Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 16th role call - who's with me!

I started taking Biotin before my surgery and I'm still noticing a bunch of hair loss. I go back to my nutritionist tomorrow so I'm going to see if she has any suggestions. Sorry to everyone else that's losing it. It's so much fun to feel good about my weight loss but I am freaking out about the hair. Trying not to be vain. It's noticeable to me...but don't think everyone else can see yet. I've been using volumizing products when I style it and I've gotten a lot of compliments. So hopefully I'm hiding it.

Bluesea71 - thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely look into it.

Butterfly - so excited for your dating life. How fun!!! Enjoy it and don't stress about telling him. If you continue to see him, eventually I think the opportunity will present itself to discuss it. It's weird....I didn't think I would tell anyone...and there's certain people it just comes right out of my mouth and others I choose not to tell. Have a great time!

Let me know what your Nut says! I would love any advice. I'm taking the Biotin but I swear the only hair that is growing quickly is on my legs!! It's definitely working there! Lol! No period since May and hair falling out like crazy is worrying me!

I had my 3 month check up with the dietitian on staff a few weeks ago. The topic of hair loss was addressed. She suggested: 80 grams of Protein per day, 65 mg Iron, Biotin 2.5 mg (2500 mcg), Zinc 15mg , Flaxseed oil - 2 capsules. She also stressed the importance of some fat in the diet (avocado or peanut butter) to help process fat soluble Vitamins.

My Hair loss is pretty bad.... But somehow I've learned to accept it. We all knew it was coming, right? And we all know it will eventually stop and grow back in. If you google "hair loss related to weight loss" tons of articles come up. Get on Amazon and order some Toppik. The stuff really does help conceal the thinning parts on your scalp. Just make sure you buy the pump applicator to apply it.

Edited by Bluesea71

I haven't had hair loss as bad as that pic, but I'm definitely losing a lot. Thankfully I think I'm the only one who can tell. I haven't been washing my hair often either and only comb it one time a day. I've been taking the Biotin for about two weeks but haven't noticed a difference. Am I the only one ticked that it's only the hair on my head falling out and not my unwanted body hair? That stuff seems to be growing just fine and I couldn't pull it out if I tried. I was reading up on the Hair loss though and someone suggested the Fall Fight shampoo/conditioner from Garnier. I ordered the Shampoo and I'm going to try it. I feel like it can't hurt at this point.

I'm sure mine is from Vitamin deficiency. I haven't been taking my Vitamins like I should - in part because of my thyroid issue. I have to take everything so spaced out that I always forget something. I've also been eating terribly (ie: eating whatever I want, be it ice cream, Pasta, rice, bread, soda - all those no-nos) but yet I've lost more weight since I started doing that than when I was eating right. I basically have what I want, but it's still in the tiny portions. I've lost at least 20lbs since I started doing that around three weeks ago. Go figure!

I'm on a stall. Still 205 and hanging. Been working with my trainer four times a week starting this week. I already see a huge difference in the last three weeks in my skin but still not where I want it to be strengthwise but hey I'm a work in progress!

So, I'm really happy I started dating. Since meeting Saturday me and "the man" haven't spent but one day apart. I am totally smitten. I still haven't told him about surgery. He has made lil comments about how I don't eat much. He hasn't quized me. I think it may come up tonight. I'm sooo dang nervous. He is on my Facebook and said how great I look now compared to my old picks. I don't know why it's such a big issue for me. If be okay telling him if I had a kidney, ovary, or gull bladder removed. Why is it such a big issue that I had the majority of my stomach removed? It's awesome though that we both love sushi. He orders like three different things and I eat a piece if two of each and he kills the rest. Teamwork. Lol.

I'm having a hard time recognizing myself in the mirror lately. I can't believe how thin I've gotten. I'm getting upset having to keep buying new clothes. As a person who doesn't like shopping I feel like I'm doing it constantly. Thinking about finding some stuff I like and buying it in the next three sizes down.

How is life everyone?

I know I sound negative but life is actually really amazing. I feel so blessed. I'm ok with stalls, I'll tell the man tonight and hey it's my insides that matter, and I guess I'll find someone who loves to shop and pay them to do it for me. Hahaha

I discussed the Hair loss with my NUT on Wed. She asked if I took Biotin and I told her I started it and have taken it faithfully since a few weeks before surgery. She said to amp up my Protein and try to get around 80 g per day. She said if I'm having trouble getting it through food and shakes to add Unjury or another brand of unflavored Protein Powder to my meals. Just shake it on top of whatever I'm eating. So we shall see.....

