Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just starting the process for the sleeve. I saw the Bariatric Program Director for my initial intake information. I have Barrett's Esophagus which is pre-cancerous cells in my esophagus and I put that on my intake form.

My concern is that I had read somewhere that you can't have bariatric surgery if you have this condition but he never batted an eyelash when I told him. I want and need this surgery so bad so I was glad it didn't seem to be an issue. But, now I am afraid I am going to jump through all the hoops only to talk with the surgeon after months of anticipation and work to be told I can't have the surgery. That would be crushing.

My question is has anyone else with Barrett's Esophagus had this surgery and how has it affected you? I can only think that a 100 lb. necessary weight loss would be good for me in all ways.

I sincerely hope I can get some feedback on this. Thank you...

When i had my endoscopy initially my doc told me he thought i had Barretts Esophogus and that i could

Not have gastric sleeve if that were the case turns out i was clear but he said i might of only been able to have bypass or the band because of the pressure created by the sleeve. I had never heard about it before that day and wanted to cry because I had been looking forward to the gastric sleeve however it's really good that you know in advance that you have it so gastric sleeve may not be an option for you. At least no disappointments no surprises

Thank you Buterfly25 for your response. I think I will call tomorrow and try to get a definite answer.

So in case anyone else was wondering..I called AGAIN and found out from one of the surgeons who said there is no reason why I cannot have the surgery but instead of the sleeve I may need the bypass but he would not know that for sure until I do some tests. I really don't care which one I do, I'm just so happy I will be able to have bariatric surgery and begin a new phase in my life!

I understood from my Dr that Barretts esophagus would eliminate the possibility of the sleeve

Butterfly25, yes, that was my understanding also. That is why I made sure the intake information listed it and I brought it up specifically. I still didn't feel good about it so I called about a week later specifically to know for sure. One of the surgeons who performs the surgery told me I may have to switch from the sleeve to the bypas but other than that I should not have any problems with the surgery. SOOOOoooooo, I am going full forward with hopes of the best! :)

I have Barrett's as well and am scheduled for the sleeve on May 7th. My dr said that he just doesn't see a lot of reflux after his sleeves. I will continue my Prilosec afterwards. I was totally against the bypass so it was not even an option for me. I am hopeful losing weight combined with changing what I eat will help the reflux.

Hi Sleeve2014, so I'm not alone on this journey! Someone else has one of my "conditions". I was ALL set for the sleeve. It's really what I wanted, but I have to be open to the bypass if indeed that is the only one the surgeon here will do on me.i don't even have a visit with the surgeon until my supervised diet is almost over which won't be until the end of June.

Would you mind sharing with me why you prefer the sleeve to the by pass? I'd love to keep in touch with you and hear how it is all going for you. I hope the sleeve is everything you hope it to be. It sounds like it will be.

Good luck on your surgery and to your continued success. It is so exciting to know there are so many people out their taking charge of their lives, doing something positive for them self!

Thanks Nancy for the well wishes! For me personally, I just never felt comfortable with the bypass. I have a couple friends who had bypass and both ended up malnourished and in my opinion lost too much weight and looked bad. I know the bypass is the preferred choice if u suffer from bad reflux (and Barretts), but it just never felt like the right choice for me. I know it will be imperative that I follow my drs orders and food plan exactly to ensure the reflux doesn't read its ugly head but I am committed to doing that. Hope everything goes well with ur surgery and I plan to document my journey here after surgery....so be lookin for me! :-)

I also just found out that I have Barret's esophagus & have been freaking out ever since as the doctor explained it's a PRE-malignant condition although most people don't get the "C" word; he wanted to do the bypass instead which I'm totally against since I don't that much weight to lose; it was meant for me to explore this surgery since I wouldn't have found out about the Barret's; I knew the sleeve wasn't meant to be so now I have to lose weight the old fashioned way, everything happens for a reason I guess.

The bypass rocks too... either one you still have to do all the same to make it a success. I encourage anyone that has pre existing conditions that could cause you another surgery down the line to just make the best decision for yourself. I wish I'd known at the time of my surgery that GERD is a bad combination with the sleeve, I would have just gotten the bypass first. Now I am fighting for a revision to the bypass as I am having bad complications. All the best to all of you!

Sleevie2014, thank you for your comment. I will be looking for you. It will be interesting to compare our journeys since we both have Barrette's. Perhaps we will even be able to share solutions to common ailments, but most of all just to cheer each other on!

Thank you everyone for your comments. It is so nice to find a community that is there for each other, willing to share their information gathered either first hand, from their doctors or even their friends.

I'm sure we all go through the same up and down roller coaster ride, second guessing ourselves, and there seems to always be someone here to give the encouragement needed.

What a wonderful group of people!!!

Thank you!

I am 9 days post op now and have done great so far! No nausea, no reflux. :-)

Yay Sleevie2014!!! You are on "the other side"!!!! Congratulations!!! I'm so happy to hear how well you are doing. That is just GREAT!!! I can't wait to get on the losers bench with you! Please keep us posted with updates when you can. So, so happy!