted the dreaded disease known as "Bandster Hell". This disease afflicts about 90% of all bandster's and can go on for several months. It's imperative that you follow your doctors orders and continue receiving adjustments until the symptoms disappear.

Many bandster's avoid excessive weight gains by eating healthy foods and obey "mindfull eating" habits. This is a disease few doctors or nutritionists inform their patients of. Sucks don't it? :( Welcome to Bandster World. :P

I also in Bandster Hell I believe. I am looking forward to Monday when I get my first fill. I have people that know I had the surgery asking all the time how much weight I have lost and it is so embarrassing to say 30 then gained back 10....UGH

I agree bandster hell is horrible to have but it's not terminal! you do come out of it. Remember as we all have to, we didn't gain all our weight in a few weeks, it took years, why would we think it's going to come off in a few weeks? You will eventually reach a time when you will lose the weight and not worry about the numbers, its about how healthy you feel. It's hard not to worry, but don't worry, follow your doctor's suggestions, anytime you feel bad it's ok to say so, and there are times we do need to talk to a therapist and its ok. Not only is our body changing everything about is.

Best wishes and good luck!

pinkylat I can only reiterate with those that have responded to you above. the first few months are a struggle...just remember at this time we have to remember portions of what we eat okay? I am also struggling and have had two fills only at 3 cc's and feel no restrictions...so I am really watching what I am eating...I have fallen off the band wagon a couple of times...but climb right back on. that is all we can do until we get to our green zone. hang in there sweetie...you'll do fine!!! and we are here to help you through. hope to chat with you soon!!!

This is completely normal. I remember going in for my first fill and feeling good restriction for a couple of weeks and then after that feel hungrier than I was before my fill. I went back to the Dr. for my next monthly check up and he told me this was completely normal. What happens is when they fill the band you do get some restriction because your stomach is swelled and then once that swelling is gone you're back to no restriction. He gave me another fill and since then I haven't needed another. There are times when I wonder if I couldn't use a little more but then I remind myself that there is a thin line between great restriction and miserableness (which no one wants and this can acutally make you gain if you're too tight), so instead what I've done is learned how to make healthy choices when I do get hungry in between meals, like 1-2oz of cheese, or maybe some veggies dipped in okios greek yogurt french onion dip etc. We've all been told the band is just a tool but if not properly filled it really is just a ring until you reach that "sweet" spot but even then you have to make the right choices you have to strengthen your mind, find something to do when that head hunger kicks in. I find that head hunger typically only lasts for about 5 min once you find something to occupy yourself so go outside and walk, clean the house, do the dishes anything.....

You will do just great once you find your "sweet" spot and the weight that you've gained will come right back off so don't get discouraged just keep pushing on and whatever you do tell yourself that giving up is not an option.

Wishing you all the best!

pinkylaty I will have you in my thoughts today...hope you are not still beating yourself up!!! I can only tell you it will get better...after all these weeks and struggling with eating I am down 1 lb...not what I want to lose, but at least I am finally moving downward. you are gonna be just fine, I can just feel it. let me know how it goes today...you can message me if you'd like. have a great day!!!

Thank you all for your support.It's much appreciated.I got my second fill today and the Doctor told me to be patient and also when we discussed my food ,I was taking in a lot of liquid calories.I am planning to write down what I eat or better still ,like my doctor said to eat 3 meals focusing on Proteins.

All help and ideas are welcome :))))))

Hugs to all ,Stay Blessed !

This just goes to show us that one on one communication with a professional is always the #1 method to solve most of our problems/concerns. I recall when I was post op 4 months and I was in Bandster hell and hadn't lost any weight for the prior 3.5 months. I wasn't a happy camper. But a one on one visit with my nutritionist solidified my journey. I too wasn't eating the proper mix of foods. Once I modified my eating habits, my life changed. Good for you Pinky!!

so glad you are in a better frame of mind today pinkylaty...you are doing great!!! and now you know what to eat you will get on track even better now. :D

Keep trying to they get it right it can be headache going back and forth I had the band for 6 years and I jus switch over to the sleeve this year