Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction Question for the Long-Timers

At what point do you think you reached your maximum food capacity post op?

I am 11 months out and still can't eat more than 2-3 ounces of Protein (on a great day) or 3/4 cup of non Protein, and it's either/or not both at the same meal. I'm not complaining at all, but I am curious.

If I eat even two bites of rice with ANYTHING else, I am likely to vomit. If I eat my fill and take even a sip of anything within 20-30 minutes, I am likely to vomit. If I eat a bit of Pasta or bread, I can't eat anything else or BLURP. I don't eat the veggies I should because I want protein too bad and again, I can't eat both. (I am a PETA nightmare, fo' sho.) My only slider is popcorn and I can only eat about 2-3 cups before I'm full.

If I am maxed out now, so be it, but I do wonder if this is my new reality. Compared to other peeps in my friend group who have had WLS, I feel like I'm still a newbie.

I'm 16 months out, and I had a capacity like you mention (but never vomited even once) for the first 5 months or so. Then it increased a little more at about 9 months, and at about 14 months I noticed another increase. I can hold about 8 ounces or a cup of almost anything fairly comfortably, except for dense Protein (meat) which is about 6 oz. I wish it weren't true, but it is. I don't think I stretched my stomach, either. I've been pretty careful. I just think its the way it is. I think I could have eaten more sooner, but I just really watched it.

33 months out here. At about 9 months out, I was at what I am able to eat now.

Last night's meal - chicken bake. chicken breast on top of par boiled macaroni noodles (I have a 9 and 10 year old ...) with cheese and broccoli and asparagus. I ate about 1/4 chicken breast, 1/4 cup mac and 1 and a half asparagus spears. Went to a meeting, came home two hours later and had 2 more fork fulls. Done.

Like MichiganChic, I never vomited once. I had one episode of sliming, but that was at 6 weeks out. Would you say you take time in between bites? Do you chew more than you used to?

@@LipstickLady at 11 months out you should be at capacity. I'm going on 4 years out and I even have a deformed stomach and I can't eat more than 3-4 oz of solid Protein in one meal. Though I can also eat a few bites of veggies and carbs with it.

You're lucky! Don't push it. :)

@@PdxMan, I was a bad slimer. Still do from time to time. No matter how small/slow/well chewed my food, I slime randomly. If I am maxed, great! I just hear of all these people who can eat normal portions, and I can't nor do I want to. I can't even eat "twig lady eats like a bird" portions most days. Again, not complaining, just wondering.

No pushing it here, @@LilMissDiva Irene. If i do, I'm sure to vomit.

You hear of VSG folks being able to eat normal portions? I can't say I have ever read that. I know of folks who had the expectation they would have less capacity, but that arena is an issue in of itself.

So, would you say you have adapted the eat slower, chew more, take more time in between bites, or is this something you are still working on?

Normal for a healthy person not normal American sized portions. :lol:

Yes, I eat slow, chew well, and take my time between bites. I've learned my lesson when I don't over the last year, that's for sure. :huh:

can't eat more than 2-3 ounces of Protein or 3/4 cup of non Protein, it's either/or not both at the same meal. not complaining

@@LipstickLady

welllll.....if you were complaining i'm come over and swat your head!!!! :lol:

some/many/me might envy the fact that you MUST stop eating shortly after you started - but in all seriousness with the complications/problems/life you are dealing with - that isn't fun either :mellow:

might sound weird, but besides the potential or definite problems - are you usually feeling ok???

i gradually worked up to my max tummy capacity at about10 months - now 2+ years

was also lucky not to ever slimed or vomitted (yeach!! :wacko: )

i haven't "trusted" my tummy restriction in a long time

i stop when i can tell i should/need to

i don't measure anymore - but i use my small plate - eat similar foods, and know how much i'm supposed to eat

surgeon told me at the beginning to "eat til i'm full, and stop two bites earlier" :lol:

probably COULD eat more- but eventually i would be back in the same situation as i was pre-op

well, i know thats not true - but i definitely would gain weight, then work hard to take it off

i'm reallly sorry you still have vomitting, slime issues :(

at 11 months, sounds like your food limitation is your new reality

if you feel full after eating that, no prob

i just hope the problems you are dealing with stop sooner than later

i'm sure you've talked to your NUT/doc about this

what do they say???

11 months PO 111 lbs gone???

you are aces

hope things work out for you

take care :)

good luck bud :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I periodically check my restriction with the gulp test - how many gulps of liquid before I feel restriction. One year out (waves to fellow veterans!) and I still can't do more than three. I miss knocking back my pints (of water)

I reached my current capacity around 9-10 months. Some days I can do a little more and some days less. I aim for 2-2.5 oz Protein and some vegetables at every meal. If I don't have anything dense on my plate I can do about a cup. ( 14 months post op)

I can eat a little more as the years go by, but not a lot. I can eat up to 4 oz. of Protein, a very small salad and 1/2 cup of a starch, such as potatoes, quinoa, or Beans. I think it was more than a year before my capacity topped out.

Also, my tolerance for spicy and acidic foods continued past the one year mark. I can eat any acidic food I want. Although I used to love Margaritas and rarely drink them know. I switched to Lemon Drop Martinis.

Lynda

At almost 4 years out, I def have more capacity but in reality not much more IF I eat as I should. What's so weird to me is, 5-6 bites I'm done but I don't WANT to be done and at this timeframe STILL tend to think I can eat more than I can. OLD HABITS DIE HARD! Now junk, lots and lots of sliders but as we all know, That restitution never was there!

I also get hungry about every 3 hours or so now whereas, I could go longer periods early on. I know a lot is mind games. Some days it is a battle of the will over the want!

On another note, anybody see the 5 Bite Dr on Dr. Oz the other day? What are your thoughts?

I am 18 months out and experienced vomitting, sliming and dumping. I hope I am at capacity cause I can eat more than I could 6 months ago. Its nowhere near what I used to eat thankfully but I hope this is it. I get hungry every few hours and have to pick healthy Snacks. If that scale moves on the wrong direction, and it does sometimes, its not a good day lol.

Gina, I don't think it is normal to experience those things. I only had a few incidents of vomiting EVER with the sleeve - when I ate too fast probably in the 3-6 months out window. If you still have sliming, vomiting etc I wonder if you should be checked for problems? Sorry to be a worrywort, but I guess that knowing that a few vets have experienced problems lately makes me think of that.