Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No carbonation ever again?

No carbonation for me either- I gave up that notion a while ago, I was addicted to diet coke and I weaned myself off during my pre-surgery diet. I haven't had it since. I drink Water & tea.

<p>I don't have a problem with diet soda for the most part. My doctor said just to make sure it's poured over ice and let it sit for at least 5 minutes. I mainly drink Water and unsweet tea but when I have a craving for a diet coke I will have one. Sometimes I do get gas pains but it's totally worth it to me :) I also haven't had issues with alcohol but I very rarely drink it now because it's full of empty calories.</p>

How long have you been post op?!

pretty much my NUT and surgeon say no carbonated beverages-I gave them up 4 months before surgery because I loved my diet dr pepper. I drink with a straw-I have some mild facial paralysis from a prior brain surgery and it keeps me from dribbling liquid out of that side of my mouth. I drank coffee my first week but stopped, not because of the coffee but because the milk and 1/2 and 1/2 made me nauseated-now I drink a cup or two a day...everything in moderation for me except carbonation...and alcohol-just don't want to go there yet :)

I was a band patient before my revision to the sleeve for 3 1/2 yrs so I got kinda used to the no soda rule a long time ago. I confess that when we go out to eat, my hubby orders a diet Coke and I will have a sip. Maybe one a week I have a sip. This is probly the only rule I don't usually break. I guess I'm a little scared of what could happen. My dr said the bubbles can stretch my tummy. Not sure if thats true but I picture my tummy exploding from the carbonation so that usually keeps me on the straight and narrow.

Before wls, I enjoyed a diet soda about 4-5x a week, so not a huge drinker but I like soda with burgers and pizza. Occasionally I miss it but the 1 sip a week is fine with me.

About the alcohol: I'm 9 mths out and drink a glass of wine almost everynite. I do miss my Corona Lite but the wine is fine. I calculate the 110 calories into my daily intake. My dr said a limited amt of alcohol (as long as it's not carbonated) is fine after 8 weeks (when I could start a regular diet).

Good luck! It's really not that bad!

I have to agree with most of the post on here... NEVER.. well that is up to you... I feel like the Doctors give us the "road map" and its up to us if we want to be successful and follow it... I am 4 mos post op - i have not had any alcohol or carbonation since a month before my surgery. Once in a while i miss it, but i dont give in because i look at how far i have come & what it took to get here, that sip or drink isnt worth it. Now maybe in a few months when i hit my goal weight i might feel differently... but that will be up to me and not my doctor...
I think you just have to think about what is important to you and do what you think is right... it might not be what everyone else is doing but its up to you... this new tummy is only a tool and its up to us to use it :)
good luck to you!!!

I gave up soda and honestly I don't even want them anymore.

I do have an occasional glass of champagne, but I sip it slowly and it lasts an hour. I guess it isn't as carbonated as some drinks.

Tried a sip of beer twice and the carbonation was very unpleasant so I will continue to avoid it. Beer is very carb-heavy, too, so another reason to skip it.

I am a huge fan of Chick-Fil-A diet lemonade. Lemon juice, Water and Splenda :)

I don't mind that word 'never'. If it's not healthy for me I think I can say never to that. I can say 'never' to being this weight again. I never want to abuse my health the way I have lately. I never want to give up on teaching for happiness and health. Those are some good me vets!

I'll chime in with my experience :

I've had some sips of carbonated beverages here and there since surgery with no discomfort. I loved beer and sodas (and champagne!) before surgery.

It honestly no longer appeals to me, and I'm cool with that. Actually, I'm very happy about that! Carbonation just doesn't do for me what I now believe a beverage is meant to do: quench my thirst and keep me hydrated.

I sure wish I had similarly lost the desire for sugar and mexican food :/

drat

My surgeon also says no carbonation forever because it stretches the pouch. I don't care about soda, but I'm kind of bummed that a beer won't be on my options. Although they contain much less carbonation than soda. But if I have to trade carbonation for ending my battle with weight, then I don't really care that much. I'll do it. I would just take one day at a time. Who knows what the future holds. Forever is too long to worry about!

