Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone downstate? L.I.?

I was banded by Dr. Alan Geiss at Syosset Hospital. He is exclusive to Lap Band as far as Bariatric surgeries go (I think he's done over 1,500 at this point) so I don't think you will find and other support better then his and Dr. Powers.

Hi all!

I was banded by Dr. Vohra, Hewlett. I fought my insurance company from September 06 until January 07. I finally won and had the surgery 3 days after AETNA granted my approval. My BMI was under 39 and I had NO CO_MORBIDITIES. My insurance company denied me 5 DAYS before my first scheduled op date in September. I hired an attorney (crappy one) and then wrote letters on my own, had a telephone conference call with an AETNA doctor, nurse, supervisor and PA. I pled my case (emotionally) and was approved days later. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Don't give up. Dr. Vohra is an excellent surgeon, but his office is run like a 3-ring circus.

Wow Amy, Congratulations and Good work!!! I am impressed that the Aetne had a heart and considered your plea...keep us posted on your progress. How are you feeling? I bet your felt relieved finallly!

I have CIGNA and they won't even talk tunless you've had a 6 mo supervised doc controlled diet and need 40 bmi. I hate to sound arrogant but I probably know more about nutrition, diet and exercise than just about anyone and I just can't pay close to a thousand dollars to hear another new theory or the same old same old. I'm going to accept being fat or work on at least not getting morbidly obese. Way to go!

I have BCBS.. they too required 6 month supervised diet... (Which, by the way FLEW by)... As long as you check in with the doc (your primary physician is fine) once a month... they consider that a supervised diet.... Maybe Cigna is different though. BCBS let me do weightwatchers, and check in with my surgeon once a month.

Good Luck!!

Thanks Sw~ I didn't think to check with CIGNA regarding going to my regular doc~ as much as the center "HealthBridge" seemed like such a good idea ...it really was another money sceme. They are unprofessional and charge a huge amount of money for common sense in the long run. The biggest obsticle tho is they are located so far. Thank again for the good tip...I'm talking to my reg. doc today.

Hi there, I just started w/Dr. Ahmad, in PJ.

I live less then a mile from his office :confused: My primary Dr told me the band would be a good option. I have always battled with my weight.

It is so nice to meet people who understand. So many people think "just stop eatting" well, its just not that easy. You can't escape food and you need it to live. Drugs and drinking you can do without, but not food. People have more sympathy and give more support to people in rehab, but look down on those getting banded or bypass....

Anyway, for years I have been on the fence about getting banded but then finally decided to really look into it. So after going to a presentation, I decided to go for it. By pass I never even considered--- in my opinion, there is way too much risk. Banding has risks, but I think it is safer overall.

So, I had my one-on-one with the Dr about 2 weeks ago. I was really shocked (and pleased) at how awesome the Dr and the staff are (one of the secretaries has been banded too) and even his wife works with him. Just about everything I will need is at or within 2-3 miles of his office.

I can't believe the "laundry list" of things to do in preparation for the procedure. But I am so glad for it because it really is very intensive and he makes very sure that your mind and body are as healthy as possible before operating. Can't beat that!

For me the band is like getting a new lease on life. I will start over, and learn how to eat. I want to eat to live-- not live to eat!

I was told that the first thing insurance will want is the Psych eval and the nutritionist's comments, along with the forms I filled out for the Doc. So I planned all my other appts for after these two visits. Then, once I get the approval from BC/BS (he thinks I will because they approve easy he said) I will go to the other appointments I have already made. I figured no sense going through it all if I won't get approved. My paperwork is submitted so I am waiting........ for approval right now......

There are about 8 or so appointments in total that are required, and each Dr booked me really fast for them.

Overall, from the my first visit to the last Dr appointment I am required to have, the process is less then 2 months--- but the hang up is waiting for the insurance company to approve.

But that is ok- because I am traveling a lot over the summer and do not want my surgery to interfere with it anyway. I have 3 family vacations that we are going on (one is a cruise!) and I want to enjoy whatever I want to eat!! Afterall, it will be the last time that I will binge like that ever again. I'm going out with a bang!! LOL.

So if all goes well, I plan to have the surgery in Sept or Oct of this year. I will be ready to be the "new me" by then. It is a life changing event :eek:

*I was told I have a 3 or 4 month window that I can have the surgery done in, after all those Dr visits I will have had. I'm so excited!!!

Any others seeing or been to the good Doc?

hi, dr ahmad is doing my surgery on monday 6/4. i also live in PJ and am impressed with him and the whole staff

I live in Port Washington, bordering Manhasset -- and still chose to go to Dr. Ren at NYU. I wouldn't have had it any other way (and luckily didn't have to test that out), and cannot recommend her enough. Her husband, Dr. Fielding, is equally excellent from what I've heard, and himself is a lap band patient.