Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I'm from Calgary. Just wanted to ask Solea78 how you were able to get AB health to cover some of your costs from your Mexico surgery. I was looking at not going thru the long wait in qualifying for the Red Deer hospital & going thru smart shape. I just went to the info session there last week & they say 8-12 month wait.. The self pay operation would be in Toronto & is very expensive, but they can get you in pretty quick. The op itself, plane fare (more expensive than flying down to the States), hotel for a week, & a caregiver...well let's say I would be paying for this op for quite a long time..yikes!!

To clarify I went to Red Deer hospital info session this last week. I also contacted smart shape, but that was thru email, right after the Red Der session. As I said, I was very upset & disappointed in regards to the Red Deer wait.

Hi there,

When I had my surgery, I requested a detailed receipt and just completed and submitted the paperwork requested http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/submitting-claims.html

I think I received about $2200 back

I live in Caglary and had my Surgery in Red Deer, It was worth the wait.

Hi Im from Calgary going to have RNY in Red Deer. Orientation is next week on the 19th was referred February 23, 2015 have had akmost all testing done. I have a great wonderful supportive female Dr. that is making sure we are having as many tests done a head of my appointments and I have copies of them all to take with me. I have also been tracking my daily food and excersize intake as well as weight fluctuations 2 to 3 xs a week and I log it with my food journal....

I am also curious about the Psych eveluation and what to expect. If anyone knows I would sure enjoy hearing from you.

Hi there, ok I am going to try this again I had previously wrote a big blog to you then it all deleted errrrrr I hate when that freaking happens.

Anyway, I am going to point form why you should wait and be patient. I just want you to know that I too wanted to go to Mexico and have it done much much sooner than waiting a year here to have it done. Then with all my research this is what I came up with and I am so happy I decided to do the wait. I will start with the pros of mexico'

1. you can have it done within a few weeks to a couple months

2. good excuse to have a vacation while your their

3. from what I have seen the surgeons seem competent

CONS OF MEXICO

1. no follow up care

2, no pre op care i.e. nutritionist, a Dr. who will give you follow up care when you get back

3. long plane ride home when in pain

4. any complications the Dr.s here do not like to get involved since they do things differently in Mexico and they just don't like having to fix someone elses mistakes.

5. you do not qualify for the free or discounted classes put on through WLS specifically the ASSISTED EXCERSIZE PROGRAM if you go throught the surgery here you get a discount a pretty good one to

PROS OF STAYING HERE

1. SUPORT SUPORT SUPORT

2. YOU HAVE A TEAM OF PROFESSIONSALS ASSIGNED TO YOU i.e. dietitian, psychologist, nurse, surgeon, your family Dr. they become the people you talk to

3. Prep work, tests, Dr.s to answer your questions are right here close by

4. They all speak English so there is no second guessing as to what is trying to be communicated

5. AHC will pay for it all if you are referred by your family Dr. with certain requirements that must be present. BMI, Health Issues, Health risks.

6. Learning how to eat for the rest of your life

7. YOU WILL NEVER BE ALONE

CONS OF WAITING AND HAVING IT DONE IN ALBERTA

1. The long wait before surgery

2. all the Dr. appointments you have to make before you get approved to make sure you are healthy enough to handle the surgery and that you don't have any risk of heart attack during the procedure

3. Having to follow to the tee what is expected of you put in place by your medical team

4. Its hard work

this is just some of the things I have thought about and checked into and eventually came to the realization that it took me nearly 50 years to end up this way I can wait even an other 1 or 2 years to reverse it for a long happy second chance at life

Edited by tracey49

Wow!! Thank you so much! You are amazing & such a sweet caring person to take the time out to write this all out...2x...really I do appreciate it. I wasn't thinking of going to Mexico. I apologize if I wasn't clear. I don't want to risk it because of al of my drug allergies.

I have decided to get it done in Montreal, with a self pay. I am getting a sleep apnea test done this Monday. I have to get colonoscopy, gastrectomy, chest X-ray, blood tests & eeg & ekg...so lots of tests. I have been on so many diets & know what I should be eating. My problem is Portion Control.< /p>

Again, I can't thank you enough for your very detailed, helpful information. Really I appreciate it so much. You don't know me yet you took the time out to explain to a complete stranger...it shows me you care. Thank you so much. I am humbled & honored that you took the time out to do this for me. I wish there were more people like you out there. Thank you Tracey

I am so sorry it sent 2x the first time I thought I hit the wrong key and deleted the whole thing I was so angry lol. So I had dinner then decided to try again. hahaha Of course I care. That s why I joined this site. We all need people who will care and help us along this terrifying yet rewarding journey. I am 49 years old and have had weight issues my whole life. my ex husband of 25 years used to tell me how fat and ugly I was from the time got pregnant with my first son till the day I left him 20 years later. But that's a whole other story. Anyway, I to seek advice from people on here that are at stages ahead of where I am at right now. I like as much information as I can possibly get so I can arm myself with information and facts. I also believe we are drawn to people for reasons beyond our relm of understanding I enjoy helping where I can and I am grateful for your reply as well. Where are you from? I am in Calgary

I am from Calgary too! Had a crappy marriage that lasted 19 years too long, lol...& I was married 19 years. Alcoholic cheating husband....

So you had dinner 1st? What was it, a whole 3/4 cup? Even tho I am teasing you, I am looking forward to eating only that much, lol!

I am 54..going to be 55 in Sep.. I plan on having the op Oct 13th when I get back from my cruise....I love being single, lol!!! I al hoping I can get all my tests done before then. I want to start getting better.

It didn't come thru 2x....just saying too bad you had to type it out 2x.

My husband sounds a lot like yours lol. No I am just going for my orientation this we'd. So I am really basically starting from square 1