Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please explain pre-op diet

what is your pre op diet? veggies, Fiber and lots of Water will help you keep full, but what are you allowed?

I'm suppose to have a Protein shake for Breakfast and lunch, then a lean meat and vegetable for supper. I can also have two servings of fresh or frozen fruit a day. I can have up to two cups of sugar free Jello, SF Popsicles, milk, and sherbet. And of course at least 64 oz of Water a day.

I'm going to spread it out tomorrow and see if I can curb this hunger enough to keep from bingeing on things that are available. I've just started it a couple of days ago. The first day was ok then yesterday and today I've let myself get hypoglycemic I think.

Edited by beeteroo

Thanks! I'm in Houston and we have Whole Foods everywhere. I hadn't even thought of them. I just needed some thoughts on alternatives to these drinks. I am involved in a bunch of conferences this week and I don't think people would appreciate the shaker in the middle of a talk.

Mix your shakes ahead of time. ;-)

Try Tera's whey that is organic and comes in different flavors. Whole Foods has it and you can get it on Amazon. It isn't gritty like some and sweetened with Stevia.

i had no pre op diet. one day before surgery, i was allowed fluids only. after 12am, nothing by mouth. that was it. it all depends on your doc, your BMI, your blood work. and you can do an "all natural" liquid diet. Jello is always optional. ;)[/QUOT

How did your surgery go? I'd love to hear! I'm on this 2 week liquid diet it sucks but I'm not hungry anymore which is good I guess.

I'm so disturbed by my inability to follow the Preop diet. I can't believe it but I just ate a hot dog! A hot dog!!! It's been years since I've had a hot dog. I don't even really like them that much. Weird. I'm quite disgusted with myself. I have 12 more days to go before surgery. I'm going to have to figure something out here and see what I can do to make myself follow the diet. I think I'm letting myself get too hungry and then I see food and attack it. I'm going to try and spread my food out a bit more evenly tomorrow and see I that helps. Any tips?

Your not alone I'm 6 days into my pre op diet and I've cheated too! I feel I'm hunger at night so I've been eating baked talpia wrapped in lettuce but one night I have brisket!!! Uuhhh just hang in there one day at a time!!

I'm so disturbed by my inability to follow the Preop diet. I can't believe it but I just ate a hot dog! A hot dog!!! It's been years since I've had a hot dog. I don't even really like them that much. Weird. I'm quite disgusted with myself. I have 12 more days to go before surgery. I'm going to have to figure something out here and see what I can do to make myself follow the diet. I think I'm letting myself get too hungry and then I see food and attack it. I'm going to try and spread my food out a bit more evenly tomorrow and see I that helps. Any tips?

It kind of sounds like maybe you are thinking about food you cannot have for a while and craving them, like the hotdog. Remind yourself that you can have those foods again later in small quantities and that you don't have to say goodbye to any of them forever. I am in the middle of my preop now, and it helps to think of this is the beginning of the weight loss I don't continue after surgery. I also think it helps if you really like the shakes your drinking! Get some that you like, and try to think of this at the beginning of the surgery process instead of yet another diet that you want to cheat on. If nothing else consider how much smoother your surgery will go if your doctor doesn't have to work around the larger liver. Good luck!

Hi Everyone,

I have my surgery Tuesday (April 22nd), I have followed the pre-op surgery instructions given to me by drinking on the shakes (4 per day) and one black coffee. I feel really hungry. I am just wondering if I ate something (just anything) if the could cause the doctor to decide to not do the surgery. I just need something solid,

Has anyone else cheated this close to surgery?

OK, sorry if this has been explained elsewhere. I just can't seem to get my head around this. Why must I follow a 2 week pre-op diet that has a sole purpose of getting me into ketosis? I understand the need to shrink liver and start burning fat. Couldn't that be done eating a height Protein diet anyway? I ask this as I try to usually eat whole organic food. Suddenly shifting to protein powders and artificially sweetened Jello is just kinda gross. I don't eat jello anyway. What would it hurt if I had a few small pieces of lean sushi (no rice)? Thanks! Jason

Jason, I'm with you! I eat only organic food prepared in my home. I never eat fast food, don't consume any fake sugars, I also don't eat red meat or chicken and rarely have dairy. So the Protein Shakes are weird for me. It's like they gave everyone the same generic diet without taking their lifestyles into consideration.