Thanks for the info, mysleeve. I'm going to try to start doing that and see if it helps. I'm hoping switching Multivitamins will help as well. Definitely update us if you notice that is making a difference.

Oh and I forgot to check in because I ended up working late due to my appt. So quickly, down to 178. 1.2 lbs lost this week. NUT said as we get closer to our goal weight the weight loss will slow down and not to get discouraged. I'm not because any weight loss is weight loss and I haven't had a stall so I'm grateful.

Success this week I went to the gym 4 days and the week isn't over yet! Got in an hour on the elliptical and about to start weights (just a little to tone) next week. Just don't want to embarrass myself not knowing how to work the equipment. Uh....

I'm later date than you if you're all mid-April (I'm the 29th) and also not as far along with weight loss as some of you, but doing okay. Surgery day I was 276 and today I"m 219 and happy. I also started taking Biotin a couple months before surgery, and I get 70 to 75 gms Protein a day with only a rare 65 day here and there. I'll sure be more diligent! Also I take the fish oil and may start adding the flax seed oil too. My dermatologist said it would help my eczema possibly, but she advocates the seeds - I just can't get those suckers down! Hard to figure out where to add them, since I don't do any breads or cereals or granola to hide them in, and I'd sooner die than add them to my fabulous coffee Protein shake each morning! Anyway, I'm starting to see some hair loss now and I can feel my ponytail is much thinner now when i gather it up for my C25k or gym workouts. I"m going to get a little bit shorter cut to hopefully hide it too. Sigh. Still, I'd rather be slim, healthy and bald than go back to pre-pre-op weight of 287!

Kate

I haven't tried it yet, but I got flax seed meal (like corn meal) and you can sprinkle it on whatever you want. My dr recommended flax seed for Constipation. But it sounds like it's good for a lot of other things, too. I got mine at Trader Joes if you have one of them nearby.

And if I've already shared this forgive me....but I am no longer taking either of my two blood pressure medicines!!! That was my ultimate goal was to get off the medication and get healthy (not to mention lose weight and feel comfortable in my own skin again or maybe even for once...can't remember when I felt good about myseld, if ever) so no more meds for me!!! That was a great feeling when we gradually decreased it to no loner taking it. So happy. Now, sad part is my husband was just diagnosed with high blood pressure and the beginning stage of diabetes this week. So he is now trying to get approved for surgery. It will be so much easier to stay on point with us doing it together. Ok. I'll stop talking and go to bed. Felt like I needed to catch up with you all!

You ladies make me smile!! I'm so happy to hear everyone's successes!

I hit 185 today! Can't believe in April I was 251! I did talk to the Dr. This week about hair loss (she did blood work to rule out a thyroid issue since I haven't had a period since May and was calling to tell me all looked good). Same advice as everyone else. Get more Protein, take Biotin and don't stress about it because it's a normal part of the process. Easy for her to say! I'm trying to go 3 days without washing it to save as much as I can :/

I head back to work Monday......love being a teacher over the summer! Heading out tomorrow to shop. I've been trying for two weeks to find work clothes. It was easy before, I knew where to find fat clothes and how to dress my body. Now I have this new body and I'm unsure where to even shop! Heading out w some friends tomorrow to shop to bring the fun back.

Btw. I did go into my classroom to set up this week and saw a few teachers I haven't seen since mid June. They were shocked! I'm certain I will never be tired of hearing how great I look!!

My goal is to get back on track w eating healthy! I've been eating very little and need to up the protein!

I hope you all have a great weekend!

Awesome!!!! So excited for you! It is fun having random people tell you how great you look. That's when you know it's honest. I bet the students will notice, too! Enjoy returning to work and tell us how it goes. It is fun to share with everyone since we know everyone's struggles and now triumphs. Have a great weekend!

I have been quiet but am reading and the Hair loss has begun and I am trying to increase the Protein and of course taking the Vitamins but my doc says that in a few months this too shall pass it definitely sucks, but being 80 lbs down in 4 months sure doesn't! I will take the hair loss and keep it moving!! Hope you are all doing will and getting thin!! Xo

Lets see some UPDATES!

April 17, 2014 - Weight 298 lbs. (45.6 BMI) Surgery Day

August 26, 2014 - Weight 194 (28.6 BMI)

TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS- 104 lbs

Waist Size Pre-Surgery- 46 in.

Waist Size Aug 26, 2014- 34 in

Shirt Size Pre-Surgery- XXL

Shirt Size Aug 26, 2014- L (Maybe a Med. if i stretch it out.)

Share your success!

Edited by matt1912