Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone downstate? L.I.?

Hi NYers:

Haven't gotten the proceedure yet but I am in the seriously thinking and making appointment stage. Anyone out there at this stage? I haven't met with a doctor yet regarding the Lap Band. I am so fearful I will be turned away as my BMI is only 35 without complications. It's so funny that I have to be sick to be treated with this preventative proceedure that will prolong my life and keep me well!! I wonder if they would consider my twin sister who died in her sleep last year at age 37 of morbid obesity complications?:think

Any thoughts any one?

Marg

Hello,

This is first official post. I haven't got the lapband as of yet, but I/m in the consultation stages. I am seen by Dr. Holover of the located in NEw Hyde Park NY

Dr. Alan Geiss @ Syosset Hospital. He's THE BEST.

I'm jumping through all the insurance hoops right now and hope to be banded by August.

I'm on the south shore of Long Island. :rolleyes:

Hi there, I live in Huntington, New York and have a consultation with Dr. Geiss in Syosett as well. With my insurance, I will need to be on a 6 month doctor supervised diet before being approved.

Who do you have for insurance? I am about to switch to GHI. I'm working on the 6 month diet right now. (my BC/BS plan has an exclusion)

Get that started with your PCP right away!! I started mine 2 months before my consult w/ Dr Geiss because his office warned me GHI would ask for it.

You'll love Dr Giess's staff!!! Have you been to the monthly meeting they have at the Ritz club yet?

[i'm in Patchogue]

Hi Candle:

I have Cigna Insurance and Dr. Geiss' office was nice enough to refer me to HealthBridge in Syosset near the Hospital. I have an appointment with a Dr. Edelman. He has been written up in the media and on new programs for being the first to offer a program for the overweight & obese that tackles the problem from all angles...nutrition, physchological, excercise,etc...it sould be interesting. I would be shocked if they told me something I didn't know as I've been trying to lose weight deligently with diet and exercise for 10 yrs since my last pregnancy...and of course the same old down 20 up 25 down 25 up 30 ...you konw the deal I know. My BMI is on the lower side and I am not on meds but I feel if I have this 6 months under my belt it's like insurance for when I do go on meds...if at all. Best case sceniaro this place works and I don't need the lap band...but I'm not getting my hopes up ....again. Where are you going for your DSD?

HI, I am in stonybrook and going to dr. amhad in port jeff. have you heard of him? I have all my consults completed and am waiting on insurance verification.

hi marg,

dr christine Ren in NYC is one of the best doctors for lapband in the country. she was part of the original FDA trials. shes honest and straight forward explaining the good, bad and ugly.

i investigated her when i lived in NY. i have a few friends that have been very successful with her.

i decided against it because i just wasnt plain ready back then.

not sure if you want to travel to the city....but in case you do

Hi Josie B from Katy TX! What a cute name! Thank you for the recommendation, I am going to look into Dr. Ren ..thank you! I have a doctor that is only 30 minutes away but I should look into all my options and she will be the first one I look into in the city...thanks so much. BTW, how are you doing? Looks like you are steadily moving along...in the healthy direction. Do you feel better already? I look forward to one day jumping out of bed without this heavy body following me from behind! :-) May I ask if insurance covered you? I am grovelling with the decision now to self pay or wait another year, try my insurance company and possible get turned down. I have a 36 BMI and not on meds ...for now.

dr christine Ren in NYC is one of the best doctors for lapband in the country. she was part of the original FDA trials. shes honest and straight forward explaining the good, bad and ugly.

i investigated her when i lived in NY. i have a few friends that have been very successful with her.

i decided against it because i just wasnt plain ready back then.

not sure if you want to travel to the city....but in case you do

weight.png

270/249/229/150 Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal

Dr. Spivak-Houston

Surgery 3/30/07

rolleyes.gif JosieB from Katy, TX

http://www.thebuddhadharma.com/index.html

HI sooverit! I was banded 4/11 and used the fabulous Dr David Mayer in Huntington! He works from Syosset Hospital (great bariatric unit). His office is in Southdown. His office staff (kim) is soooo on top of everything. I have had a very smooth experience so far. Glowing reviews. PM me if you need his phone number, etc.

Hi,

Can you post a little more about Dr. David Mayer? I've never heard of him and I am involved in a few Lap Band Groups. How many bands has he done? He does his surgeries in Syosset but he's out of Huntington? I'm surprised because I thought my doctor, Dr. Geiss and his partner Dr. Powers were the only ones doing Lap Bands in Syosset Hospital.

Thanks

Chris

Hi,

Can you post a little more about Dr. David Mayer? I've never heard of him and I am involved in a few Lap Band Groups. How many bands has he done? He does his surgeries in Syosset but he's out of Huntington? I'm surprised because I thought my doctor, Dr. Geiss and his partner Dr. Powers were the only ones doing Lap Bands in Syosset Hospital.

Thanks

Chris

Dr. Mayer was the head of emergency surgery at Huntington Hospital for years. He has a minimally invasive surgical office in Southdown (lloyd Harbor/Huntington area). He began doing the Lap Band in early 2005. I met with after meeting with Dr. Garber as well as few other Drs. They were all very nice and informative but Dr. Mayer won me over.

My sister had her Lap with Dr. Ren and had some complictations...they took good care of her but the strain getting to NYU Medical each time was tiresome. She met with Dr. Mayer at my first consult as well and he has been doing her fills and follow up ever since.

I like the idea of having my Dr. within 7 minutes of my home. He does work out of Syosset (he is quite proud of this, very complimentary of Dr. Geiss/Powers and his "fellows" at Syosset). Kim is his right hand woman and has been the BEST. She handled my insurance like a PRO and had me approved in 2 days! They are very schedule-accomodating and I really liked the referred Dr's they suggested for all my prelim work.

I couldn't be happier and feel fantastic.

Wow, I sound like a paid endorsement!

Let me know if you have any other questions and GOOD LUCK!

'