Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb or not....

I do 800 calories with around 40 grams of carbs. I'm 2.5 months out. I've lost 55 lbs (since I started the process). For me, I go for real foods not low fat (like mayo). I will eat whole wheat crackers with cheeses.

I've become much pickier about what I eat. I watch for hidden carbs in processed foods. If I'm going to have the carbs, I want the real deal.

Im 6 months post op and have lost 97 so far. Im 29 away from goal.

That said, for the first 3 months I stuck to low carb, but just because I wanted to maximize the honeymoon phase of that jump out of the gate. I would try to keep carbs below 40..but...then month 4 hit.

I needed to add in healthy fats..but didnt know it. So I really struggled for a few weeks until someone on myfitness pal pointed me their way. Once I added in the full fat stuff and other healthy fats, I was finally able to go long periods between meals and feel totally fine.

Now, I eat the full fat cheeses and Greek yogurts. I have a little Protein granola, nuts, avocado.

Each of my meals has a healthy fat as half of the meal. The fact that I can now go 4-5 hours between meals is key to my weight loss at this point, combined with the healthy fat stuff.

Low carb may work great for the beginning but eventually the body gets used to it and needs a change to resume the loss.

Four and a half months and 80lbs out. I have been experimenting in adding a bit more carbs...raising from 20-30g to 60-70g because I have been doing a lot of running, adding yoga to my weeks and prepping for a race. Mostly adding fruit and oatmeal. I have def seen a difference in weight loss. Better w/o the added carbs.

That's an impressive amount of weight loss! Do you mind me asking what your height and starting weight was?! Keep up the great work with the exercise!!!

Thanks! I am 5'6" or 5'7" depending on who measures =P starting weight 271

I do lower carb not exactly low carb. In incorporate fruits, vegetables, sweet potatoes and Beans. I avoid breads, rice, Pasta etc.

My surgeon did mention that things like cream of wheat and oatmeal could be rough on your stomach because they expand in the gut. I would definitely talk to you doctor and see what they think is best.

I have eaten too many carbs lately... I need to re-focus...

I haven't thought about carbs at all. I'm still trying to get all my Protein in...80 grams. By the time I eat my protein I'm full! I'm wondering when I will have enough room for extras......I imagine it won't be for a while.

I'm one month out and my nutritionist does not want me to count carbs or calories, just focus on getting the proper amount of Protein and Water. But when I asked her about carbs she did say women need a minimum of 130 grams of carbs a day.

But when I asked her about carbs she did say women need a minimum of 130 grams of carbs a day.

That's really interesting and a little unusual. I am looking forward to watching your progress. So many different plans out there, it's fascinating. Please continue to post.

Yeah....when I was dieting the general rule of thumb was 130 grams carbs because that is what it takes for normal brain function. But I was expected to get them in fruits and veggies. Harder to do that when you are sleeved. I mentioned before that I'm not expected to count them ( like I have room for them to begin with) but I am early in my journey.

I lost the first 100-110 or so on a "moderate carb" approach. It gets harder the closer to goal so I lost that last 50-60 pretty low carb and that is where I am maintaining too.

Now that I am in maintenance, I definately have exceptions to my low carbs days, but overall it is my "lifestyle" now. For me, it works.

I told myself wanted to keep my carb count <30 everyday but it's usually under 20. Dense Protein first and I don't have room for much else.

Blondiee, how long have you been on this journey? I too don't have any room after my protein!

I generally try to stay under 100 carbs a day. I know that I am not losing as quickly as others, but it is only in this crazy world of WLS that a pound a week is slow.

I work out and I want to make sure that I have enough energy. I think we all have a tendency to completely lose our minds and my main focus has always been "What will be sustainable long term, but get me to my goal?"

That said, I would say it's more that I don't shy away from all carbohydrates, than that I indulge in sliders.

I am 14 months out and have lost 120 lbs and still losing very slowly now. I am close to goal. I am moderate carb. In fact I don't count them. I only focus on Protein. Minimum of 60 and work to keep sugar carbs 30 or less. But I have Greek yogurt everyday with fruit so if sugar carb stays under 45 I am real happy. I just looked at MFP and my carbs are usually 100-150 total a day. My diet is sort of zone like 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. Sometimes the fat is over 40%. It just works out that way. I don't plan it. I just avoid starchy carbs. I eat a lot of chilis, so Beans and Tomato carbs, and Greek yogurt so I get those carbs too. I also got up to 1300 cals by 4 months out. It has worked real well for me. I lost very steadily and did not stall till month 10 when I got close to onederland. I think minimizing sugar carbs is the key. When I start eating sugar like holidays weight just goes in wrong direction. So then I get back on low sugar plan and it comes back off.