Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant w/ raging infection :-/ (DON'T GO TO MEXICO!)

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Hello,

Im so sorry for what you went through. I have used DR.Huacuz for my Lap band and would do it over again. I also went back and had a Breast lift and implant and The Doctor does do Implants but the lift he told me he was going to bring another Doctor in to do the lift Becouse he wasnt comfortable with doing that yet though he has been bringing this Doctor in and working with him on this procedure. That really showed me that he was concerned about and not taking all my money for his self. I have Rhuemitiod athritis and I get Infection ALOT. I did have a small infection in my stitches and Doctor ask me to come back he treated me gave me a big supply of dressings for my stitches(did not charge me of course) I have lost all my weight and started to ask him about Tummy tucks and a body lift he told me he had to be very careful with me and my illness and give it a year to become strong in my body and of course I want everything done overnight and he told me I could find a doctor that would take my money and ignore my illness but he would feel better if I waited. I love the Doctor and would never think of going anywere else.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> Shannan

That is absolutely the cheapest place there is in Mexico to get a band.

One should not depend on price alone, there are many other factors.

Dr. Haucez is still practicing. When people look for price only, they get what they get.

If I were looking for price only I would have gone somewhere else. Yes, Dr. Huacuz is still practicing and thank God he IS! Yes, I got what I got. I got a brilliant surgeon and great doctor! I'll be using him for my plastic surgery after I lose all of my weight. I have only good things to say about him.

WasaBubbleBut, I think she was talking about PugChick, not you????

I seem to have offended someone here and I'm sorry. I did not mean to stomp all over your thread or make anyone upset. I just saw the opportunity to put my two cents in about my doctor. Well, it was just my two cents because I don't think I explained myself well.

Nataliesmommy I'm sorry about your situation. I realize now that everything you said was not about Dr Huacuz. Your intention was just to advise people to be cautious and I can respect that. I wish you a speedy recovery Nataliesmommy.

I seem to have offended someone here and I'm sorry. I did not mean to stomp all over your thread or make anyone upset. I just saw the opportunity to put my two cents in about my doctor. Well, it was just my two cents because I don't think I explained myself well.

Nataliesmommy I'm sorry about your situation. I realize now that everything you said was not about Dr Huacuz. Your intention was just to advise people to be cautious and I can respect that. I wish you a speedy recovery Nataliesmommy.

I'm not sure who you offended (if anyone at all), so I wouldn't worry about it. You should tell your experience - good or bad. And thank you for your well wishes!

Apparently I've offended many people though, and that was not my intentions. Maybe I should have picked better words. I just wish that someone would have told me some of the negative possibilities before my surgery.

Arealsweety, I agree that complications can happen in any surgery room in any country. I would just suggest that people research, research, research the dr/clinic they are looking into. Talk to former patients that have AND haven't had complications.

AND make sure they have the funds to cover the costs of possible complications. I did not. That's why I went to Mexico in the first place - because that's all I could afford.

My original post was a little strong, and I shouldn't have said "DON'T GO TO MEXICO". Just please make sure that if you do, you're much more cautious. There is no legal system to rely on, and you could be on your own if things go bad.

Best of luck to you all! :D

If I were looking for price only I would have gone somewhere else. Yes, Dr. Huacuz is still practicing and thank God he IS! Yes, I got what I got. I got a brilliant surgeon and great doctor! I'll be using him for my plastic surgery after I lose all of my weight. I have only good things to say about him.

Tijuana (as many other towns) are full of "pseudo-surgeons", as plastic surgery is a growing business many people practicing it without the proper training and certification, for any surgeon you might visit, please ask for the following:

-University Diploma in Plastic Surgery.

-Board Certification (this is a diploma and/or ID card that reads "Consejo Mexicano de Cirugia Plastica Estetica y Reconstructiva")

-Government registration (Cedula profesional de especialidad, this is a small ID card or government stamped letter which states that the doctor has been properly registered to practice the specialty).

Please referr to http://www.cirugiaplastica.org.mx/ and/or http://www.isaps.org/ for a comprehensive list of certified surgeons.

Your doc, sadly, has one of the worst reputations in Mexico. I don't know if he has the proper certifications and education for plastics or not, no clue. You may like him, you may have had great success with him. But he has the rep he does for a reason. The better quality surgeons don't EVER go work for Betancourt. Not ever.

I doubt you will follow through with all the above but all we can do is warn people of the bad surgeons. The rest is up to the person.

Arealsweety, I agree that complications can happen in any surgery room in any country. I would just suggest that people research, research, research the dr/clinic they are looking into. Talk to former patients that have AND haven't had complications.

HEY! WE AGREE!!! ;)

Even the best of docs are going to have complications w/their patients. It is a lie to say otherwise. People react to drugs, they mistakenly infect their own wounds since they might not know how to take care of a wound, docs DO screw up, even the best docs. Sometimes it is the doc's fault, sometimes it is the patient's fault, and sometimes crap just happens.

