Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my first consult appt. today, I have some homework as far as getting insurance straightened out, but my Dr gave me info on the pre-op diet. I'm not too worried about soda, I mean I like it, but once it's out of the house, I'll be fine. I'm not a big sweet eater, nor a big snacker. My thing is carbs, pastas, cheeses and white rice. One of my go-to "whatever" meals is a nice big bowl of white rice with broccoli, chicken and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Normally veggies is 1 or 2 of either fresh or frozen corn, fresh or frozen broccoli,fresh potatoes, usually boiled or mashed with butter and milk , canned green Beans, fresh asparagus, frozen peas. If we have potatoes we will still have at least 1 other veggie but mostly 2 others. I normally eat fresh Oranges, pineapple or apples... I don't have a very wide variety of foods I eat. What are some of your go-to tips on the pre-op diet? Especially recipes and meal ideas? I'm not a bean or oatmeal eater unless it come in the form of a bean burrito from taco bell lol Any help would be wonderful :-)

Hi,

I can't give you recipe tips cause I had to show weight loss and how I did it was up to me. I was on weight watchers for a year prior and just kept doing that and watched my points. My actual pre op diet was one day of me not eating and just cleaning out my system.

Still under the ww plan you can eat what you want to but you must watch your points. Others watch calories and some like my friend and I have done in the past watched our carbs (Atkins). I think your key to a successful pre op diet is to not deprive yourself but seriously practice smaller Portion Control. Try using an actual measuring cup to eat your rice with broccoli, chicken and cheese. Measure out 2 oz of low fat cheese and 4 oz of chicken and 1 cup of rice with... ta da! Unlimited broccoli hehe :)

Try working that way (not fun but not depriving either) and make good choices about candies, sweets and other trigger foods and let me tell you why...

After my surgery with a few exceptions it did not take away the 'hunger between my ears'. You will have to adjust. Sure I can't eat nearly as much as before but I noticed I kept some bad habits like wanting to finish my bowl of food or my bag of whatever or my Protein shake etc. You'll be better prepared later if you address this now.

Good luck!

I had my first consult appt. today, I have some homework as far as getting insurance straightened out, but my Dr gave me info on the pre-op diet. I'm not too worried about soda, I mean I like it, but once it's out of the house, I'll be fine. I'm not a big sweet eater, nor a big snacker. My thing is carbs, pastas, cheeses and white rice. One of my go-to "whatever" meals is a nice big bowl of white rice with broccoli, chicken and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Normally veggies is 1 or 2 of either fresh or frozen corn, fresh or frozen broccoli,fresh potatoes, usually boiled or mashed with butter and milk , canned green Beans, fresh asparagus, frozen peas. If we have potatoes we will still have at least 1 other veggie but mostly 2 others. I normally eat fresh Oranges, pineapple or apples... I don't have a very wide variety of foods I eat. What are some of your go-to tips on the pre-op diet? Especially recipes and meal ideas? I'm not a bean or oatmeal eater unless it come in the form of a bean burrito from taco bell lol Any help would be wonderful :-)

I did not have to do a pre-op diet. I am also not on here very often. I actually go to another board that has many members that have had or are going to have the DS. IT is a very active board with DSers. It is bariatricfacts.org and you should also read dsfacts.com

After my initial consultation they gave me a 5 page list of "Do Not Eat" and Phentermine for 60 days as a 1400 calorie/day pre-op diet. Need to lose down to 410 before they'll do surgery. If it was that easy, wouldnt need surgery in the first place! I digress.

You can do a lot of cooking ahead. I cook 14 chicken breasts per week and stick them in a big plastic container in the fridge.

1 gets eaten with 2 fried eggs and an apple in the morning.

One gets cut into bitesize pieces and tossed onto a bed of kale with 1tbsp olive oil. That's nuked at work. I get a bag of pre chopped kale at the grocery store, it wilts down well in a microwave. Replace Kale with a couple servings of any vegetable you like. Garlic salt had become my new friend.

dinner is usually stir fry vegetables: Snow peas, broccoli, mushroom, zucchini, carrot, 1tbsp sesame oil, 1tbsp oyster sauce, 1tbsp low sodium soy sauce 1tbsp garlic, 1tbsp ginger (easy on this if youre not used to it! Maybe 1tsp). Sometimes i'll put meat in it, sometimes I wont. Most of those vegetables are pre-sliced or stir fry ready, though i cut the broccoli myself (cheaper) and the zucchini. All of my vegetables for the week are pre-cut on sunday when I prep everything else for the week.

Light string cheese (sometimes), beef Jerky, raw snow peas with a serving of hummus, baby carrots and a LOT of Water are my between meal Snacks.

If I'm hungry I've learned to think "am i just bored?" If i am, i go for a walk. If I'm not, I drink Water and wait half an hour.

I walk on both of my breaks at work M-F then Saturday & Sunday I walk 1.25 miles.

My results so far are 12 pounds lost in 4 weeks, and a LOT of pain from the walking. My legs hurt pretty much constantly and now my arms are starting up. I dont take any pain med, the doctor's office told me not to take it. The only medicines I have taken are Imitrex when needed, multi-Vitamins, B12, and Phentermine.

It's not cheap to eat like that where I live in California. The meat alone is $25/week. Veggies are decently priced and plentiful. I cook for a household of 4, 2 of which are diabetic, one normal, and myself.

Easter I had 3oz ham, then filled up on salad and asparagus.

I was raised in a family where food was everything. Happy? Food! Sad? Food! Holiday? FOOD! Funeral? Food! Not hungry? Food! So I'm using the pre-op diet time to fight the food = fun/pleasure thought process. It's very very very freaking hard. Deleted my pinterest boards related to food. Left my cooking message board. My friends, thankfully, understand and dont suggest eating out all of the time anymore. They ask me to come on walks, or i ask them. I havent joined a gym, I have workout equipment at my home. Even if I want to scream and say no, I'm exhausted, no more! I walk.

Sorry that was long and creepy I guess. If you want recipes, I can write some. I think the whole point of the diet is to change your brain to think food is boring and for nutrition only, and to prepare you for your upcoming lifestyle.

If I had it to do over again, my pre diet for the DS would be to count Protein (striving for 90-120 grams) and 64 oz of Water, go gluten free, and wean off sweeteners. I had a preconceived notion that all I needed to do was Atkins after the DS. While this is somewhat true, I found I spent a lot of time figuring out how many grams of Protein was in everything I ate, having caffeine withdrawals, and having super sensitive taste buds that made everything taste sickening sweet. I would have certainly lost weight, been protein loaded for surgery, and been better prepared for recovery and what 120 grams of protein looked like.

Everyone is different though, you need to think about your situation and what your demons are. I'm not a binge eater, but for someone who is, then Portion Control and measuring would benefit you. If your thing is carbs...which is mine...then Proteins are your thing to work on. If you have a sweet tooth, then finding alternatives that are healthy - things made only with stevia, honey, or maple Syrup might help slow down your consumption and make you expend effort for a treat.

Sorry to take your question in a little different direction! :)