I too hate the word never. I was also told no carbonation or straws ever and it bugs me. Not that I use straws often only when I am at a restaurant and after surgery that won't matter because no drinking while eating.

I only have them once or twice a month but I love good microbrewed beers. I also like carbonated Water. I am going to miss them.

I applaud that you are asking questions in advance to get more information. Like most Drs. lists, mine says "Make smart choices". My Dr's list also says avoid soda, beer and other alcoholic beverages along with gum and straws. In discussion, he really wants patients to avoid carbonation. Good thing for me, I enjoy a good whiskey ????. At 5 weeks out, I have no desire for carbonation or alcohol, and trust me, I to had that heavy addiction to Diet Mountain Dew all day long and more than an occasional beer in the evenings. I always had a tin of gum in my purse and variety in my desk drawer at work. Those are gone now replaced by breath strips, spray and tictacs.

I will have to judge in the future how to live my life in moderation, which I've proven in the past is quite difficult for me. I started on this path with my new teeny tiny tummy with the goal to be above average with my weight loss and retention of that loss for the long-term. If that means no more beer or Mountain Dew for me? Well then so be it. I choose to do without and excel in my goals.

NEVER is a good word as in... "I will NEVER be overweight again!" or as in "I will NEVER neglect my health again!"

Of course pre op for me it was PEPSI MAX! Whoo hoo! Man at my weight watchers meeting the leader confessed to drinking one two liter bottle of soda in a day. My at work ww meeting was mainly women and they all gasped at her confession. I started to chuckle and one coworker thinking me mean or cruel asked me what was so funny and I replied "Only one two liter bottle of soda in a day? On a weekend I've finished my first two liter bottle by 2 pm!" Most of the ladies laughed at that but it's all relative.

I use to drink two liters of soda a night and 2-3 bottles (4-6 liters) on weekends. Now 5 weeks post op I just don't have a craving for it. Also all those vitiman waters, gatorades, sweet teas, juices etc. all leave me with a chalky feeling inside my cheeks so usually it's just Water for me now and it feels great drinking it.

FYI in case anyone else can't stomach some of the flavored drinks I just found this week that Lipton diet green tea seems to be like Water, no chalk :)

/cosign

Enlighten me

@@Loristi

Sounds like you are pre-op???

saying on the board - "one thing we have in common is that we're all different" :)

docs and NUTS have different rules about things

some of "them" say no coffee - "never, ever" :o

others say after a certain time period you can have alittle coffee

some say no alcohol for 6 months

others say.............

wait 6 months, 6 weeks, 6 days, 6 minutes etc - ;) ..

soda - some/many say NO, NO, NO

others say .................

no straws, others say its ok

sex - some might say wait til you feel ok, then take it slowly, easy for awhile (no crazy acrobats!) ;)

other docs might say NO NO NO to sex forever!!!! :o

gotcha!!!! :lol:

so..........the answer to your question (oh no, what was your question again :wacko: LOL)

alcohol - soda - never say never!!!! unless doc says so

i drink coffee, no alcohol, straws or soda/carbonation for this grammy ;)

listen to your NUT and surgeon ALWAYS like they were amongst the highest power!!! ;)

good luck with surgery

kathy

Im a former diet coke addict, and i remember my NUT telling us there was one lightly carbonated drink we could have. I couldnt remember what it was called so i emailed her. Her response.."get off the coke and try ICE!" Cracked me up...ICE ia lightly carbonated Fruit Drinks. Sams club carries them, and its a nice treat now and then. Still miss my diet coke 7 months post op:-(

Well I'm 3 months out and I drink alcohol occasionally. I also had a vodka tonic because I didn't realize that's what it was. I thought my cousin was handing me Water at the club on Saint Pat's... I should have known. Lol. I'm okay with the idea of not having carbonation ever again but alcohol I do love and need occasionally. Everything in moderation