Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision 1.5 yrs after band removal

Had my band out 1.5 yrs ago. I was successful for 5 yrs but it slipped. I have tried so hard this last 1.5 yrs but the weight keeps creeping up. I have finally decided to get the sleeve. I'm nervous about long term complications but I can't stand this anymore and need the help. Anyway. That's the very short of my story.

sounds like me. i did good with the band but had a slip too and i had it removed back in 2009. i regained all my weight and im struggling with the decision to have the sleeve or not. Im afraid!

I had my band slip 5 years ago. I exercised like a mad woman did every diet and took every pill under the sun with finally gaining all my weight back. I am having gastric bypass hopefully in May. All my paper work gets sent next monday. I am excited to be the real me God intended strong and healthy.

I am in the same boat too. I had my band placed in June of 2008. I started out at 220lbs. I had 3 fills within the first year and that was all I needed. I felt so blessed, initially, to be at my sweet spot. I lost the weight slow, but it came off steadily. After about 3 yrs, I got down to 159lbs. I felt great. Over the last couple of years, my band was feeling too tight. I couldn't tolerate some of the foods I could before and at times, I couldn't even tolerate things like yogurt, smoothies, or thick liquids in the mornings or evenings.

My life got so busy and I didn't go to the Dr immediately, but when I finally did, he removed about 2cc. All was well for another year, then it started feeling tight again. This time worse than before. I couldn't eat fish, chicken, some beef, salads, fruits, etc without having to spit it back up. The worst part for me was that some of the food was sitting in my stomach for several hours to days.

I recently found a new physician to accept me closer to home. He took out another cc and gave me medication for gastritis. The burning in my throat is gone, which is good and I can swallow things much better. Foods are rarely getting stuck and I am able to take pills without them getting stuck and dissolving in my throat instead (YUK). But now I am having reflux at night, which I didn't have before and when I eat or drink anything, it burns for awhile.

I was self pay the first time, but I am now married and my husband's insurance said they would pay for band removal and revision if I had a co-morbidity. Since gaining 25-30lbs back, I have developed high blood pressure, reflux, and my cholesterol although, still in normal range, is bordering the high end. I am so hoping to get revised to the sleeve, but I too am afraid. I am just so tired of feeling tired and fat. I have NO energy and feel depressed. I have no one to talk to about all of this except my husband and although he is encouraging, he isn't a good listener (bless his heart). He wants to FIX everything or offer solutions, when all I need to do is vent my frustrations. Because I had my surgery out of town, the local support groups won't let me attend :( All my coworkers are thin young women and they don't understand either.

I am sorry for the long post. I love this website and the support found here. I wish you all the best!!!!! :)

Sounds like my experience exactly. That's my worry with the sleeve. 5 years ago we didn't think the band would have all the complications that it does. What if the sleeve does too. I think the bypass is prob the best choice but I can't seem to take that step. I'm not sure why. So glad I finally joined this site. There are very few people if any who understand what I feel.

I think we all have to what's best for us. After going thru the pain of my band slipping and throwing up everything that was not liquid and losing way to much hair I was convinced after I had to have it out I would maintain my weight. It slowly came back I after research and checking out every bit of info I could I know gastric bypass is good for me. I don't want to leave the house had depression sore knees, hips and ankles., tired all the time! No sex drive( poor husband ). I am worth it ! We all are! I do t want to die from this sickness!! I don't want to live half a life!! So glad I have friends on here that really are in my same boat!

I am curious what made you decide bypass. My surgeon says it's the better choice, but for some reason I want the sleeve. She said I could change my mind up til the day of surgery. I still have a month

The sleeve hasn't been used as a wls for as long as bypass but partial gastrectomy has been around for a very long time. The only data they don't have long term with regard to sleeve is the weight loss data. Sleeve has proven to be a safe and worthy alternative. Good luck.

I am curious what made you decide bypass. My surgeon says it's the better choice, but for some reason I want the sleeve. She said I could change my mind up til the day of surgery. I still have a month

I have had three people very close to me have RNY including my mom. I know the weight loss and side effects they have had. All have been a but different but they have done amazingly well.,my surgeon also Encouraged me for RNY because he said I would have scar tissue from the band and it would be an easier surgery. The biggest side effect my mom had was no sugar. She eats very little of it and and does great.

wow everyone has been making such valid points on this topic. I can relate to the person who said, "Not one us thought the band would have such issues after 5 years and look at us now". I mean its true, right? i know I didnt think I would have a revision surgery because my band slipped and then that band slipped again and then I had it removed for good. I mourned the loss of my band even though it was making me sick, it was my only hope of having such a great loss and keeping it off.

Although who knows if i would have maintained the weightloss, as I only had the band for about 3 years. anyway, Im afraid of the bypass myself, so id opt for the sleeve. I had 1 dr recommend bypass because of scar tissue issues but i also saw 3 other drs after him and none of them felt I couldnt have the sleeve, they all said if it were too risky then they wouldnt even attempt it.

