Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight did you lose in 4 weeks?

I was originally scheduled to do a sleeve, but then blood tests kept getting worse, with no reason...and after spending a month and a half testing every inch of my body, nothing came up, so as an alternative we will do a lapband.

Thankfully my Dr. approved my date 1 week form today, leaving me little time to do all my research.

I know everyone is different, and I noticed that the general rate of weight loss is slow...but please share your numbers with me, I am hoping to get a mental average for different sex and age groups :D

I chose 4 weeks because I am going on a safari and would love to look good or better for the pictures :D

Please feel free to share any advice you have :))

Thank youuu

I'm 4 1/2 weeks post-op and at 4 weeks out I'd lost 13 pounds. 27 before that pre-op, 40 total. I'm still on liquids for the full 6 weeks after surgery. Like many people, I gained some weight right after the surgery, but after a few weeks, that was gone, and my loss has been steady. However, the band has nothing to do with this yet, because I'm still dieting, on liquids, and staying under 800 calories a day. Weight loss immediately post-op varies greatly due to the variety of surgeon protocols. I personally dont think it's worth comparing at that stage because it's not the band helping yet. Hope this makes sense. Having said that, I am thrilled I made this decision. I've begun walking 40 minutes a day without fail, and I feel great. My surgeon has a strict diet protocol right after surgery, and I think it's helped me develop the discipline I will need once I start solid food and begin getting fills. Good luck!

I needed to lose over a hundred pounds. I see from your ticker that you want to lose nearly twice that much. If you're doing a strict pre-op diet, you could lose 20 lbs. or more during that time. After the surgery however, you could gain from the Fluid buildup. Or not...

It's so individual that I don't think you can estimate anything for yourself. You might lose alot at first, or you might lose just a little. I lost all the weight I wanted to but I never lost more than three pounds in one week.

Just follow the rules...if you do, I promise, the weight will come off. Just enjoy your trip and don't worry about how you will look. My weight loss was not obvious until I dropped around 50 lbs. Honestly. And you won't drop that kind of weight in four weeks. So like I said, don't try to project.

Have fun on safari!

@@JustWatchMe Thank you , your reply was very informative. I have a question though, why do most people gain weight after the operation?

Can you tell me more about the Fluid buildup?

You are hooked up to IVs when you have the surgery. It's done so you don't become dehydrated. Those fluids can cause a weight gain. You can also have Fluid buildup from the trauma of the surgery itself. I'm not a doctor so I can't explain it in detail but for me, after I had the bi-lateral hip surgery, I gained 15 lbs. It wasn't from food....I was very swollen and that's where the gain came from.

Yes, what gowalking said is how I understand it. I was so bummed out that I didn't lose right after surgery, until it was explained to me that my body had basically been through a trauma and was still healing. Swelling, inflammation, fluids in the tissues. I calmed down and just kept following instructions. Now I'm losing. But again, it's the liquid low calorie diet, not the band, yet.

There's a lot of healing so losing weight the first 30 days is secondary. I lost 12 lbs in 30 days.

I am 26 years old, 5"10 and I have a desk job. I am not very active. I didn't have a pre-op diet and I weighed in at 343. A month after surgery I weighed 318. Totaling a 25 pound loss. I followed my liquid/jello/sugar free pudding/protein drink diet for 2 weeks. Around day 9 I had about 1/3 of an omelette and some mashed potatoes, then I progressed and had yogurt, cottage cheese, Soups, etc. I have my first fill next week.

I bought a nutrabullet and downloaded the "my fitness plan" app- they are some useful tools. Good luck!

I lost most of my weight in the two weeks before surgery. After surgery I gained 3 pounds and I've lost that and am now just starting to lose again after a long plateau.

I'm in my 50's

I'm 6 weeks out from surgery

As other posters have said, this will be different based upon so many factors. The band isn't quite working for me yet, I've had one fill and will soon have another, but I"m sticking with a diet that makes sense to me.

Best wishes

I had My lap-band place 3/11/2014 so I'm 5 weeks into my journey before my pre-op I was 207 the day of my operation I was 196 and today I am at 192 so most mine was in my 2 week Pre-op.

I am 52 years old.

I am currently 4 weeks post op. Everyone varies on there weight loss but at my 2 week check up i was 16lbs down. So far i have been very pleased with the results. Good luck and i wish you the best in your journey.

Hi, I am day 5 post op. I started my pre-op diet 31/03. I had the surgery last Friday. This morning I weighed in 7.5kgs down.. I think thats almost 16pounds? Feeling good. Finding I cant drink that much Soup or shakes at a time. I cant burp which is frustrating but I am glad I had the procedure done.

I did not really lose any weight after 4 weeks. Maybe just a few pounds.

I did not start losing weight until after my 2nd adjustment. I'm going for my 3rd adjustment today.

The band is put on at full capcacity, so after surgery there is not really any restrictions. It's up to you

When I started my journey I wanted to lose 139lbs, so of course the more weight you need to lose the faster it comes off in the beginning. I lost 16lbs during the 2 week pre-op diet and 20lbs my first month of being banded. Like others have said though the first month is about healing after major surgery. You will retain alot of Fluid at first due to your body going through major surgery. With that said, I didn't weigh and still don't weigh my self until my monthly visit at my surgeon's office. I find this helps me with my OCD, if you don't weigh as often you don't see those small stalls or ups and downs from what's most likely Water retention:-) I hope this helps and best of luck with your surgery! You will do great!