Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone tried the Quest bars?

I am almost at the phase of my diet where i can have the Protein bars. I have heard that the Quest Bars are good but I'm afraid to try them as they are pricey. I'd only use them if I was going to be out and about or after excercising. I can no longer stop anywhere to get something to eat if I'm out as there are no good choices in fast food for me anymore. Any other suggestions to curb hunger when you are going to be out for a long time? my Nutr. also reccomended to carry string cheese and eat that instead of the Quest Bars..... any thoughts??

At any given time, I'll have the following in my purse: Quest bars, cashews or almonds, raisins, beef Jerky.

Love Quest bars.

I love the Quest Bars. A lot. They're kind of thick and some people aren't crazy about them. But I like them. The raspberry white chocolate is my favorite. I also love the Power Crunch bars. They are so delicious!!!

A couple of things to keep in mind with Protein bars:

• Remember to keep the Protein high and carbs low. If you look at other Protein Bars, the carbs can be more than twice the protein grams. That's a no-no. Power Crunch and Quest have the highest concentration of protein and lowest concentration of carbs of any I have found.
  • Don't have more than 1/day. They're yummy so it's easy to look at them as candy bars. They're not.
  • Eat them slowly. The slower you eat, the more full you get. The more full you get, the less "hunger" you have. The less hunger you have, the less you eat overall.

Quest bars are too high in carbs for me after surgery, so I don't eat them. Also (and more importantly) I discovered pre-surgery that they are a trigger food for me. If I have access to them, I WILL eat them. Until they are gone. For me they are basically glorified candy bars. So, they are not a part of my life and I doubt they ever will be. Lots of people do just fine with them though.

I know a lot of people like them, but I think Quest bars are nasty. You can try them at GNC without buying a whole box, see if you like it. If I am going to have a Protein bar, I prefer a lower carb bar, but truly, I rarely eat Protein Bars. I do keep a couple stashed in my drawer at work for emergencies when I can't get lunch or dinner, but they sit there for months. I don't have a brand that I actually like.

the ones i have tried were disgusting!!! but after surgery they say your tastes change so Im hoping they will be good then good luck GNC has a buy 2 get one free or buy three get one free on Quest bars one of those kind of deals

Im 6 months out and love them. I usually get chocolate chip cookie dough, white chocolate raspberry, Cookies n cream, or double chocolate chunk.

People complain about the carbs...what some fail to realize is out of the 21 grams carbs is 17 grams of Fiber. You subtract the Fiber from carbs, leaving you with just a few active carbs.

The fat...they do have fat in them.

But our bodies get to a certain point where its been low carb for so long that the body won't let go of anymore weight. Thats where adding in healthy fats and some carbs come into play. Our bodies need both in order to function.

They can be sliders for some people tho, and eating too many supplemental Protein products will mess up your blood levels at your surgery check up. It did mine, and I was told to eat more food by the dr and surgeon to bring a few things back up to acceptable levels.

My favorites are the apple pie and the Cookies n cream.

omg I thought I found heaven when I tried the apple pie....and then the Cookies n cream came out and now that's my fave.

I don't have them every day. But when I do --- I'm a happy camper. Worth the price for an occasional treat!

Quest bars are a staple in my diet - I eat them for at least 2 of my 4 meals each day, and sometimes 3 meals. I've tried most of the flavors, and my faves are vanilla Almond (that's Breakfast each day) and Cookies and Cream (4 PM each day). Others that I eat sometimes are Choc Chip Cookie Dough, White chocolate Raspberry and Coconut Cashew.

There are several that I found just so-so, as in not bad but not good enough to buy again. Then there were a few that I really did not like.

The consistency is not like most protien bars - Quest bars are more like a cookie dough consistency, and they're not dipped in anything so they are just a bit sticky to the touch. Not a problem to me at all, but it is different than other bars.

For me 1 bar is a full and satisfying meal, and I think $2.75 for a meal is not pricey. Where else can you get a nutritious, yummy, satisfying meal for that price? And they're convenient to carry, too.

I'm with gomekast about the carbs in them - there are only 3gms NET carbs per bar.

As for fast food... There are some good choices at fast food places, but fighting the temptation of the not-so-good choices may not be worth it.

@@Mrs.RRn Thanks for the response... I only plan to use them when I'm on the road and will be away from home to make a healthy meal. I am not worried about eating too many of them like one person said. I get filled up very easily so I couldn't over indulge if I wanted to without making myself sick. I just don't want to be feeling hungry when i'm away from home at meal time. When I am allowed nuts, I will carry them as well for a quick fix to keep me from eating something I'm not supposed to. I think plannind is a key factor in success with any diet program. I thought of getting a cooler bag to carry with me when i go out and keep some mozarella sticks, Quest bars and some nuts and maybe a bottle of Water while I am on the go.

Thanks to all for the responses to this. I know GNC has individual Quest Bars so I can try the different flavors. I probably won't eat more than one a day. It's just to use while I'm on the go. At home I rather eat a meal. I won't over do the bars because my stomach won't let me. My stomach is of course not like it was before when I could have maybe eaten two bars in a sitting..... I bet i can barely finish one now. The mozarella stick is even hard to finish for me..... :)

@gomekast I'm trusting your judgement as obviously whatever you're doing is working well.... so i won't be afraid to have a Quest bar now and then.... no more than one a day for sure.... I can't over eat anymore to save my life..... Wait a minute... I AM saving my life by doing the opposite :) :D Thanks to the sleeve, I can't overeat anymore and I certainly am not going to try to test my limits.... it's a great thing.

@Momonanomo I am definitely going to try the Cookies and creme bar.... I hear good things about that one. did you try the chocolate Peanut Butter one? I haven't tasted any of them but i read reviews... :)

@JeanZ_RN it really IS a good deal for a meal..... and I stay away from any fast food place. I'd rather carry the Quest bar with me for those times when I'm out and missing a meal.... Thanks. Obviously it's working for you..... you've done great with your weight loss so far. :)

@JeanZ_RN I was told never to eat anything with coconut in it again as it's hard to digest for us sleevers...... I am assuming that there is not much real coconut in that bar???