I met with my NUT on 4/7 and cut carbs and sugar... Basically lots of protein and some veggies until 4/13 when the pre-op diet of two shakes and a small dinner of lean protein and veggie started. I've lost 8 pounds and have not cheated.

In my preop meeting with my dr he was talking about having sf jello and sf Popsicles and I told him I had no interest in putting that crap in my system and that I don't even like the taste of fake sugars and he just told me that your tastes change post op :-/

I figure it's two months of doing what I'm told before I can eat reg food again and when I can, it will be good wholesome organic food and I won't have to have all of this chemical crap anymore.

-MM

Hi Everyone,

I have my surgery Tuesday (April 22nd), I have followed the pre-op surgery instructions given to me by drinking on the shakes (4 per day) and one black coffee. I feel really hungry. I am just wondering if I ate something (just anything) if the could cause the doctor to decide to not do the surgery. I just need something solid,

If you made it this far don't give up!! Hang in there, Tuesday is right around the corner. Stay focused you can do it!! ;-)

Penny24,

You got this. You would only be cheating yourself, it has nothing to do with the doctor. That said, my Protein shakes come in a carton so I can freeze them and cut them out of the container. You could blend with ice for a slushie experience??

Add a little cold coffee and ice for a bariatric- frappicino! :)

Hi Everyone,

I ate some egg whites for the first few days. Now I am on liquids, sf Jello and broth only. Ugh I can't wait till Monday.

Hi Everyone,

To be honest, yes, I did cheat that close to surgery. The day before my surgery I had 3 small bites of pizza. In my last pre-op class I was in they told us that if we absolutely felt crappy to go ahead and eat a small chicken breast. As long as you've lost a fair amount of weight before your surgery on your pre-op, I really don't think they'd cancel. BTW, my surgery was Monday and I don't even feel like I had surgery. I feel great!

Today was much much better. Had a shake for Breakfast, shake for lunch and 2 oz of tuna, Snacks of raw cucumbers, sugar free Jello and Popsicles and a lean cuisine for supper. I spread it all out and feel so much better today. Each day is a new day! I'll see if I can do better tomorrow!

Jason, I'm with you! I eat only organic food prepared in my home. I never eat fast food, don't consume any fake sugars, I also don't eat red meat or chicken and rarely have dairy. So the Protein shakes are weird for me. It's like they gave everyone the same generic diet without taking their lifestyles into consideration.

I met with my NUT on 4/7 and cut carbs and sugar... Basically lots of Protein and some veggies until 4/13 when the pre-op diet of two shakes and a small dinner of lean protein and veggie started. I've lost 8 pounds and have not cheated.

In my preop meeting with my dr he was talking about having sf Jello and sf Popsicles and I told him I had no interest in putting that crap in my system and that I don't even like the taste of fake sugars and he just told me that your tastes change post op :-/

I figure it's two months of doing what I'm told before I can eat reg food again and when I can, it will be good wholesome organic food and I won't have to have all of this chemical crap anymore.

-MM

i did not do any "sugar free" stuff. i dont even do stevia. i did do a Protein shake with sugar alcohols in it. i used coconut sugar post op. its a low glycemic sugar. i dont eat Jello, or SF pudding or popsicles or "lite" yogurt. i did do grass fed Gelatin, eddies fruit pops (the ones with 60 calories.. not splenda), cottage cheese and vanilla or plain greek yogurt. i have juiced cucumbers (and other veggies), made lots of bone broth and drank plain coconut Water. i made popsicles with coconut Water and yogurt too! i have lost 80 pounds post op and so feel like i must be doing something right! my nut agreed she doesnt do artificial sweeteners and so encouraged me to find low sugar whole foods to eat post op.

Hey guys,

I'm a postgrad med student from Australia (week and a half post op). From the research that I've looked at, and chatted to a few doctors about; it's all to do with your liver.

Obese individuals have a condition which is called 'fatty liver' and involves fat accumulating around the liver which causes it to often cause sclerosis and a lot of scar tissue forming. This is because of our high fat & sedentary lifestyles, and it can cause the liver to become very brittle and 'break' or 'fall apart' easily if moved.

During surgery, surgeons have to move the liver the get to the stomach, and the problem they had in the past was there was a high amount of liver damage from the surgery.

Tons of research and experiments has been done where two weeks of a no/low fat & carb diet actually reduces the fat around the liver drastically.

To sum it all up;

Two week preop diet = reduced 'fatty liver' = much lower risk of complications during surgery = Sucky and difficult but definitely important and worth sticking with it