Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 16th role call - who's with me!

I'm in recovery room. Did get nauseated with the first pain med. they switched it & nausea is gone. Feel some discomfort, from the gas & it really do feel like I did a ton of sit ups sore. Have hit pain pump once so far. Did 3 laps around hall.

How is everybody doing so far?

I'm in my room. Had lots of pain, but the pump is helping. Had a hiatal hernia repaired too so that is probably contributing to the pain. I'm mostly just really sleepy now. Docs said it went well though!

Glad to hear yours went well, Tangy. This is the beginning of our new lives!

I'm in my room. Had lots of pain, but the pump is helping. Had a hiatal hernia repaired too so that is probably contributing to the pain. I'm mostly just really sleepy now. Docs said it went well though! <br><br> Glad to hear yours went well, Tangy. This is the beginning of our new lives!

Glad pain pump is working for you. I just hit mine now sleepy. So glad this part is over.

Hey ladies!!!! Had mine at noon. I just got done with the swallow test and I've been walking evry two hours. Only been nauseous twice so far which was as soon as they have me the pain meda. But they gave me zofran right away and the nausea went away quickly. I have pain from the gas trapped in my abdomen but if that would go away I think the rest of my tummy would just be super sore. Going a lot better than I anticipated. Had only ice chips so far. When you do the swallow test, if you brush your teeth as soon as you can afterwards the horrible bitter taste is gone and I think that helped me from getting sick afterwards.

Im glad to hear the rest of you are doing well. I'll keep you posted.

Sitting in my room. Pain was worse than I thought in big incision area at first. I'm like a racehorse in the halls. Okay I'm lying. I'm like a old woman but I've done five laps. I can't do the pain Syrup so no more pain meds for me as of midnight. I'm okay with that. My surgery got bumped to 3 so it's only been a little over twelve hours. No gas pain burping or the other so I'm a bit worried. I have successfully sipped five ounces and kept them down which is amazing because I kept throwing up after the anti nasea meds. Been sleeping good though. Glad to hear you are all doing pretty well. Bug hugs.

My surgeon did two leak test. One in the OR & the swallow test. I passed both. Now they are bringing me a tray. If I can keep fluids down he might release me this evening. Think I want to stay until the original discharge day which is tomorrow. Just to make sure things go ok here & I can follow at home. Glad every body is doing well.

Hi everyone! I'm impressed you gals were able to check in yesterday! I was a wreck! I'm convinced this experience is like childbirth - if we were able to remember every detail with the same Intensity as in the beginning, I don't think anybody would do this!!!! Holy. Cow. I've have 5 other surgeries in my lifetime and the pain and recovery of this is much, much worse.

They found a hernia they had to repair during surgery, so the most pain has been where my stomach was cut and the hernia, I assume. One of the incisions really hurts. No gas pain as of yet.

My report of a must have in the hospital - your favorite pillow. The hospital ones are hard. I Have found it helpful to lay on my side and have pillows also prop me up in back. Forget bringing any fancy nightgowns. There would be no way to put it on with all of the IV and other wires connected to you!

I have Terrible nausea so was dry heaving all day/night. Good news is I feel a tad better today. I can only eat an ice chip or two, so worried about getting hydrated if I don't have the IV. My doctor should be stopping by in a bit. I'm tempted to stay a second night if they will let me.

I just got home. I had my surgery yesterday at noon. Still having the gas pains. But I was ready to come home because I couldn't sleep with everyone coming in my room every few minutes.

They gave me broth, crystal lite, Water, hot tea, and Jello. For some reason, the hot stuff went down nicely. The cold drinks felt like i was swallowing straight gas bubbles and were painful going down. I didn't even swallow the Jello because the texture was just too weird for me.

I'm on my way home (about halfway through a 10.5 hour drive). It's been really rough. I got basically no sleep last night and the pain that I'm in is nearly unbearable. It's a combo of gas and soreness, I think. They gave me hydrocodone for pain but that does nothing for the gas.

Honestly, if I'd had any idea the pain would be this bad, I might have chosen differently.

I'm glad to hear that all of you made it through. Hopefully these aches and pains that we're having will go away quickly and we can get started losing and enjoying.

Yeah the gas pains are pretty bad...which I dont understand because I walked more than anyone on my floor in the past 24 hours. I did 15 laps and they said 25 was a mile so they were all cheering me on....but each sip of Water or crystal lite feels like I'm swallowing straight gas bubbles. Anyone else having that issue?

Hi everyone! I'm impressed you gals were able to check in yesterday! I was a wreck! I'm convinced this experience is like childbirth - if we were able to remember every detail with the same Intensity as in the beginning, I don't think anybody would do this!!!! Holy. Cow. I've have 5 other surgeries in my lifetime and the pain and recovery of this is much, much worse.

They found a hernia they had to repair during surgery, so the most pain has been where my stomach was cut and the hernia, I assume. One of the incisions really hurts. No gas pain as of yet.

My report of a must have in the hospital - your favorite pillow. The hospital ones are hard. I Have found it helpful to lay on my side and have pillows also prop me up in back. Forget bringing any fancy nightgowns. There would be no way to put it on with all of the IV and other wires connected to you!

I have Terrible nausea so was dry heaving all day/night. Good news is I feel a tad better today. I can only eat an ice chip or two, so worried about getting hydrated if I don't have the IV. My doctor should be stopping by in a bit. I'm tempted to stay a second night if they will let me.

Sorry you are having so much trouble....they gabe me extra nausea meds because I told them I had a lot of trouble with nausea when I had my gall bladder out last year.

But I would definitely stay on the IV. I was ready to get home because I didnt sleep at all last night at the hospital.

Hope it goes better tomorrow!

I'm home tonight. Nausea is gone, but now replaced by that sore feeling of doing 1000 sit ups. It hurts so bad to cough! I would much prefer this as that first night was brutal! I had anti- nausea meds put in the anesthesia and also two types feed through the IV. I finally figured out it was the pain medicine they were giving me that was making me nauseous and I stopped it. I'm easily taking in liquids now and praying every day gets a little easier!

Edited by Bluesea71

I haven't had much nausea thankfully. They gave me a pill for it just in case though.

The pain has improved somewhat since last night. I medicated myself and slept. The suck part was having to get up to use the bathroom twice. I never realized just how much you use your stomach muscles to do things. I wonder how long it takes for the soreness to abate. I hate only being able to sleep on my back!

Regarding liquids, I can get down Water and lemonade flavored Crystal Light but when I tried to drink Water with one of the squeeze in flavors my stomach rebelled. I haven't even tried broth or Jello.

Thanks for posting your experience guys. It has helped me get through this knowing I'm not alone!

Hey guys had a rough night with gas, nausea & vomit once after drinking the liquid pain med too fast. They gave me two different type of nausea meds which worked. Gas pain is terrible! Been walking like crazy. seems to help some. Trying to drank the 3ozs of fluids but can only get 2ozs in.

Hi tangy. This is going to sound ridiculous but every time I take a sip of Water which is every five minutes by timer I jiggle my self and the same for gas pains. It helps. Seems to help more than walking. Every time I get up and sit back down I do a slight jiggle. I hope you find comfort. It's been working for me for hiccups too which were terrible.