I read these posts everyday even though im on and off the fence about getting sleeved. I mean, i think Im giving myself one final chance at trying to lose some of this weight on my own. I think I know deep down that Ill need this surgery. I do have about 80 lbs to lose and Im tired of being depressed and looking around to see if im the fattest one arund or feeling less of a woman because of my weight. im just tired.

Im so worried that one day 10 years down the road Ill need my stomach for something or maybe ill get some sort of complication that they never knew existed. i know, im paranoid and im probally over researching it. it helps to hear what other people on here think too. Thank for all the input.

Personally I chose the sleeve (surgery was 4/9/14) because I still wanted a restrictive surgery. RNY is not considered restrictive. It's a malabsorption procedure. That scared me more. Plus, it's more invasive. It's actually not true that the sleeve is fairly new. The sleeve has been used for many years for patients that were too heavy to undergo RNY. They were sleeved until they reached a weight where they could stand the RNY surgery.

The thing that really encouraged me was my doc telling me that it's better than having a foreign object in my body. I was willing to have something wrapped and sewn around my stomach for years, so why not this? My therapist also explained that we don't need all of the stomach the we have. She went into the evolution of he human body and the availability of food now versus when we were hunters and gatherers. It made so much sense. My family and friends also eased me in by reminding me that people live healthy lives without whole organs. People are on here nonchalantly talking about having their gallbladder removed. Why? Because odds are it will not affect there quality of life negatively.

I'm rambling now, but those are a few things that helped me make my decision. I want to live a long healthy life and plenty of people have done it with having part of their stomach removed (for whatever reason). The band failed, but the sleeve is already working its magic.

Do more research. Talk to other medical professionals. Just make the best decision for you. Good luck!

I'm also one of those had the band/ slipped twice/ then revise to the sleeve. I had my band for 2 1/2 years before I had my revision. My doctor didn't even mention RNY. He says he hoping to never do another RNY because of malabsorption problems. He felt the sleeve was the best option for me. He would even like to move away from the doing the band because of all the problems that can happen. I originally lost 70lb with the band but ended up gaining 20 back. I had the sleeve revision in January and have only lost 12lbs since, but I've also lost 12in so it hasn't been a total discouragement.

I know i can eat more than a "virgin" sleever because of my sleeve being oddly shaped. My doctor had to start my sleeve under the scar tissue from the band. I still have restrictions but not as most sleevers do. I read about some only being able to eat 600-900 calories or less and I can easily eat around 1200-1500. So i really have to watch what kinds of foods I eat and make sure I exercise.

I've found life is much more easier with the sleeve. I don't have to worry about something getting stuck or throwing it up later because it was. I can eat anything without problems, except bananas on an empty stomach.... they make me sick and throw up! I don't even think about my sleeve because I feel totally normal as if i had a whole stomach. I know I'll be fine years down the road with just a sleeve of a stomach. My husbands grandmother had 2/3 of her stomach removed many, many many years ago because of bleeding ulcers and she is still alive and 94yrs old and feisty as ever!

Good Luck to all!!

nice to hear your story. I was banded and had a slip 2x as well. the first time i had another surgery to revise it and then the 2nd time i had to have the band removed all together. now 5 years later without a band I have gained all my weight back and Im struggling with the decision of if I should get sleeved. Im extra worried because of all the scar tissue i have and plus I have some staples left inside my stomach from when the dr removed my band so that all adds to leak risks!

I'm also one of those had the band/ slipped twice/ then revise to the sleeve. I had my band for 2 1/2 years before I had my revision. My doctor didn't even mention RNY. He says he hoping to never do another RNY because of malabsorption problems. He felt the sleeve was the best option for me. He would even like to move away from the doing the band because of all the problems that can happen. I originally lost 70lb with the band but ended up gaining 20 back. I had the sleeve revision in January and have only lost 12lbs since, but I've also lost 12in so it hasn't been a total discouragement.

I know i can eat more than a "virgin" sleever because of my sleeve being oddly shaped. My doctor had to start my sleeve under the scar tissue from the band. I still have restrictions but not as most sleevers do. I read about some only being able to eat 600-900 calories or less and I can easily eat around 1200-1500. So i really have to watch what kinds of foods I eat and make sure I exercise.

I've found life is much more easier with the sleeve. I don't have to worry about something getting stuck or throwing it up later because it was. I can eat anything without problems, except bananas on an empty stomach.... they make me sick and throw up! I don't even think about my sleeve because I feel totally normal as if i had a whole stomach. I know I'll be fine years down the road with just a sleeve of a stomach. My husbands grandmother had 2/3 of her stomach removed many, many many years ago because of bleeding ulcers and she is still alive and 94yrs old and feisty as ever!

Good Luck to all!!