Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No carbonation ever again?

I drink carbonated drinks sparingly. Only because of the gas it gives me. Painful gas. I will have a seltzer Water or a beer on occasion but for the most part I stay away because of the gas. (I'm a year out).

I'm about 4 months out. I still drink carbonation every once in a while. Usually it's in the form of a sip or two of my fiancé's drink. Drinking too much of it leads to pain in my shoulder.

Alcohol - usually have a glass at night. It's empty wasted calories so that has slowed my progress down but it's enjoyable experience and doesn't make me feel like I'm on a restricted diet. I hardly drink beer now. Between the higher calorie content and the carbonation it's just not worth it for me.

Having to give up my beloved Diet Coke was a major concern of mine before the surgery. It actually violated two rules - no caffeine and no carbonation. I was not sure I could do it, but I was committed to try. Funny thing - I am 4 months out and I don't even miss Diet Coke. I would not have one today even if they told me it was okay. I just don't want it anymore. I never drank Water before, but I have found that a little Mio or other flavoring in Water totally satisfies me and is so much healthier. I think the caffeine had me on a roller coaster that made it difficult to rest well and night and then I needed the caffeine to come out of the fog the next morning. I feel so much better all day now that I would not even think of going back.

I agree with the above...all of them LOL :P

I haven't touched carbonated beverages since my surgery, I don't miss them at all, and I was a 2 liter (minimum) a day Diet Coke drinker...when I gave it up for my liquid diet, I never looked back, and I don't regret giving it up...don't miss it at all. ;) I really thought that would be a hard habit to break...

At the Success Habits workshop that we had to attend prior to surgery, Nisa put a balloon over the top of a bottle of coke, and it filled with gas, without any help...she said she left it on her desk one time to see how long it would stay filled...she said it stayed for 3 days before she dumped it...3 days of AIR in your tummy!!! NO THANKS. Decaf iced tea for me, or Torani syrups added ...

As for alcoholic beverages, was never a big drinker, so I don't miss that AT ALL...empty calories and carbs.... :wacko:

but as stated, I will never say never...who knows what tomorrow may bring... you just have to live in the moment! :blink:

Edited by BigGirlPanties

I am not a soda drinker, never have been. I do, however, enjoy an occasional ginger ale or tangerine flavored sparkling Water. I have had both since surgery, but only a few sips and then I put it away.

Surgery 9/21/13 lost 70lbs I drink beer and have Starbucks mocha coffee everyday and feel fine. I don't drink soda at all. Beer 3 bottles and feel fine. I drink beer maybe once a week. Used to drink a 6 pack but 3 is the max now .

How long were you post op before you tried a beer?

How long were you post op before you tried a beer?

About 6 months

@bozo511@hotmail.com I believe the "no straw" rule is because it adds air to your pouch, problem, for me, is that the ice or a cold drink bothers my teeth (sensitivity)...so in order to drink, I need a straw... so I admit, as stated previously, we are all different and we have to find what works for us... in order to keep my liquids up, I have to put a straw in... probably at my next NUT visit I should discuss that...hmmm...food for thought!

Edited by BigGirlPanties

And BigGirlPanties... food for thought doesn't have carbs, Protein OR fat!!! :)

@Ginger Snaps lol...actually I thought about that after I posted..."food for thought is always a 'free" food" :)