Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your typical day?

So, what is your typical day like food wise? I am at about 8 months post op and down 106 lbs since the beginning of my journey. About 85 lbs. since surgery day. I have a basic routine as far as what I eat but I am curious what everyone else does. I am still loosing but not like I want to. I am still doing my walking and bike riding but want to expand on my meals. Here is a typical day for me:

2 scrambled eggs and turkey sausage link for Breakfast.

Protein shake on the way to work.

Protein Bar mid morning.

2.5oz tuna pack for lunch

Protein Bar midafternoon

dinner varies but always high in Protein like turkey, fish or chicken.

Protein bar or shake midevening but never after 8pm.

I drink minimum of 5 16oz bottles of Water thru the day. No tea or soft drinks or coffee.

Does this sound ok or any suggestions on kickstarting again and moving the scale south some more? Also started more exercise as well.

In looking at what you are eating I would try to get yourself off of the Protein bars and shakes. Add things in like yogurt and string cheese for snack in between meals. Maybe some nuts and things like that.

I have not had a Protein Bar since before surgery and a shake since about 2 months out. I would bet if you start getting more Protein from regular foods you will start to see a difference.

The amount of fat loss you sleevers lose so shortly after surgery is mind boggling :wacko: . Are you not losing now or did it slow down to just 2 lb a week? jk

I agree with indecision. shakes may be unnecessary at this point. Filling up on more solid Protein may give you more satiety and you might be able to reduce your caloric intake a few hundred cals?

tmf

I am 10 months out. My typical day:

--early morning Protein Shake

--a couple hours later, Breakfast of 2 oz. lean meat wrapped in a romaine lettuce leaf, sometimes also have a couple of strawberries

--lunch around noon - a couple of ounces of lean meat, 15 grams roasted edamame, sometimes I add in a Babybel light cheese, a couple of prunes, or some green veggies

--afternoon snack - might be 1/2 container of Greek yogurt with some PB2 stirred in, some beef or fish Jerky, or another Protein shake

--dinner - varies a lot. Might be some kind of fish (a couple ounces) with green veggies, 1/4 c. refried Beans with a poached egg, or an avocado egg bake.

--evening snack - I don't always have this but I might have a piece of cheese, a couple pieces of dried fruit, or some Greek yogurt.

All in all I keep under about 850 calories and 60 carbs. Not always perfect but close.

The amount of fat loss you sleevers lose so shortly after surgery is mind boggling :wacko: . Are you not losing now or did it slow down to just 2 lb a week? jk

I agree with indecision. shakes may be unnecessary at this point. Filling up on more solid Protein may give you more satiety and you might be able to reduce your caloric intake a few hundred cals?

tmf

That was my thoughts on the shakes and bars. @@lsu2868 might be getting more calories than needed through that many bars and shakes in 1 day. Depending on the ones you consume they have sugars as well.

Stick to beef, chicken, and things like that. It will fill you up faster as well.

Agree with the posters about Protein shakes/bars. In particular Protein Bars usually come with a lot of carbs and or sugar. Check nutrition label. Maybe decreasing carbs will jump start weight loss again. Even in the beginning 3 servings of Protein bars per day sounds excessive.

Exactly what I need...good advice. Thanks. The Protein bars I eat are the Pure Protein brand which are 20 grams protein, 180 calories and 2 sugar. The shakes are EAS brand I believe, 25 grams protein, 1 gram sugar, 170 calories. I have thought about more natural Proteins from meats and cheeses and backing off the bars and shakes. Your answers helped reaffirm my thoughts.

Its not only the calories in the pure Protein Bars but the carbs! Sometimes calories might not be too much during the course of the day but your carbs could be too high. I try to stay at 50g of carbs or less per day.

Yep...never looked at the carbs...17 grams...wow. I feel like an idiot now...lol I have been avoiding breads and pastas because of carbs and been eating a ton without realizing it.

I'm pre-op but my nutritionist has told me a good rule of thumb for Protein bars and shakes is no more than 10 grams of sugars and no more than 5 grams of fat. Just bought a bunch of Quest bars at GNC and they are very low sugar/fat. And so far the ones I've tried are very tasty.

Yep...never looked at the carbs...17 grams...wow. I feel like an idiot now...lol I have been avoiding breads and pastas because of carbs and been eating a ton without realizing it.

Don't feel like an idiot. With as much as you're working out, you probably need more carbs than many of us, but I agree that the carbs in the Protein Bars in particular might be contributing to your slow down. They're shockingly carbolicious, aren't they? Every once in a while, I allow a Quest Protein Bar as a treat, but other than that, I just can't justify the calories/carbs.

Protein from real food is best, but I personally still include some Protein drinks, particularly on crazy busy days. My go-to Protein Drink consists of two scoops of Syntrax nectar unflavored whey Protein with two sugar free drink packets blended in a Blender Bottle absolutely full of Water. 80 calories, 0 carbs, and it contributes towards my protein and Water goals (though I also eat plenty of real protein and drink lots of pure water, as well). Here's the nutrition info from the label:

post-165959-0-89010100-1397501362_thumb.jpg

2.5 months out down 50 pounds, total of 67 since preop diet 3 months ago.

Breakfast: Protein shake

Lunch: 4oz canned chicken breast with mayo or tuna with mayo

Dinner: 3 to 4 oz fish or chicken breast with small amount of vegetable

Evening snack: yogurt

I drink 4 or 5-16 oz bottles of Water daily

<750 calories, <30 carbs daily, >100 grams of Protein daily

Not proud to say but no exercise for me.

Edited by Reviewer

Greek yogurt

nuts or seeds

lots of Water

a few Protein bars

a handful of fresh veggies

Vitamins and calcium chews

a fresh fruit

sugar free popsicles

Agree with everyone about the Protein bars. They are satisfying, but the carbs are far too high. I think 1 a day is a lot. I've been trying to limit them lately because they are total sliders for me. I'm sure you'll see a difference once you cut down to 1 (or none) a day! :)

Here's what I ate today:

-2 Weight Watchers cheese sticks

-coffee with 2 TBL half and half

-1 Feel Good Foods chicken spring roll

-1 bartlett pear

-1 Rudi's gluten-free wrap with 1/4 c. vegan "chicken" salad and veggies

-2 sugar-free popsicles

My calories are low today because I indulged a bit yesterday, but I always shoot for 750 calories a day.

Edited by Teachamy