Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Practically bald please desperate for advice

Had surgery September 2013 I started losing my hair in December. And it's not the small amount of Hair loss described I have severe balding in the crown area I can't wen cover it up with parting my hair because threes no hair to cover it with. I drink my Protein I take my Vitamins. I was using Biotin but it was not helping bit was growing hair everywhere else but my head. I'm so desperate right now everyone stares and ask questions. And people are so rude. I rally go home and cry. I asked my surgeon and she doesn't have answers for me my endocrinologist doesn't have answers for me. If anyone has any advice please share.

I was told by my doc that Iron intake is the key to limiting hair loss. Consequently, I was told to eat a lot of red meat and take loads of Iron.< /p>

I must admit, the moment I started doing this (loads of red meat, two spatone sachet's, two multi Vitamins a day), my Hair loss has slowed considerably.

Shame I didn't know this before my temples became really sparse... However, I am glad that its slowed significantly.

Sorry your loss has been so dynamic and wishing you a speedy recovery. :(

@@OHHLALA I'm so sorry that this happening to you! I've been using the Biotin and it has been helping. Like @@Madam Reverie I've also been taking Iron everyday and while that I have significant hair loss, I feel like it's manageable. A girlfriend of mine who was loosing hair because of Lupus has been taking http://www.hairfinity.com/ She SWEARS by it. I will say that her hair looks fuller to me. I'm thinking that once I finish with my giant bottle of Biotin, I'll try the Hairfinity. Now, the reason for her Hair loss is different than the reason for our hair loss, so that might make a difference in the results.

Hope something thing works for you soon!

Unfortunately, for some people, nothing helps with the hair loss :( I started losing at 5 months and I'm still losing at 8 months. I've lost over half my hair. I am taking Iron, Biotin, and MSM. I also have always gotten all my Protein.

Stuff that helps hide it:

• Aveda has products that help a lot with adding volume. I use a spray plus a mix of two gels - stop by an Aveda salon and explain your problem. This has helped hide my Hair loss well.
  • There is a product that is basically a powder (get it in the color of your hair). You sprinkle it on and it hides the scalp showing through. There are several brands so google "hair loss powder" and they will come up
  • Get a wig if all else fails

Best of luck to you. Sending hugs.

I second the recommendation for the powder/fiber stuff that fills in thinning hair. I had to use that stuff starting WAY before surgery due to bad genetics. :(

But it really does work well! My favorite brands were Toppik and Nanogen. My advice is if you are going to buy it, buy one canister in a shade you think will match your hair and another canister in the next lighter shade, just to be sure.

I eventually had to go to getting what they call a bonded topper, which is kind of like a toupee for women. Again, this isn't surgery-related, it just sucks to have my bad genes when it comes to hair. But I love my "piece" and wouldn't be without it now.

Since you are in New Jersey, you would want to go to Flora -- they are one of the best if not the best with toppers and other Hair loss solutions. This kind of thing is expensive but you may want to at least check it out. Mine has really changed my outlook and feeling about myself in an incredibly positive way.

http://designbyflora.com/

Lastly, you might want to consult a dermatologist if you haven't. They are the doctors with the most experience with hair loss IMO. You might specifically ask whether steroid shots in the scalp might be helpful in your situation. Good luck, believe me, I feel your pain!

I have posted this before, but it is always a topic I will respond to. I am about 75% bald at this point, and I wear a wig. I had my surgery on 10/21 and began wearing the wig over the Thanksgiving holiday. My situation is a bit complex, and I have no idea if it will ever reverse. I had a full head of hair as a child and teen. Then around my mid twenties it thinned considerably. I was eventually diagnosed with PCOS. ( I have lots of other issues from it too) At age 39 I had a baby and while pregnant with her my hair was as full as ever. But once my hormones adjusted after her birth, it was worse than it had been previously. I started using Toppik hair fibers at that time and was satisfied with the coverage for a few years. I suffered from not one but two DVTs(blood clots) and PEs.( pulmonary embolisms) While I am lucky to be alive, I was eventually put on blood thinners for the rest of my life. That continued to thin my hair more than it already was. When I decided to have WLS I knew the odds were great that I would lose enough hair that I would have to cover with a wig, so I started shopping around late last summer. My suspicions were correct and I did become a "hair hat" wearer. Since November my hair has thinned even more. I look like a very sick person without my wig on. I am not happy about it, but it is part of the deal for me. I accepted it was possible and I have made amends with it over the months. I may or may not regrow some of my hair once the post op "big fall" is over. I would love to have a head full of hair again, but that may never be. I am ok with it because I am thinner now than I have been in almost 20 years. My aches and pains that limited me are gone. I pray I have decreased my chances of having another blood clot. I have more energy for my daughter. And getting ready is so much faster when your hair is ready to go! I am not sure you will find the answers you need to help with your Hair loss, but I do want you to know there are options. And you are certainly not alone.

March 7, 2014

[aredmedia=gallery:images:4091]haredmedia=gallery:images:4091
haredmedia=gallery:images:4091]

I have thin baby fine hair- I've never been able to grow out hair and do cute stuff with it other than tons of product.

I'm very serious, when my hair starts falling out -- I'm going to get a couple of wigs!! The human hair ones at

wigsbuy.com are great looking- pick a style-

I went to a wig store- they let me try on and explained the different caps, how to care for them-then I started looking on line-just know that my hairs already thin and fine- I won't need to lose much to fill like I'm bald-

Thank you everyone. I spoke to my doctor today he said my Iron was fine and so was thyroid. He said there is no reason why I'm losing my hair. I'm so desperate at this point. I know it could be worse, but I can't handle the stares and comments. Yesterday I was asked if I was going through chemo ????.