The real key is if the doc picks up on the problem and how he takes care of it.

I was banded by Dr. Daniel Huacuz on October 6, 2006. I do not know where people are getting there information about him not practicing in Tijuana because that is totally not true. I have referred numerous friends and family to have the Lap-Band procedure done and they have all just loved the care that they received at the Huacuz Surgical Center. His staff is very professional and caring. They address any problems that you might have and have always been there for their patients. I am taking two more people in May to have the procedure done by them. I have lost 81 lbs. in 6 months and I feel great. As far as the lady that has had all the problems with having surgery done in Mexico with another doctor, that is an unfortunate thing that has happened to her. However, this could have happened to her in the United States. For instance, several years ago my dad had open heart surgery in Houston, Texas where he lived. Houston has one of the most renouned medical centers in the world. People come from everywhere to have heart surgery there. He contacted staff infection and was very sick from it. It was just something that happens and not anything that the doctor or hospital did. The main thing is that they took care of him until he was well. I feel as a patient of Dr. Huacuz that if I were to have any complications from having surgery that they would address them in a professional manner. If any of you out there are contemplating having Lap-Band Surgery feel free to contact me and I will be more than glad to help you. My only regret was not having it done sooner. I am so thankful that I found Dr. Huacuz and his staff. Thanks, Eureta George emurrell@houston.rr.com

I truly understand your frustration in being able to get the proper aftercare.... I help folks everyday with your same problem... There are good docs and bad docs all over the world... And if it werent for the FDA, Insurance companies, and unjustified malpractice lawsuits... We probably could afford to stay here at home to have the surgery by docs that are qualified to do the procedures...

BTW, I had the same type infection as you.... I also had an erosion in Nov "05 and was debanded in Jan '06 ... The band saved my life and gave me back an incredible chance to live life to the fullest. I feel that all the surgeries have a place in the bariatric community. I know for a fact that there are very good doctors that practice a higher level of sanitation then in the states (in Mexico)...

Aftercare, you should talk to former patients and ask specific questions... Do you receive calls from your coordinator post-op? If not, do they return your calls? Do you feel that you have been dumped at a corner once the surgery was over? What type of communication do you have with your coordinator or member of that team....

Aftercare docs.... Have you already arranged for a doc to do any necessary follow-up... (if none are available were you made aware of how far you would have to travel to receive medical care?)

BTW, before 2002 all banded patients had to travel back and forth to Mexico for fills and follow-up.... So we are kind of privledged because of the "pioneers" that came to Mexico before 2002 and being FDA approved...;)

As far as the lady that has had all the problems with having surgery done in Mexico with another doctor, that is an unfortunate thing that has happened to her. However, this could have happened to her in the United States.

Why do people keep saying that I could've gotten the infection in the United States as well?????

Are they not reading everything before they post? I already know that and I've addressed that SEVERAL times. I guess that's just the easiest throw-back excuse to say to people that have had infections from Mexico.

Sorry, just a bit frustrated.....

And thank you cute-n-luzin! I agree w/ what you said. I appreciate you understanding the point I was trying to get across!

Your doc, sadly, has one of the worst reputations in Mexico. I don't know if he has the proper certifications and education for plastics or not, no clue. You may like him, you may have had great success with him. But he has the rep he does for a reason.

I doubt you will follow through with all the above but all we can do is warn people of the bad surgeons. The rest is up to the person.

You are laboring under the delusion that I have NOT done my research. It is not wise to assume that you have all the information and others have none.

You are laboring under the delusion that I have NOT done my research. It is not wise to assume that you have all the information and others have none.

No, not true. I also wrote the following:

As you can see, I assumed no such thing.

Good luck to you, I wish you the very best.

I'm so sorry you had that experience in Mexico...I went to Mexico this past March (2007) for my lapband placement at the Huacuz Surgical Center & really appreciated their expertise & professionalism. I'm a nurse & researched Dr. Huacuz thoroughly...I even had a serious hiatal hernia that he repaired as well. I think there are good & bad Dr.'s everywhere, but if I had to do it all over again...I'd go to have Dr. Huacuz perform my surgery. The OR room was top notch...the facility was very clean...& the Dr. very experienced in many types of other surgical procedures (besides lapbands & weight loss surgery). He was the most compassionate & caring physican I'd ever met. Now that I'm back in the States...I went to a Weight Loss Center for my follow-up & fills. There was no comparison to the care I received from Dr. Huacuz...I had to ask the Dr. to look at my incisions. He was so eager to get out of the room after approximately 1 minute, but was quick to charge $400 for a consultation. Again, I can't believe what you are going through. Hopefully, the pseudomonas will go away with the antibiotics...I know it's very serious. Hang in there!

Lucille

Bless your heart...I am so sorry to hear of your trouble in Mexico...I pray that your little baby and you are okay....take care...